Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Snowflake Guns of P-F

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    What if it’s a Glock in other than 9mm? Semi hipster?
    I mean, that post was a semi-self-deprecating joke, but sure, I can go along with that assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    In descending order of snowflakeness:

It has two recoil springs like the Walther P5. Not a single dual RSA, but rather two small springs that fit inside the slide rails. This allows the gun to have longer springs for a given barrel length compared to under-barrel RSAs. I think this greatly improves reliability; lower spring rate, longer lasting springs, just less finicky overall.

It's gas delayed blowback. I'm going to danger that it's not a very efficient gas delayed blowback, but it's something to help.

It's finished from the factory in nickel-teflon.

The trigger is better than most pocket pistols, as long as you can shoot a DAO to begin with.

It's DAO, which I think is superior for a pocket pistol than a crisp, light trigger for all the usual reasons we discuss on here.

It's actually very ergonomic. It's ergonomic because they allowed the gun to be built small without changing proportions of the interfaces; so, it looks funky, but works well. The grip is actually very good for a pocket pistol, and the trigger guard looks goofy-large but that's just because it is a normal-sized trigger guard on a micro-compact.....which means you don't get bitten from the trigger guard under recoil unlike many other pocket pistols I've shot which have very small trigger guards for no reason other than aesthetics.

About the only big downfall that I can see for it are the typical pocket-pistol sights, which are quite normal compared to other pistols from when it was designed and manufactured. If they were to re-release it, it'd behoove them to release it with fiber optics or tritiums, preferably dovetailed or otherwise easily replaceable.

...but there's more. Standby for full snowflake frostiness:

Last but not least......my example wears African Bubinga wood grips made by the Dennis Marschal in Hungary.

Full-snowflake engaged.
    We should have stock, custom, and antique divisions. If we do, I think you've got stock all locked up. It's the Hungarian grips that really put you over the top.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I have wanted to at least try one of these since seeing a photo of Dick Casull's black powder prototype (built when he was in high school) sometime in the 1970s. I had to be about 10. Tell me, is it worth the $200-250?
    So long as you're buying for fun rather than pragmatism then it's worth it. The LR version is underwhelming by any definition but the magnum is like the Noisy Cricket from Men in Black.

The magnum is, to me, a portable repeating flash bang that happens to poke .22 holes as a secondary effect. It's fun to shoot indoor and kicks, even with the one finger grip, about like a mild .38 in a 4" K-frame. Lots of flash and blast, not so much recoil. The front sight is more of a suggestion than a hard and fast rule, so you'll need to learn the dope of anything you actually plan on shooting through it. But you can still make head shots at slightly more than contact distance. At least, from recollection. I haven't shot it in several years.

Still, it's got some miles on it and the nostalgia was enough for me to snag one of these before they disappeared:

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    We should have stock, custom, and antique divisions. If we do, I think you've got stock all locked up. It's the Hungarian grips that really put you over the top.
    I appreciate the nomination.

But, no kidding, it's an awesome pocket 380. If I recall correctly, the only smaller 380s are the lackluster Seecamp and NAA Guardian, while this gun is more pleasurable to shoot than my SIG P232.

If Judge Dredd carried a BUG, this is what it would look like.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    So long as you're buying for fun rather than pragmatism then it's worth it.
    I always thought it'd be neat to get the 22 Short version. I figure if I'm buying a novelty, I might as well go full-on novelty. I've still got 60 rounds of 22 Short on hand, which is likely a life-time supply for such a piece.

I haven't gotten around to buying something so frivolous. I'm still working on other frivolous purchases, like 1911s. *steps into flame suit, slowly zips up*
    Last edited by TGS; 02-06-2021 at 02:15 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I always thought it'd be neat to get the 22 Short version. I figure if I'm buying a novelty, I might as well go full-on novelty. I've still got 60 rounds of 22 Short on hand, which is likely a life-time supply for such a piece.

I haven't gotten around to buying something so frivolous. I'm still working on other frivolous purchases, like 1911s. *steps into flame suit, slowly zips up*
    You got options.

Gaudy 19th century poker player: https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-22s-ge/

I dunno, I'm getting a Mark Twain in Carson City vibe: https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-22s-ch/

Site Supporter
    I had the 22S and the 22LR/magnum convertible with 1 5/8" barrel. I mentioned before that I shot the old TX CHL blue bottle protocol with the guns (posted somewhere here) and shot a 230 out of 250 with the 22LR and only a 130 ish with the 22S. It's hard to shoot but I really didn't practice with it. That being said, I wish I kept it - sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    ...but then I talked to a friend from my gun club, not a newb by any means, and discovered he knew nothing this model's existence.....I am too old to understand it is indeed a snowflake now.

FM BHP Detective, fitted with the C&S SFS system, Warren Tactical sights. In the 20+ years I have owned it I don't think it has ever malfunctioned, or at least I cannot remember it happening. Internally it has the firing pin block so late Gen II or a Gen III design if it were FN made. Once BHP solutions started selling recoil spring kits a few years back I started to shoot it more (it is a double spring system). Back around Halloween last year I switched up to all BHP all the time for a while, and this is by far the most pleasant one to carry. I seem to shoot it better in standards drills than the full size guns too.

Attachment 67134
    I need everyone here to quit posting the awesome customized Hi Power content. I just started with the 9mm 1911 thing and don’t need something else semi-practical to lust after, and pieces like this and Tokarev’s are just too damn cool and attractive.

Three or five rounds isn’t enough to justify another platform... three or five rounds isn’t enough to justify another platform...

I find the FEG Tokagypt to be dead sexy, but can never seem to find one at a price I can pay.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  83.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

Extra snowflake points.......

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Can I play too?

I don’t remember the last time I carried it. 4516-1. Maybe I will, so it’s actually a snowflake carry gun instead of a paean to a mis-spent youth watching Miami Vice.

That’s a beautiful 4506, 5906/4006, and nice leather. That PP, tho.
    Last edited by Duelist; 02-06-2021 at 07:44 PM.

I'm still working on other frivolous purchases, like 1911s. *steps into flame suit, slowly zips up*
    Nah, I think you're ready for prime-time 1911 ownership.

Pretty sure the only real requirement for owning a 1911 is owning some obscure pocket pistol that you're going to carry way more often than said 1911.

Can be any of the following: $850 Baby Browning Clone (https://www.precisionsmallarms.com/S...TINUATION.html), Seecamp (bonus points if it's an older one only reliable with now impossible to buy .32 Silvertips), NAA Guardian in .25NAA or .32NAA, Kel-Tec P32 "MKI" with a "fluff and buff", Colt Mustang (but only a Colt not a Sig, Springfield, or Kimber clone), Vest Pocket .25 (bonus for an FN version), Walther TPH In .22 or .25, Beretta Jetfire, Bobcat, or Tomcat, Rohrbaugh R9 (less points for the Remington RM380), Ruger LCP with an obscure caliber conversion (like .32NAA), or a "Micro Desert Eagle".

In my case when I got my very first 1911 I had a 1907 FN Vest Pocket Model. Well, my dad did, but I had "borrowed" it for an extended period of time. Nickel plating, one magazine, terrible trigger. It got carried a lot by both me and my dad.

I actually gave it to my aunt after my dad passed. Because she wanted something small to carry. I gave her a few boxes of .25 I had on hand. She seems to like it, she's 4'10" and 110 pounds soaking wet, so it fits in her hands a lot better than mine or my dad's. She shoots it better than I ever did. Partly because she practices more and partly because I informed her it was a pretty shitty caliber and to put the bullets into the ocular window. So all she does is practice drawing and shooting 2" circles at between 3 and 15 yards. Her "Bill Drill" is probably best thought of as a "Bill Clinton Drill"...She draws and puts a round in each eye socket and one into the groin.

User Tag List