Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brownells introducing a 1-8X MPO!

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    SFP. 8x. Fail.
    I agree, and would rather have FFP past 4X, but for the price point and quality, it looks like a nice scope.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

My eyes are no longer good enough to see any detail on FFP reticles cranked all the way up so everything has to be SFP for me now.

Since I range with a laser and spin turrets in my use cases for these things it no longer matters. Seeing the detail provided by 8X is a lot more useful to me than 4X so I plan to get one of these and displace a Steiner. For folks using these to range things, and not uncapping/spinning the turrets at distances beyond rule of thumb holdover estimates, I understand why FFP is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    My eyes are no longer good enough to see any detail on FFP reticles cranked all the way up so everything has to be SFP for me now.

Since I range with a laser and spin turrets in my use cases for these things it no longer matters. Seeing the detail provided by 8X is a lot more useful to me than 4X so I plan to get one of these and displace a Steiner. For folks using these to range things, and not uncapping/spinning the turrets at distances beyond rule of thumb holdover estimates, I understand why FFP is essential.
    Cranked all the way to 8X, the reticle will be at it's largest magnification on an FFP scope.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Cranked all the way to 8X, the reticle will be at it's largest magnification on an FFP scope.
    Right and when it is cranked down, the way I carry a rifle it is too fine for me to see clearly

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Right and when it is cranked down, the way I carry a rifle it is too fine for me to see clearly
    Honestly that’s where the cleverness of a reticle mixed with a red dot / illumination comes in to play.

I’m excited to see these optics getting down to Aimpoint T2 prices.

I’m a fence sitter and this has been out of my grasp financially most of my life. But, these LPVO’s and what LPVO’s bring to the table is getting my interest.

I’m slowly being attracted to an Geissele 11.5” upper with close tined war comp being super accurate and an LPVO being an answer.

Man, put a SOCOM RC2 on it and that’s really appealing. It’s about a 4K package. But, that’s a good do-all.

Lort. It’s getting scary for my future wallet out there.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Honestly that’s where the cleverness of a reticle mixed with a red dot / illumination comes in to play.

I’m excited to see these optics getting down to Aimpoint T2 prices.

I’m a fence sitter and this has been out of my grasp financially most of my life. But, these LPVO’s and what LPVO’s bring to the table is getting my interest.

I’m slowly being attracted to an Geissele 11.5” upper with close tined war comp being super accurate and an LPVO being an answer.

Man, put a SOCOM RC2 on it and that’s really appealing. It’s about a 4K package. But, that’s a good do-all.

Lort. It’s getting scary for my future wallet out there.
    The illumination usually isn't aimpoint bright, and it never has Aimpoint battery life.

A SFP 1-4 or 6x still accomplishes a lot even without a daylight bright reticle.

6x is the highest worth doing in SFP IMO. Nothing last that or heavier than a Gen II Viper gets my interest. I just want Vortex to come out with a 1-4 that’s the size and weight of the P4Xi but with all of the slight improvements of the Razor. I could deal with a lightweight Razor capping out at 4x for the mini recce while using the 1-10 on a longer gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t find the weight for this thing. I do agree that 1-8 SFP doesn’t make a lot of sense unless they can keep the weight under 14 oz. I can almost get behind SFP scopes if the weight good (Leupold had a 3-9 SFP around 14 oz iirc). Otherwise, if it’s going to be heavy, it’d better be FFP. Trijicon now has a 1-6 FFP at a lower weight than the Viper PST 1-6, which I have come to like quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Looks like it is 24.8 ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The reticle is only scaled at full 8x. With a 1-4, maybe you’re ok to dial all the way up to use elevation and wind holds. But for a 1-8x that’s too limiting IMO. Add to that the optical tradeoffs of a 8x zoom, and it looks like a fail to me, without even looking through it.
    I would love for someone to explain this to me. Seems to me that the only time I need to use elevation holds is at max power. Admittedly, most of my rifle shooting these days is hunting. When I hunted in Connecticut, I mostly used a 2.5-8X which I carried through the woods set on 2.5X. If I got a long shot, I’d spin it up to 8X. Most of my hunting these days is with a 300WM, 180 grain bullet at 2900 fps and a 2-12X, SFP scope. The subtensions on the factory reticle line up great with this load. Since I’m zeroed at 200, I can’t see why I’d ever need elevation holds under 300 yards, and if I’m shooting at 200+, I’m at 12X anyway. Here’s what this looks like at 300:

Name:  79E1B43A-5445-41B9-8CB1-CCAAAF536DA0.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  25.2 KB

So, for the 1-8X scope discussed here, why would you need elevation holds under 8X? I know when I shot 3-gun, with a 1-6X, sometimes I’d shoot a target at 4X, but not at a distance where I needed elevation holds. I guess FFP might appeal to the PRS crowd, but for an LPVO, I don’t get it.

User Tag List