Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .38 Special and .357 Magnum Ammo Choices?

Congrats on the new revolver.

I have (very) limited experience in ammo for .38, so the only comment I can add regarding selection is that a box of Mag Tech LRN 158 gr I shot once was pretty smokey.

But as the guys above said, these days I guess you buy what you can. I wasn't aware the prices of .38 had skyrocketed recently ,until I had a look at ammoseek just now. Wow. I bought a couple boxes of S&B 148 gr wadcutters last fall, for LCR practice ammo to my Federal Gold Medal Match 148 gr WCs, and am glad I got it.

Good luck with the new gun. I lust after a GP100, and look at them longingly every time I'm at my LGS.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    @Stephanie B, we’ve got another one!
    Another 3" GP.100?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Another 3" GP.100?
    Yup. The Wiley Clapp.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Long story short: All of the recent talk about the WC GP100 got me excited. I found one. I told myself don't be stupid. I slept on it. I told myself don't be stupid again. Myself said, "What's stupid is if you don't buy this right now." So... it should hit my FFL on Tuesday.

What I didn't do before I bought it was look at what it costs to feed this thing. Holy shit. The cheapest I see .38 going for is about $60 for 50 rounds of PMC bronze 132 grain FMJ. I know effectively nothing about revolvers and ammo choices in .38 special and .357 magnum. Right now I'm just looking for something that will allow me to get out and shoot the gun some as I start the learning process. So, my question here is, should I just buy the cheapest ammo I can find so I can get out there and shoot? Is there anything I should just stay away from? And yes, I am going to take a hard look at maybe getting into reloading.

Thanks
    Congratulations! Enjoy!

.38/.357 ammo prices are, indeed, daunting. Locally, .38 Special was harder to find than .357, before everything dried-up.

.22 LR ammo exists, on sellers’/suppliers’ shelves, so, I am glad I already owned an S&W Model 17-4, long before this ammo-panic-demic started.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Have you checked with your local gun store dealers?

I'm not brand new to revolvers but they've been gathering dust in my safe for some time. Recently decided it was time to start practicing with them and saw the crazy prices online. I've got a post in the general discussion forum with some stupid crazy prices for 38.

However when I went to my local gun store they had good quality, practice ammo for 25 to $30 per box of 50.

Regardless of what you do for the balance of the panic — assuming it subsides— i strongly recommend getting reloading sorted out as a priority. Primers don’t go bad.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Have you checked with your local gun store dealers?

I'm not brand new to revolvers but they've been gathering dust in my safe for some time. Recently decided it was time to start practicing with them and saw the crazy prices online. I've got a post in the general discussion forum with some stupid crazy prices for 38.

However when I went to my local gun store they had good quality, practice ammo for 25 to $30 per box of 50.
    I haven't but it sounds like that might be worthwhile. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Regardless of what you do for the balance of the panic — assuming it subsides— i strongly recommend getting reloading sorted out as a priority. Primers don’t go bad.
    Thanks. Doing some research now. And also catching up to where everybody who currently reloads has been for some time now. Pretty much everything is backordered.

Last month, I very nearly bought a pre-owned 10mm GP100, that was in a display case at a local dealer, because I could get all of the 10mm ammo I wanted, but nobody had any .357 Mag or .38 Special. Of course, by now, somebody else has surely thought the same thing, so I doubt that it is still available.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    I freely admit that this was, essentially, a slow motion impulse buy.

User Tag List