Thread: TriggerTech Trigger too Trick

TriggerTech Trigger too Trick

Setting up my two 9mm CMMG SBR, one for HD and one for competition, I elected to go with TriggerTech for the "competition" gun. I wanted a trigger that closely matched the feel of my 3 lb. 9mm 1911 trigger. The TT trigger succeeded in this regard, but I learned several things along the way.
    1. While I have well over 100K rounds through my 1911 in both practice and steel challenge competition, my PCC competition will be casual with limited practice.
    2. I don't have the same trigger feedback with the rifle and the TT trigger reset is, to say the least, subtle. Couple that with winter practice with gloves and any advantage of the ultra-short reset vanishes. I was running the TT at about 2.5 lbs. as going any lower would tend to produce doubles. The reset feel doesn't appear to change much with TPW.
    3. Having two near identical rifles (the HD SBR is suppressed) I wanted my training to cross over into the HD application. Having two dramatically different triggers obviously defeats that goal.
    4. Getting down to 0.15s splits isn't a goal of mine. Haven't timed my splits with a mil trigger, but I can have just as much fun in competition and be effective in a home defense situation with a 5 lb. trigger.
    5. I installed an ALG ACT trigger in a pistol lower (for interstate travel) and really like the feel of that trigger. Very smooth take-up and there is little doubt about reset.
    6. So: I'm going to sell the TT trigger, move my CMMG trigger in my HD gun to the competition gun and install either a LaRue or ALG trigger in the HD gun. The CMMG trigger is a good compromise: 3lbs, but with a very positive reset that I can feel even with gloves.

My conclusion: The TT trigger could be excellent for a high-level competitor who needs those fast doubles and puts in the practice time with the trigger, but its not for me. I do have one in my wife's PCC, but her competition 10/22 has a 1.5 lb. Kidd trigger so the TriggerTech became a natural choice.

Based on a 2-post thread from some months back concerning TriggerTech I suspect there isn't much interest in this forum, but I though I would post my thoughts in the event someone does a search.

Did you have any malfunctions with the TT trigger? It's something I've been interested in getting as a range/competition trigger, possibly as a timney replacement.

On a side note, I find it hard to not love the Larue MBT 2s triggers I have accumulated. They have a very nice break with relatively low pull weight in a trigger I trust for self defense. The only downside is a slightly longer reset than others, but this could be a positive for a more serious use oriented carbine to avoid doubles and uncontrolled shots.

I have several friends that have their MPX specific triggers and love them for competition use. My second MPX is having one installed now.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

At the recommendation of Ryan Cleckner I installed a single stage in my REM 700. Single Stage, 2 lbs, amazing.

I have an AR trigger somewhere that currently is a “back up” on the shelf.

Like GJM, I have heard good things about the MPX trigger. I’ll install one if my Timney (non MPX specific) gives up.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Did you have any malfunctions with the TT trigger? It's something I've been interested in getting as a range/competition trigger, possibly as a timney replacement.

On a side note, I find it hard to not love the Larue MBT 2s triggers I have accumulated. They have a very nice break with relatively low pull weight in a trigger I trust for self defense. The only downside is a slightly longer reset than others, but this could be a positive for a more serious use oriented carbine to avoid doubles and uncontrolled shots.
    I had a few doubles when I had the TPW dialed down sub-2 seconds; I believe tension screw unwound a bit further. Above 2 lbs. I didn't have any problems. I think the lowest fixed weight TT sells is 3 lbs. which, in reality, would have been fine for me. This is their AR configuration in a PCC with an AR lower; might be that even with the gentle recoil of the CMMG RDB setup the bolt velocity proved to be a bit much at those low TPWs?

User Tag List