Thread: Personal Defense Shotshell Force X2 ???

Personal Defense Shotshell Force X2 ???

Just saw an advertisement for a (new?) Federal shotgun load that claims:

"Its nine copper-plated 00 FX2 buckshot pellets are specially engineered to split into two equal-size pieces on impact. This creates up to 18 wound channels, improves the transfer of energy from the payload to the target, and minimizes the potential for over-penetration, reducing the risk to bystanders."

I've never heard of this stuff, so I'm assuming it's a new product. Personally, I'm confident with 00 or #1 buck Flitecontrol, so I have no intention of switching shotgun ammo. But I'm also curious if anyone knows about this load or its efficacy (conceptually or otherwise).

https://www.federalpremium.com/shots...D12FX2+00.html
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    Just saw an advertisement for a (new?) Federal shotgun load that claims:

"Its nine copper-plated 00 FX2 buckshot pellets are specially engineered to split into two equal-size pieces on impact. This creates up to 18 wound channels, improves the transfer of energy from the payload to the target, and minimizes the potential for over-penetration, reducing the risk to bystanders."

I've never heard of this stuff, so I'm assuming it's a new product. Personally, I'm confident with 00 or #1 buck Flitecontrol, so I have no intention of switching shotgun ammo. But I'm also curious if anyone knows about this load or its efficacy (conceptually or otherwise).

https://www.federalpremium.com/shots...D12FX2+00.html
    No personal experience with this new ammo, but I'd take a SWAG at it penetrating less... quite possibly far under the 12" most folks here would prefer.

I know companies are in the business of selling ammo, not performance, but I'd really prefer to see them focus efforts on good ammo, and not crap like this, particularly in an ammo drought. Dropping the #1 buck LE load and pushing stuff like this doesn't do anyone any favors, IMHO.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...tting-buckshot

"Tests using 10-percent ballistic gel were also conducted, with penetration depth of the shells varying from 5¼ to 14½ inches, with an average of 9½ inches. The average depth when pellets start segmenting is 4.5 inches after impact."

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I know companies are in the business of selling ammo, not performance, but I'd really prefer to see them focus efforts on good ammo, and not crap like this, particularly in an ammo drought. Dropping the #1 buck LE load and pushing stuff like this doesn't do anyone any favors, IMHO.
    I guess maybe this would reduce over penetration risks?
    Does regular 00 buckshot pose a risk of pass through and injury to others?
    I agree the #1 flite control was the holy grail. I was never able to find any for sale in Canada and would have paid premium for a case if I ever had found it.
    It’s sad it’s gone.

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    I guess maybe this would reduce over penetration risks?
    Does regular 00 buckshot pose a risk of pass through and injury to others?
    I agree the #1 flite control was the holy grail. I was never able to find any for sale in Canada and would have paid premium for a case if I ever had found it.
    It’s sad it’s gone.
    Life is full of trade offs, yes, it probably reduces risk of pass through. Possible 4.5" of penetration isn't something I'd trade off for with a 00 buck load. Regular 00 probably does have some possible over penetration risk, but I doubt it's any worse than most modern service caliber JHP loads (and likely a lot less). 00 buck pellets are not that massive to begin with, so they are probably going to penetrate less than a 124gr 9mm JHP anyway, and those tend to stay in a body a lot of the time. Better to just keep all the pellets on target to start with, and know that they will penetrate deep enough to do the work, IMHO.

Agreed
    I feel fine with the Remington 8 pellet reduced recoil 00 buckshot I keep handy.
    Only thing I’d swap to would be flite control if I could ever find some locally that was reduced recoil.

The only thing it has going for it is that right now, it's available.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List