Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Snowflake Guns of P-F

Site Supporter
    My Colt Lightweight Government 45 was a snowflake gun if that's what we're calling carry guns that actually get shot regularly. But I recently bought a steel-framed Colt XSE in the same configuration to serve as its training counterpart so I guess the Lwt Gvt has lost its snowflake status.

I have to confess I'm still a little fuzzy on the definition. To me, having a carry gun that gets shot a lot is just an indication of lack of a training analog.

Is this snowflake guns we only shoot from time-to-time, but are pretty unusual (eg. toggle-action Erma. .22lr), or guns we shoot all the time that aren’t Glocks (eg. ‘56 Ruger flatgate single-six)?

I mean, the fact that an LCR goes to the range with me every time I’m out is pretty unusual, but the idea of an LCR .38 is boring AF.

Help me out here, I’d like to contribute.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Beretta 92 Compact L (probably not very snowflake-ey)
    Beretta 92 Compact M (maybe a bit more so)...

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I have to confess I'm still a little fuzzy on the definition.
    Ditto. As far as I can tell, a Glock 19 is a snowflake gun according to this thread.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I believe the snowflake concept originally referred to guns that were uncommon (aka not glock or m&p generally) and often for little reason other than to be special.

Case in point -

I'm currently rocking a 92dxr with ltt rdo slide....not many dao fans, especially rocking the dot slide...and i could just as easily be served by a glock but I just dig it. Hence, special snowflake.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Is this snowflake guns we only shoot from time-to-time, but are pretty unusual (eg. toggle-action Erma. .22lr), or guns we shoot all the time that aren’t Glocks (eg. ‘56 Ruger flatgate single-six)?

I mean, the fact that an LCR goes to the range with me every time I’m out is pretty unusual, but the idea of an LCR .38 is boring AF.

Help me out here, I’d like to contribute.
    If you’re having a conversation with other shooters and the subject turns to what your carry gun is and you tell them and they respond with “A *what*?”, it’s a snowflake. Basically anything unusual. A Beretta 92D qualifies because few people other than denizens of this forum a) know of them and b) carry them, as an example.

J frames and LCRs qualify since most of those here who carry them also train/practice with them. I think I’ve seen one other person on the range with a J frame in the last five years or so, so they’re in the category too. Extra points for other-than-.38 Special chambering.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    If you’re having a conversation with other shooters and the subject turns to what your carry gun is and you tell them and they respond with “A *what*?”, it’s a snowflake. Basically anything unusual. A Beretta 92D qualifies because few people other than denizens of this forum a) know of them and b) carry them, as an example.
    FWIW, since I tend to throw the term around a lot here, or used to...

I’d disagree on your definition. It’s not a snowflake gun until the owner/carrier starts waxing poetic about all the because:reasons he just plain “can’t” go with the ubiquitous solution (extra points if the because:reasons have anything to do with appendix carry).

A guy that carries a pearl-handled SAA isn’t a snowflake if he knows he’s being weird (although he *may* be a hipster, irony dependent). He’s a snowflake when he tells you all the reasons he chose that over a Glock for his “gun fighting”.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I am really not into esoteric stuff. My tastes tend to run towards the older known reliable platforms.

I suppose my 4563 could be considered a Snowflake Gun for the sake of this thread.

You would think I’d be a big snowflake guy, but the closest I get is a P7M8– which I not only carried for a while, but took a class with.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    FWIW, since I tend to throw the term around a lot here, or used to...

I’d disagree on your definition. It’s not a snowflake gun until the owner/carrier starts waxing poetic about all the because:reasons he just plain “can’t” go with the ubiquitous solution (extra points if the because:reasons have anything to do with appendix carry).

A guy that carries a pearl-handled SAA isn’t a snowflake if he knows he’s being weird (although he *may* be a hipster, irony dependent). He’s a snowflake when he tells you all the reasons he chose that over a Glock for his “gun fighting”.
    You know, that's great. I was about to respond to @revchuck38 about how there's no way a Beretta 92 is a snowflake gun, then I read your comment.

Really doubles down on the ZVI Kevin (marketed here as the Micro Desert Eagle) being a snowflake gun. I've got all these reasons that its the best micro-380 on the market instead of the ubiquitous Ruger LCP, S&W Bodyguard, or Kahr CW380.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List