Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: $3,000 for a 1911...got a Springfield Pro!

$3,000 for a 1911...got a Springfield Pro!

Good evening gang,

I’ve recently decided YOLO and to sell off most of my guns to fund a great 1911. There’s only so many 9mm plastic guns and 5.56 AR’s one dude needs.

Last 1911 was a Rock River Arms Basic Carry I had a few years ago. It was the nicest 1911 I’d had at that point, and I felt I could tell the difference between the Colt Wiley clapp I got sold to fund the RRA (better fit beaver tail, fitting of safety, etc). I ultimately got rid of it because I realized I wanted something nicer, it couldn’t really afford or justify it.

So I’m looking for my 1911 now. And also trying to figure out exactly what I want, and what I can get for $3k. Right now I’m leaning towards an Alchemy Custom Prime, or maybe add a few bucks for the prime elite. I’m leaning towards a 45 acp since I already have magazines and components for reloading. I’m also thinking going with 9mm since I already reload for it, easier to shoot, and the LGS currently has a 9mm Springfield Pro for $2600. I’ve always thought/read for reliability a 5” 45 acp from a reputable manufacturer is the easy button.

Are there any companies I’m overlooking? A few years since I’ve really followed the happenings in the 1911 world, so I’m probably a little out of date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

I mean, if you've already got Alchemy on your short list, go for it!

Nighthawk, Wilson, Guncrafter, maaayybbbeee Baer or STI, but I'd only step away from Alchemy in order to get Nighthawk's iOS system.

There's always getting a old Colt and throwing cash at it. That's my route, but in your shoes, I'd take that Alchemy, get it as a 9mm Commander, and never look back.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Aside from used, maybe a Nighthawk GRP?

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pistols/grp
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

What about something 1911-ish like a Wilson Combat EDC X9?

Get yourself a Colt, and spend the remaining $2300-2200 with a customer Smith of your choice. You will end up with something far better than you can buy off the shelf and built exactly to your specs.

Site Supporter
    Starting with a Colt Classic model and spending another $2K for customization is definitely a viable option.

Otherwise, I'd go Alchemy Custom Weaponry or maybe a Springfield Armory Professional or Custom Carry. The Colt Custom Shop is another alternative -- they are turning out very nice hand built guns in the $2200-$2400 price range.

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    Good evening gang,

I’ve recently decided YOLO and to sell off most of my guns to fund a great 1911. There’s only so many 9mm plastic guns and 5.56 AR’s one dude needs.

Last 1911 was a Rock River Arms Basic Carry I had a few years ago. It was the nicest 1911 I’d had at that point, and I felt I could tell the difference between the Colt Wiley clapp I got sold to fund the RRA (better fit beaver tail, fitting of safety, etc). I ultimately got rid of it because I realized I wanted something nicer, it couldn’t really afford or justify it.

So I’m looking for my 1911 now. And also trying to figure out exactly what I want, and what I can get for $3k. Right now I’m leaning towards an Alchemy Custom Prime, or maybe add a few bucks for the prime elite. I’m leaning towards a 45 acp since I already have magazines and components for reloading. I’m also thinking going with 9mm since I already reload for it, easier to shoot, and the LGS currently has a 9mm Springfield Pro for $2600. I’ve always thought/read for reliability a 5” 45 acp from a reputable manufacturer is the easy button.

Are there any companies I’m overlooking? A few years since I’ve really followed the happenings in the 1911 world, so I’m probably a little out of date.

Not a 1911, but 1911ish - the Dan Wesson DWX is due to be released fairly soon. 1911 trigger, CZ ergonomics, 19rd magazines, and ~$1700; with your $3000 budget you could get the DWX + any of the $1700 Dan Wesson 1911's.

+

= ~$3000

Or you could get the Dan Wesson .45 ACP + a customized CZ Shadow 2 (2.75lb SA trigger plus lots of other upgrades) also within $3000.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/cz...-2-black-blue/

Just some alternative options.

It's hard to go wrong with the Alchemy Custom guns. The choice I made when looking at a higher end 1911 was the Springfield Pro and I'm quite satisfied by it for a .45. I got to run around Shot Show talking to various makers years ago and the one that really 'spoke' to me was the Pro. I waited until I found a pristine used one and bought it. About 4.5k rounds fired and I've never had any issue or misfeed. I'm still very happy with my choice. I have a little LW Champion custom that gets way more holster time than the full size steel Pro.

Went to a gathering of folks from the 1911Addicts.com site at Whittington Center a while back and got to play with a wide variety of semi and full-custom guns. Rogers Precision and a Joe Chambers gun were the standouts out of the full customs. Got to shoot a Wilson EDC X9 there and within the first 3 shots, knew I had to have one. I've since purchased the mid-size and the small model and am extremely impressed with what the small gun can do. Almost to the point of selling the mid-size for another X9s.

Good luck finding your gun and let us know what you choose!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    What about something 1911-ish like a Wilson Combat EDC X9?
    Nah, I want ol’ slab sides in my holster

"I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

$3,000 for a 1911...what’s my best option?

Personally I’d very much go the route of having a Series 70 customized (pretty lightly — beaver tail, thumb safety, sights, refinish; you may have to go light on the front strap treatment). It will take time, so don’t sell off all your other guns.

You are also budgeted for a hell of a used gun, like a major name. This also takes time.

Personally I have been impressed enough with my Dan Wessons to suggest getting two of those — a GM and an LWC.

Don’t fuck with 9x19. It isn’t worth it. If you don’t already have a press, spend some of your budget on a decent one. Large primers may become available first.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List