Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arcteryx lands big endorsement

My boots are made by dudes (& possibly a lady) who live and work within 10 miles of where I live and work. Mostly within 5 miles.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Arcteryx lands big endorsement

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I mean, they're still a Canadian company. They're just not Canadian owned, but then again, they haven't been since like 2001, when they were bought out by the Salomon Group (French), which itself was owned by Adidas (German). Amer Sports (Finnish) bought the Salomon Group from Adidas in 2005, and itself was then bought by Anta (Chinese) in 2018.

Yay globalization.

But ultimately, isn't it all about "mission drives the gear train"? Not like Arc'teryx has much by way of competition if you're looking for the very best in technical outdoor wear, even if they have been on a steady decline as some purists argue since the Salomon buy-out, particularly if you're trying to get tactical shit as a civilian. Mammut, Westcomb, etc. don't have nothing in MultiCam, after all, Patagonia's stuff is generally pretty slim pickings if you're not issued it, and the likes of Beyond, Outdoor Research, Wild Things, Otte, etc. don't seem to quite reach the level that Arc'teryx offers.
    It makes me sad but I agree. I’ve had Arc’teryx stuff for years and everything else I’ve tried hasn’t come close. I’m doing cold weather training in about two weeks that includes skiing and snowmobiling in sub-zero temps and even though we’re getting issued a lot of stuff for it, I’ve spent hundreds on Arc’teryx gear to prep. Probably would be more if I could find the remaining things in stock. I’ve tried a few OR things where dead bird was leaving a gap and have been immediately disappointed in fit if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I would go with Lowa, German brand, subsidiary of Tecnica Group, which is Italian. They like to claim their boots are all made in Europe, and the TF line is their tactical stuff that seems to have a good following.
    I wore Lowa Zephyrs for a few years about a decade ago and was very happy with them for a temperate GTX boot. I’ve had a newer pair for the past few years but haven’t had much occasion to wear them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    My boots are made by dudes (& possibly a lady) who live and work within 10 miles of where I live and work. Mostly within 5 miles.
    Hard to tell sometimes, I admit:

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Hard to tell sometimes, I admit:

As a point of trivia, “Pat” was born and raised inside of 5 miles from where I live, too.

White’s boots ‘n Pat: so much win.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Put me in the disappointed to learn this camp. Their LEAF Knee Caps are my favorite knee pads and I was issued a jacket that is nothing short of amazing.

That said my go to of late have been KUIU and Orvis. Warm, well made and from what I can tell American owned companies.

As for Lowa, I finally tried some a couple years ago. The toe box is too tight for me.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    That said my go to of late have been KUIU and Orvis. Warm, well made and from what I can tell American owned companies.
    Any feedback you can provide on KUIU sizing?

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    Kuiu is pretty close to Arcteryx in sizing and cut.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    I have to go two sizes up on the shirts if I want to conceal a weapon - or anything. Lol! I’m normally an XL but an XXL works barely. To hide an IWB I need XXXL. I haven’t tried their jackets or pants.

Arcteryx has been on downward spiral (and made overseas) for a very long time. Their customer service has dropped substantially as well, but I suppose that's to be expected with acquisition and growth. But at the cost, it's not worth it to me and while sure, their fit and designs are nice they certainly haven't performed any better than Mountain Hardwear, Patagonia, and any other of the mainstream outdoor brands.

All of the outdoor companies used to offer really bulletproof warranties and CS, but that was when they were small and had more control over their production. If I was buying outerwear, etc. depending on the activity, there are a tons of other brands I'd consider such as:
    • Filson
    • Simms
    • Canada Goose
    • Prometheus Design Werx
    • Varusteleka
    • Sitka

…along with many other (even smaller) manufacturers than can make excellent, well-built products.

I also find I'm more interested in using natural materials when it makes sense. Transitioning to wool base layers and even overshirts has worked out well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Merrel is owned by an American investment group. Oboz is owned by a Kiwi group. There's two options, but they're all still made in Asia. Not sure about Merrel, but Oboz are made in Vietnam.

I think the only shoes made here in the USA are traditional welted sole footwear. Danner's boot line is split between Asia and the US, depending on whether it's a modern glued sole or a traditional welted construction. Ditto Allen Edmonds, the penultimate American classic and official shoe of the US President.....not even Allen Edmonds makes their glued sole options in the US, those are manufactured in the Dominican Republic.....which, hey, they're at least our neighbor and there's nothing more traditionally American of you than to embrace the Monroe Doctrine

Even Volvo is owned by a Chinese holding group these days, which is a big scandal over in Sweden. They're still made in Sweden just like before, but the Swedes learned the hard way just like everyone else about Chinese holding firm practices and now that they realize the diamond they were sold by the Chinese turned out to be a polished turd, they're trying to get out from under the deal.
    New Balance makes a bit of their stuff in the US.
    #RESIST

User Tag List