Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Snowflake Guns of P-F

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Best I can do:

Also, there are plenty of good reasons why this might be more appropriate than a Glock. For instance (and with apologies to George S Patton) you might work in an NPE but low key need to shoot your way out of a New Orleans whorehouse after hours.

How are you going to do that with a Glock? Without class. That's how.
    I have wanted to at least try one of these since seeing a photo of Dick Casull's black powder prototype (built when he was in high school) sometime in the 1970s. I had to be about 10. Tell me, is it worth the $200-250?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I have wanted to at least try one of these since seeing a photo of Dick Casull's black powder prototype (built when he was in high school) sometime in the 1970s. I had to be about 10. Tell me, is it worth the $200-250?
    I carried one pretty regularly a long ways back. One finger grip, bad sights, excessively short barrel leading to keyholing, minute of man even at short range, and literally poke the rounds with a stick to eject empties. All that said better than throwing rocks though maybe not by much. Still, given an NPE workplace and living in a rough side of town it served a purpose and nostalgia wise wouldn't mind having another (though I'm not rushing to get another either)

I lusted for them until I tried out a .22lr version. I just couldn't hold it and make it shoot.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    FWIW, since I tend to throw the term around a lot here, or used to...

I’d disagree on your definition. It’s not a snowflake gun until the owner/carrier starts waxing poetic about all the because:reasons he just plain “can’t” go with the ubiquitous solution (extra points if the because:reasons have anything to do with appendix carry).
    I carry a M9A3G. It has a spurless hammer so I can ride it with my thumb when holstering AIWB.

Am I in? Did I win?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Really doubles down on the ZVI Kevin (marketed here as the Micro Desert Eagle) being a snowflake gun. I've got all these reasons that its the best micro-380 on the market instead of the ubiquitous Ruger LCP, S&W Bodyguard, or Kahr CW380.
    Let's hear them, snowflake.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

Extra snowflake points.......
    Can I play too?

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Let's hear them, snowflake.
    In descending order of snowflakeness:

It has two recoil springs like the Walther P5. Not a single dual RSA, but rather two small springs that fit inside the slide rails. This allows the gun to have longer springs for a given barrel length compared to under-barrel RSAs. I think this greatly improves reliability; lower spring rate, longer lasting springs, just less finicky overall.

It's gas delayed blowback. I'm going to danger that it's not a very efficient gas delayed blowback, but it's something to help.

It's finished from the factory in nickel-teflon.

The trigger is better than most pocket pistols, as long as you can shoot a DAO to begin with.

It's DAO, which I think is superior for a pocket pistol than a crisp, light trigger for all the usual reasons we discuss on here.

It's actually very ergonomic. It's ergonomic because they allowed the gun to be built small without changing proportions of the interfaces; so, it looks funky, but works well. The grip is actually very good for a pocket pistol, and the trigger guard looks goofy-large but that's just because it is a normal-sized trigger guard on a micro-compact.....which means you don't get bitten from the trigger guard under recoil unlike many other pocket pistols I've shot which have very small trigger guards for no reason other than aesthetics.

About the only big downfall that I can see for it are the typical pocket-pistol sights, which are quite normal compared to other pistols from when it was designed and manufactured. If they were to re-release it, it'd behoove them to release it with fiber optics or tritiums, preferably dovetailed or otherwise easily replaceable.

...but there's more. Standby for full snowflake frostiness:

Last but not least......my example wears African Bubinga wood grips made by the Dennis Marschal in Hungary.

Full-snowflake engaged.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Does this qualify?

I really need to handle one of these some day.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    There's actually a really simple algorithm:

Is it a Glock in 9mm? Not hipster.

Is it not a Glock or not 9mm? Hipster.

I, of course, say this as a man who owns zero Glocks.
    What if it’s a Glock in other than 9mm? Semi hipster?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    ...but then I talked to a friend from my gun club, not a newb by any means, and discovered he knew nothing this model's existence.....I am too old to understand it is indeed a snowflake now.

FM BHP Detective, fitted with the C&S SFS system, Warren Tactical sights. In the 20+ years I have owned it I don't think it has ever malfunctioned, or at least I cannot remember it happening. Internally it has the firing pin block so late Gen II or a Gen III design if it were FN made. Once BHP solutions started selling recoil spring kits a few years back I started to shoot it more (it is a double spring system). Back around Halloween last year I switched up to all BHP all the time for a while, and this is by far the most pleasant one to carry. I seem to shoot it better in standards drills than the full size guns too.

Attachment 67134
    You win.
    Ken

I’ve had one for decades. The best thing I can say about it is that it fits nicely in your watch pocket, and there are times that’s a big advantage. It’s better than throwing your beer.
    Ken

User Tag List