Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leveraging the ADDIE Model of ISD to Firearms Training

Leveraging the ADDIE Model of ISD to Firearms Training

I’ve used the concepts of Instructional Systems Design (ISD) throughout my professional career in the training industry. Being relatively new to firearms, I thought it might be of interest to apply it to this community.

This thread summarizes the ADDIE model (Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation and Evaluation) of ISD to firearms training. After reading it, you should have a basic understanding of the ADDIE process, and how to apply it’s concepts.

Why would we want to use an ISD approach like “ADDIE” to firearms training?

Chris Baker @LGChris of www.LuckyGunner.com talks about why Firearms training fails in his 2017 article, “Five Reasons Firearms Training Sucks”. Ok, so that’s not the exact title Chris uses, but let me paraphrase one of those five reasons:

Perceived value of the Time/Money for training is too low. People don’t feel like they are getting their worth out of the time and money they spend.

That is a great point – everyone is looking for value for their time and dollar these days, now more than ever. But some firearms training falls short. Can we do anything about it? I believe applying some ISD might help. So let’s talk a little about ADDIE, and what it is.

ADDIE has been in common use in aerospace since it was developed in the mid-80s.

ADDIE consists of five steps:

Analysis
    Design
    Development
    Implementation
    Evaluation

Depending on the scope of a training program, an ADDIE implementation of an ISD project can be highly complex, and involve many months or years.

In the next post, I’ll provide a short summary of each step in the process, and a way you can apply it. My hope is that by doing so, you’ll recognize areas in which you can improve your training course, and your students will benefit as a result.

OMG!! I AM TIRED OF READING ALREADY!! IS THERE A SHORT VERSION!?

YOU BET! SKIP TO THE “THREE QUESTIONS” BELOW. ASK YOURSELF THESE QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR TRAINING, AND SEE IF YOU CAN MAKE IT BETTER!! THAT’S IT!!

“Three Questions” to ask yourself about each Step in ADDIE:

Analysis Questions

1. What do you know about your training audience, and what are their expectations?

2. How are they achieving their desired outcome now?

3. How do you plan to add value with your training, to improve that outcome?

Design Questions

1. Have you defined, specifically, what it is you want to achieve with the training?

2. Can you summarize, in writing, the overall desired end knowledge or performance of the student (Terminal Performance Standards)?

3. Can you list all the supporting elements (Learning Objectives) of your planned training? Do they support the TPS’s?

Development Questions

1. Does your training course design group LO’s into learning modules of suitable length, neither too long nor too short, with appropriate breaks, to facilitate learning?

2. Have you piloted the training material using a SME, and did you incorporate their feedback into the design of the training?

3. Does each learning module reflect and support one or more specific Learning Objectives, and do all your LO s, when complete, cover the entirety of your intended TPS?

Implementation Questions

1. Did you include a means of evaluation for students to test themselves as they go, to support knowledge retention and transfer?

2. Do you offer a way to intrinsically (verbal reinforcement) or extrinsically (tokens) reward your students?

3. Does your training offer a way for the students to provide feedback at the end of the class, to make your training better?

Evaluation Questions

1. Has the student been afforded the opportunity to provide feedback to you, the instructor as you go?

2. Do you provide an opportunity for “end of course” evaluation, so that students can provide feedback to you on their learning experience you can incorporate into future training?

3. Did you meet the TPS and all of the LO’s? What did your students say was missed?
    Last edited by RJ; 01-22-2021 at 03:09 PM.

Ready to get into it? Let’s begin.

Analysis
    Design
    Development
    Implementation
    Evaluation

The first step of the ADDIE process is Analysis.

Name:  graphic_ana.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  44.7 KB

In large ISD projects, this is usually done by conducting a formal Training Needs Analysis (TNA). A full-blown TNA essentially documents the intended audience, what training exists now, how effective it is, and explores options to provide that training, or to provide it in a new or better way.

Based on personal experience in developing large scale ($10-$100M+) training efforts, most that fail big, fail on the Analysis step, and to a slightly lesser degree, the step that follows, Design.

Taking the time to understand, really understand, what you are trying to accomplish, at the beginning, is a much less costly route than fixing systemic issues later on. Every time you begin a training effort you should spend some time understanding your training audience, and what they are trying to accomplish.

Analysis
    Design
    Development
    Implementation
    Evaluation

In the Design step of ADDIE, we’ll start to address how to provide the needed training.

Name:  graphic_des.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  81.9 KB

Firearms Training includes two key learning domains; Cognitive (knowledge the student must master) and Psycomotor (the tasks or performance).

Design starts by defining what are called “Terminal Performance Standards (TPS).

TPS’s are the top level “standards” which must be known (cognitive: knowledge) or achieved (psycomotor: skills) by the student to meet their end goal. TPS are in turn broken down into “Learning Objectives.”

A learning objective is a specific statement of what the learner has to know (again, cognitive, the student now knows something) or be able to do (again, psycomotor; student can do something). George T. Doran, in his seminal 1981 paper on SMART goals, suggested that they should be specific, measurable, agreed-upon, realistic and time-bound. This is a great way to think about Learning Objectives for your students.

Lets demonstrate the concepts of TPS’s and LO’s, by using them in an example.

Say we are developing a new class called Basic Firearms Training (BFT), and so let’s include a Training Performance Standard (TPS) for Marksmanship:

BFT-TPS-001 After successfully completing BFT, an able-body student, with no prior handgun training, shall be able, using safe gun handling practices, to place 5 of 5 rounds within an 8” circle, at 7 yards using a modern service pistol, with no time constraint, under ideal environment and lighting conditions.

Would you say that’s a reasonable? Well, the specific details can be argued, but it is specific, measurable and unambiguous.

To support this TPS, let’s derive a couple Learning Objectives, say achieving a proper grip, and chambering a round:

LO-002 - “Given an open range with safe backdrop, and an unloaded pistol, the student will be able to demonstrate the proper two-handed grip for a semi-automatic pistol.”

LO-001 - “Given an open range with safe backdrop, an unloaded semi-automatic pistol and a magazine loaded with one round , the student will be able to properly use the overhand technique to “sling-shot” the slide to chamber a round.”

By writing down the TPS’s, and enumerating them through LO’s, we can define what we are trying to achieve in a structured, orderly way.

After doing this, by the end of the Design step, you should have a good overview of your training goals (TPS’s) and an initial list of how you want to accomplish them (LO’s).

Analysis
    Design
    Development
    Implementation
    Evaluation

Next comes the development step, where LOs are turned into lessons, content is created and the course assembled into learning modules.

Name:  graphic_dev.jpeg
Views: 355
Size:  37.4 KB

Classically, learning is divided into 1 hour long units. This has been due to the long-standing use of the “Carnegie Unit.” or “student hour” of higher education. Learning modules are typically targeted to be between 45 and 60 minutes, and designed to support specific Learning Objectives. Too short, and students may feel overwhelmed to comprehend multiple successive inputs; too long, and class engagement level may drift downward, or attention may wane.

One good way to write an effective lesson is to tie it to one or more objectives – the Learning Objectives, in fact.

Broadly, a lesson will start with a statement like this: “In this lesson, the student will be able to [ what the student must do or know ], given [ conditions ], to the level of [ define whatever your criteria is – demonstrate knowledge, or perform a skill to a standard ]

Then you can go on to develop suitable courseware material to support all lesson objectives, tieing them into a sensible progression. This should also include any graphics or photos you plan to provide with the training. A good concise graphic can be extremely useful to communicate complex ideas.

Once the course has been developed, it is useful to conduct a pilot, with Subject Matter Experts, who can represent the target student population. Can your course actually be presented in the way you envisioned it? This phase can provide valuable feedback to the course designer, which can be reflected in updated learning material.

Analysis
    Design
    Development
    Implementation
    Evaluation

Implementation is your opportunity to present your course to your students.

Name:  graphic_imp.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  37.7 KB

As you implement your courseware, periodically review it to ensure it continues to support the LO’s, and ultimately, the TPS’s you’ve defined. Refine these as needed.

As you present the course, use iterative evaluation, either student-led, or instructor-led, so provide skill/knowledge reinforcement and assist in retention. Include specific skill drills for reinforcement, that support the LO’s.

Consider using Rewards in your training. Rewards can be particularly effective, and can be intrinsic (verbal: Good job!) or extrinsic (e.g. certificates of completion, or even small physical tokens, which are only provided after completion of a task or drill, and only if to a defined standard).
    If they are associated with fair, consistent and meaningful training standards, tokens can be a powerful motivational training aide both during and after the completion of training, as a public “badge” of success to others.

Analysis
    Design
    Development
    Implementation
    Evaluation

Evaluation of the training design takes place in all parts of the process.

Name:  graphic_eva.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  28.2 KB

Evaluation may be formative (during Analysis, Design, and Development) or summative (end stage).

Formative evaluation is present in each step of the ADDIE process. Summative evaluation consists of tests designed for domain specific criterion-related referenced items and providing opportunities for feedback from the users.

Kirkpatrick offers a useful guide to evaluation. His four levels of evaluation model are:

Reaction - The degree to which participants find the training favorable, engaging and relevant to their jobs
    Learning - The degree to which participants acquire the intended knowledge, skills, attitude, confidence and commitment based on their participation in the training
    Behavior - The degree to which participants apply what they learned during training when they are back on the job
    Results - The degree to which targeted outcomes occur as a result of the training and the support and accountability package

You can leverage these guidelines by applying Kirkpatrick’s model to how you evaluate your training, both during the course development and presentation (lesson reviews, quizzes), informal drills or tests (with recorded evaluation) and exams (tests with pass/fail criteria on the entirety of the course.)

Wrap up

I’ve been associated with the DoD training industry for 31 years. In that time, I’ve seen some great successes, but also some spectacular failures as well, wasting millions of dollars. Applying a process like ADDIE has ALWAYS resulted in better, more efficient development and successful operational performance of our students.

ADDIE consists of five steps:

Analysis – Understand your audience, and what they are trying to achieve
    Design – Systematically document your requirements into TPS’s, broken out into LO’s
    Development – Develop your course to support all LO’s
    Implementation – Efficiently deliver your training in modules, focusing on the LOs
    Evaluation – Constantly evaluate your training, both during, and after and feedback improvements

Give this system a try, and see if there is anything you can improve in your own training!

For further Reading

[ 1 ] https://www.instructionaldesign.org/models/addie/

[ 2 ] https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/f...raining-fails/

[ 3] Doran, G. T. (1981). "There's a S.M.A.R.T. Way to Write Management's Goals and Objectives", Management Review, Vol. 70, Issue 11

[ 4 ] https://explorable.com/domains-of-learning

[ 5 ] https://www.sebokwiki.org/wiki/System_Requirements

[ 6 ] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carneg...d_Student_Hour

[ 7 ] https://educationaltechnology.net/ki...ng-evaluation/
    Last edited by RJ; 01-22-2021 at 03:13 PM.

I feel like I'm missing the real experience because this isn't a PowerPoint presentation.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Saved for later....
    Taking a break from social media.

RJ,

I dig it! I'm going back to school for Instructional Design. Great to see ADDIE here.

Site Supporter
    Rich,

Funny that you posted this. I just got accepted into grad school for a competitive Masters program in ISD. Just read the forward to my 535 text and ADDIE is going to play a big part in my life over the next 2-3 years, at least.

Gotta go start cracking the books for Culturally Inclusive Industrial Design and Culture and Global eLearning.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Perceived value of the Time/Money for training is too low. People don’t feel like they are getting their worth out of the time and money they spend.
    Nope.

Most gun owners are men who think they were born knowing how to handle a gun. Barely-competent performance, such as keeping ten shots on a 20"x20" paper at 50 yards, destroys their egos, so they avoid training because it would force them to live with knowledge of their incompetence.

Seen it too many times while working on public ranges.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I'm currently in the midst of a deep dive into instructional design. I have read numerous books on the topic, and I have just completed a certification course with at least three more planned for 2021.

This is all research for a manual that I am writing on firearms and use of force training. I hope to start delivering classes on point in late 2021 or early 2022.

While I pay respect to ADDIE, Bloom, and company, I am simplifying the process and putting it into more workable language.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'm currently in the midst of a deep dive into instructional design. I have read numerous books on the topic, and I have just completed a certification course with at least three more planned for 2021.

This is all research for a manual that I am writing on firearms and use of force training. I hope to start delivering classes on point in late 2021 or early 2022.

While I pay respect to ADDIE, Bloom, and company, I am simplifying the process and putting it into more workable language.
    Chief,

I started pre courses for this Masters in 2003, a 501 level class, required of all students in the program. Life then intervened, but I really, really liked my into to ID. What really hooked me was my professor's extra carricular activities. Never a pilot of any sort, flew in planes, never worked in the aviation industry. He was tapped by Boeing to form a team of insructional designers to create the course of instruction for the pilots and maintenence crews for the 777 aircraft. The idea that someone with absolutely no experience in an industry could use a simple (but not necessarily easy) process to develop a course of instruction to train trainers whose students would ultimately be responsible for the lives of tens of thousands of people.

My semester project was a Patrol Rifle course that was the first for my agency.

I look forward to your classes if you ever get to the desert southwest, or I can get out to your neck of the woods.

pat

I spent two years of my Marine Corps life in DC as a curriculum developer for Marine Corps Institute, before it was integrated into Marine Net..... Writing such things as the Security and Stabilization Operations course and developing a Infantry Weapons course at the behest of several CWO Gunners that eventually went nowhere as we were rolled into a all online training system.... Rich's post about ADDIE brings back some memories as we all had to get certified before we could work..... But it's why our courses were sooo much better than the crap that has replaced it, that everyone hates and thinks is just a complete waste of our dudes time....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

User Tag List