Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCP Air rifles?

PCP Air rifles?

I have been considering getting a PCP air rifle in .25 or .30 for shooting in the yard (I have a really big yard) and for taking care of small varmints/pests. I have been using my .22LR with a can on it, but I think the PCP will be a little quieter and be a little better for shooting coyotes that have been invading the compound.

I am particularly interested in any experiences with comparing the sound of a .22LR bolt gun shooting Subs/SV rounds through a can and a .30 and the "modulator" on a PCP.

If I jump into this I plan on getting a FX or equivalant quality gun and I will be shooting "slugs" through them.

Can someone here talk me out of this insane idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post

Can someone here talk me out of this insane idea.
    I can try.

.38 special wadcutters through a suppressed lever gun.

Right?

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I do have an SiCo Omega 36M that would work with a levergun.

Site Supporter
    I shoot PCP in my backyard b/c I have to but if I lived in a place where I could legally shoot a firearm I would be all about suppressed. Doing it full on right (scope good enough to match the Impact's quality, compressor, etc) is going to be >$3000. That's a lot of dough to end up with less kinetic energy than you are already getting with your .22LR. If you want more power I second the suppressed lever suggestions above. .38 Full wadcutters don't feed in my Henry Big Boy X btw, but semi wadcutters do.
    Adam

I just jumped into this pool, no lessons, no life guard and somehow I am swimming. I ordered an Air Venturi Avenger .25 from Pyramid Air for $300 Air Venturi Avenger, Regulated PCP Air Rifle | Pyramyd Air and I got a silencer and adapter from DonnyFL DonnyFL - Airgun Suppressor - Edgun, Vulcan, FX, Hatsan & Kalibrgun I mounted a scope that I already had. This set up shoots better than any firearm I have ever had even my long range gun that I built. I went 16 for 16 at 80 yards on a 1 inch steel .22 target. I haven't hunted any thing with yet but soon. I have only had this for 2 weeks now. This is a/the perfect entry level PCP rifle. Depending on your backyard you may not need a suppressor. It is very quiet as is with the modulated barrel. I only did it because I could.

With that said lets jump into the expensive part, The fill system. I am very fortunate that I am a firefighter and my department got all new SCBAs a few years ago. I was allowed to take all the "expired" bottles that I wanted. I grabbed a bunch thinking one day I would turn them into lamps. I'm glad I procrastinated. I have enough for a 4 bottle cascade system. I am so fortunate for this. I also did get a hand pump Air Venturi MK5 Pump by Hill Hand Pump, Up to 4500 PSI. Hand pumps. (pyramydair.com) It works very well to top the gun off but I would not want to fill one from empty with it. It took about 20 minutes to go from 2200psi to full at 4350psi and you will break a sweat. I am getting 50 or so good shots from a fill with the regulator set at 2200psi. There are tanks and compressors out there and it is all about how much you want to spend.

I am doing my research on optics and I have it narrowed down to 2. They are both Athlon Optics and I am unsure if I want to go with a first focal plane reticle. Athlon Optics 3-12x40 Talos, Mil-Dot Reticle, 1/4 MOA, 1" Tube. Variable magnification. (pyramydair.com) Athlon Optics 4-14x44 Talos BTR, FFP Mil IR, 0.1 MIL, 30mm. Scopes. (pyramydair.com) The 3-12 would be plenty. The FFP would let me use the hold overs and not worry about it being affected by magnification changes. Decisions... I do see my self going to a big bore at some point. I have a lot of research ahead.

If you break it all down $300 for a rifle, $200 for a pump, $150 for a suppressor, $200 for optics/mount and $50 in ammo you can stay under $1000 to get started

What could be quieter than a sub sonic 22 LR with a can? I don't like air rifles much when it comes to shooting critters and I have a pretty good one. I bought a CZ 455 to replace my RWS for that task. No restrictions where I live and I've never had any complaint from the neighbors. The sheriff would be at my door if they did.

But if you just want an air gun then you should have one.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    <snip> I got a silencer and adapter from DonnyFL DonnyFL - Airgun Suppressor - Edgun, Vulcan, FX, Hatsan & Kalibrgun. <snip>

If you break it all down $300 for a rifle, $200 for a pump, $150 for a suppressor, $200 for optics/mount and $50 in ammo you can stay under $1000 to get started.
    Looking at the link the rifle you got doesn't look threaded. How does the DonnyFL silencer attach? It doesn't require a stamp right? If you go with a bigger bore what rifle will you get?

I have a Corbin swaging press and I may get some dies for the slugs. I have a bunch of pure lead too.

Looking at the link the rifle you got doesn't look threaded. How does the DonnyFL silencer attach? It doesn't require a stamp right? If you go with a bigger bore what rifle will you get?

I have a Corbin swaging press and I may get some dies for the slugs. I have a bunch of pure lead too.

This adapter screws into the barrel shroud and is threaded to take any silencer that is threaded 1/2x20. This one supports the barrel to prevent clipping and makes use of the integral modulator. Air Venturi Avenger Extender 1/2 x 20 Adapter #A70 – DonnyFL

As why an air gun over a suppressed .22? For me its 100% legal with no form 1 and I can have it/shoot it on my boat as it is not a firearm,( I've asked). It is sufficient for my intended use and is range limited. This will help me gain access to some farms that don't allow firearms.

Will it replace my suppressed .22? For some things, yes but I'm not trying to replace it.

As to what big bore? I am only at the "How fast do you want to go and how much do you want to spend?" point in this adventure. The big bores start with a .257 and go all the way up to .50. The .357s seem to be the sweet spot for hunting whitetail deer. I don't want to go after anything bigger. I have a lot of research to do into the .30 calibers to see how effective they are. The Airforce Texan and the offerings from Beeman are the early front runners for rifles.

Things that have surprised me?. PCPs were a big thing back in ye olden days. The invention of the brass cartridge case killed them off. The effectiveness of putting an expanding slugs through the vitals of big game. Nosler has developed a bullet for air gun hunting. Cast hand gun bullets seem very effective, depending on type.

I started this thread on air rifles a while back. If you are in need of anything I cant recommend this guy enough. If anybody contacts him please let him know you saw it here.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....940-Air-Rifles
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Can you buy dies? As in pre made or do they have to be custom made?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List