Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leveraging the ADDIE Model of ISD to Firearms Training

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Chief,

I started pre courses for this Masters in 2003, a 501 level class, required of all students in the program. Life then intervened, but I really, really liked my into to ID. What really hooked me was my professor's extra carricular activities. Never a pilot of any sort, flew in planes, never worked in the aviation industry. He was tapped by Boeing to form a team of insructional designers to create the course of instruction for the pilots and maintenence crews for the 777 aircraft. The idea that someone with absolutely no experience in an industry could use a simple (but not necessarily easy) process to develop a course of instruction to train trainers whose students would ultimately be responsible for the lives of tens of thousands of people.

My semester project was a Patrol Rifle course that was the first for my agency.

I look forward to your classes if you ever get to the desert southwest, or I can get out to your neck of the woods.

pat
    I completed an MPA program in 2004. I took numerous organizational development courses, and the overlap of names and material with ISD has been interesting.

One of the blocks in a course I just completed concerned instructional designers consulting with SMEs in the building of training programs.

"My" sheriff retired on 12/31 after 28 years in office. The new "my" sheriff asked me to stay on as training director, in part, to specifically address use of force training. Enter my new project.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I completed an MPA program in 2004. I took numerous organizational development courses, and the overlap of names and material with ISD has been interesting.

One of the blocks in a course I just completed concerned instructional designers consulting with SMEs in the building of training programs.

"My" sheriff retired on 12/31 after 28 years in office. The new "my" sheriff asked me to stay on as training director, in part, to specifically address use of force training. Enter my new project.
    Congratulations, Sir!

pat

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    RJ,

I dig it! I'm going back to school for Instructional Design. Great to see ADDIE here.
    Very cool. I went to school for my BEEE/ME EE but nothing in my school for ISD in the early 80's. I did know a Dr. of ISD, who was part of our team that put together the entire curriculum for all USAF training of C-130J training in Little Rock AK. Very smart guy. Decent size contract, mid nine figures; I was just one of the PEs on a sub element. Interesting work though. Had many hundreds of US and foreign students through every year. Talk about ITAR headaches...

Rich,

Funny that you posted this. I just got accepted into grad school for a competitive Masters program in ISD. Just read the forward to my 535 text and ADDIE is going to play a big part in my life over the next 2-3 years, at least.

Gotta go start cracking the books for Culturally Inclusive Industrial Design and Culture and Global eLearning.

pat
    Excellent Pat! I still miss the opportunity to buy you something with red and green sauce when I was out at Kirtland. Perhaps I'll run into you sometime in the future. Hope the studying goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Nope.

Most gun owners are men who think they were born knowing how to handle a gun. Barely-competent performance, such as keeping ten shots on a 20"x20" paper at 50 yards, destroys their egos, so they avoid training because it would force them to live with knowledge of their incompetence.
    Can't argue much with that.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    I spent two years of my Marine Corps life in DC as a curriculum developer for Marine Corps Institute, before it was integrated into Marine Net..... Writing such things as the Security and Stabilization Operations course and developing a Infantry Weapons course at the behest of several CWO Gunners that eventually went nowhere as we were rolled into a all online training system.... Rich's post about ADDIE brings back some memories as we all had to get certified before we could work..... But it's why our courses were sooo much better than the crap that has replaced it, that everyone hates and thinks is just a complete waste of our dudes time....
    I had one project with USMC; working with HMX-1 out of Quantico. They were very ah...exacting. Which considering their job, had to be. Unfortunately my training element ($10M of contract value for Part Task Trainer to train one of the crew) got canx'd as part of the overall turn-off of VH-71 when Obama came on board and decided maybe $11B for 13 new helicopters wasn't such good value for money. Can't say I blamed him.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post

The new "my" sheriff asked me to stay on as training director, in part, to specifically address use of force training. Enter my new project.
    Good luck jlw! See ya in Dallas.

Congratulations, Sir!

pat
    It has certainly been a change of pace. I am actually off when I am off (no call, yay!!). My office is in a separate building, and I intentionally don't have a direct extension.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Rich,

It's my town. As the host I will find you something delicious and red/green. Lemme know the next time you are in town. My schedule just recently changed to give me a shit ton more time for breakfast...

It was very nice of you to remember my offer, though.

pat

User Tag List