Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .38 Special and .357 Magnum Ammo Choices?

Site Supporter

.38 Special and .357 Magnum Ammo Choices?

Long story short: All of the recent talk about the WC GP100 got me excited. I found one. I told myself don't be stupid. I slept on it. I told myself don't be stupid again. Myself said, "What's stupid is if you don't buy this right now." So... it should hit my FFL on Tuesday.

What I didn't do before I bought it was look at what it costs to feed this thing. Holy shit. The cheapest I see .38 going for is about $60 for 50 rounds of PMC bronze 132 grain FMJ. I know effectively nothing about revolvers and ammo choices in .38 special and .357 magnum. Right now I'm just looking for something that will allow me to get out and shoot the gun some as I start the learning process. So, my question here is, should I just buy the cheapest ammo I can find so I can get out there and shoot? Is there anything I should just stay away from? And yes, I am going to take a hard look at maybe getting into reloading.

Thanks

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    PMC will shoot fine. Other then sketchy reloads, the worst thing you have to worry about with cheap ammo is it being underpowered and/or not hitting at point of aim. Since the revolver doesn't rely on the ammo to cycle anything, unless it's no big deal.

Reloading is, IMO, the way to go for revolvers. You gain both economy and flexibility in terms of tailoring a load to a given task.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Thanks very much. I appreciate it.

Anything will be ok.

Plus you can dryfire like a crazy person

Unfortunately right now is a terrible time to be trying to find .38 and .357 ammo... unless you are willing to pay $1-2/round. Finding 9/40/45 isn't terribly hard, but .38 and .357 has been mostly impossible to find online for reasonable prices for a few months now. Reloading, normally, is the way to go. If you are starting from square one, its probably not very feasible. If you already load for other calibers, and have powder and primers, you should be able to find brass and bullets, but supply is iffy/spotty on almost everything, including dies right now.

Best of luck, whatever you end up doing.

Until a few months ago my default practice ammo for my .38s was the remanufactured wadcutters from Precision Delta. Haven’t seen it in stock in a long time.

The last time out I went through a couple of old boxes of Privi Partizan — shot fine but was filthy.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Anything will be ok.

Plus you can dryfire like a crazy person
    I resemble this remark.
    #RESIST

@Stephanie B, we’ve got another one!
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I resemble this remark.

Site Supporter
    Thanks all. I bit the bullet (har har) at $1.20 a round just to get something in the door and yeah, I see a lot of dry fire in my future. I don't reload now, so I may be out of luck for a while. But I'll start looking into it anyway.

User Tag List