Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: $3,000 for a 1911...got a Springfield Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Personally I’d very much go the route of having a Series 70 customized (pretty lightly — beaver tail, thumb safety, sights, refinish; you may have to go light on the front strap treatment). It will take time, so don’t sell off all your other guns.

You are also budgeted for a hell of a used gun, like a major name. This also takes time.

Personally I have been impressed enough with my Dan Wessons to suggest getting two of those — a GM and an LWC.

Don’t fuck with 9x19. It isn’t worth it. If you don’t already have a press, spend some of your budget on a decent one. Large primers may become available first.
    Thanks for this. Honestly, I’d almost prefer a used gun since it seems like most higher end guns for sale are Sunday drivers with very few rounds through them.

When you say don’t f with 9mm, is that regarding reliability or ammunition availability? If it’s ammo related, I’m ok there. My 550 is setup and I have, at my schedule, 2 years worth of 9mm components. I have way less 45 reloading components compared to 9mm.

In general, I’ve seen a few people recommend getting a series 70 and sending it out. Any recommendations on smiths/shops that are accepting work, or that I should look into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

I think the Alchemy would be better then modifying a 70 Colt; it seems like the Alchemy is built from the ground up out of the best components:

ACW frames and slides are designed by Schauland and incorporate both traditional styling cues with ergonomic features such as a high cut front strap designed for both comfort and control. The frames are made from domestic forgings and machined in house to his proprietary print specifications. The slides are constructed from bar stock steel to the same specifications. The grip safety, ejector and extractor are machined from USA sourced 4140-grade bar stock steel. Barrels are made in the USA from 416R certified hammer-forged stainless steel. Bushings are turned from 416 SS bar stock stainless steel. Ignition components are constructed in-house from 420-grade stainless steel billet. The hammer, sear, and strut are made precisely using EDM Wire technology machining. Disconnectors are constructed from tool steel. The external safeties are made by Cylinder and Slide.

The front strap is hand checkered at 25 LPI (lines per inch) and is smoothed to lines at the edge of the front strap for comfortable carry. The rear of the slide and frame are blended by hand and the barrels fitted the same way. The plunger tube is countersunk and properly staked. Of course, the barrels and bushings are hand-fitted as well.

https://www.recoilweb.com/alchemy-cu...ol-153949.html

Serious 1911 guys seem to be into them:

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/...eaponry.66749/

Its definitely one of the more elegant looking 1911's I've seen:

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    Nah, I want ol’ slab sides in my holster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You probably know this, but the EDC X9 fits 1911 holsters, so it qualifies as a "slab side".

That being said, I would suggest shopping the used market. $3000 will get you a 1911 that sold new for well over $4500. There are several used Wilson pistols available under that threshold, and the Wilson warranty is for the pistol. Hard to go wrong with a used Wilson. Examples priced just over the threshold but probably have some room to drop.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipmen...p-/88-2090236/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipmen...CP/88-2094206/

Here is a Baer Comanche that John Harrison fixed, so it will run. It also comes in under the threshold. I would not buy a Baer Comanche unless John had fixed it as I already have done that and paid to have him fix it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipmen...k-/88-1916006/

What are you looking for? Range gun, carry gun?

If you want a 45 I have seen Springfield Pro's sell for less than $2500 on gunbroker if you are patient.

More traditional looking option that I think is a good deal:

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/colt-series70

Honestly, I’d almost prefer a used gun since it seems like most higher end guns for sale are Sunday drivers with very few rounds through them.
    — Yup. I personally would only buy FTF or from a very trusted source and provenance.

When you say don’t f with 9mm, is that regarding reliability or ammunition availability?
    Reliability (I have two reliable 9mm 1911s out of two I’ve bought; it’s not impossible, you’re just making it harder on yourself for no reason), ‘feel’ (while sub-caliber is kind of
    fun like a Ciener kit, it is not the real deal and never will be), and terminal effect. While I carry 9s a lot with confidence, in the exact same package plus one measly round it makes no sense to me to give up an obvious difference in diameter and momentum when I shoot each caliber equally well.

In general, I’ve seen a few people recommend getting a series 70 and sending it out. Any recommendations on smiths/shops that are accepting work, or that I should look into?
    I’ll let others who have interacted with the market more recently comment. I have a gun at my favorite smith that is about to have it’s fourth birthday party. Lot of candles on that cake.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    I think the Alchemy would be better then modifying a 70 Colt; it seems like the Alchemy is built from the ground up out of the best components:
    So, no, Alchemy does not have anything to offer comparable to a Burton, Yost, or Garthwaite Colt.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I’ve owned guns from pretty much all the big names in the semi-custom world, and if I had $3,000 to burn on another 1911 right now, Alchemy would get my money.

During the last 10 minutes of his Ballistic Radio interview, Jason Burton of Heirloom Precision gives his thoughts on 1911s at various price points. Well worth the listen.

Ballistic Radio: TWO World Wars!

My 1911 is a Wilson Combat Protector Elite, and I highly recommend it. I echo recommendations to stick with a .45 for your only 1911.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Alchemy seems to be turning out some stellar guns but your choices for how you want your gun set up are limited to a couple drop-down menu options. If one of the Alchemy configurations happens to be exactly what you’re looking for, then place an order and don’t look back. However, if they can only get close to exactly what you’re looking for, maybe buying a Colt and sending it off to a smith is the best course of action. I’ve never owned a handgun in the $3k price range so I can’t speak from experience but I’m pretty sure I’d always have nagging feelings of doubt if my $3k handgun didn’t come out exactly like I had imagined it.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Does anyone know of a good 1911 pistolsmith who can turn around a $2000 work order in under 2-3 years these days?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List