Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gaming Gamers Thread - (No Spawn Camping)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I haven't played a video game since my kids were small... but.... I want one of these....
    Um, yes please. Also, if we're going to that level of expense, why doesn't it have side screens so you can look left and right?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Um, yes please. Also, if we're going to that level of expense, why doesn't it have side screens so you can look left and right?
    Or a VR headset
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Yeah, I started playing MTG in I think 1995 or so, and never really quit. Been missing playing in person since COVID hit. MTGO is pretty good, even better in some ways (consistent, perfect rules enforcement, can't wear out the cards, no need to shuffle, etc.), but there's something to be said for the social aspects of playing in person.
    My college buddies and I got in on the ground floor of MTG. Our cards were a mix of the beta cards and the white-bordered first edition ones.

It was fun until we realized that whoever had the most money invested would win.
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    It was fun until we realized that whoever had the most money invested would win.
    That is heavily dependent on which format(s) you choose to play these days. If you're into Vintage (used to be called "Type 1," basically includes all of the cards), then competitive decks can be worth $30,000+, but one of my personal favorites is "Pauper," which only allows commons, and is therefore quite affordable - most decks are worth well under $50, and there is a whole range in between.

Or a VR headset
    The biggest reason why is limited implementation of VR headsets into a number of these racing simulators. But now that iRacing has VR capability built in for Oculus there is no reason to go with a big screen anymore, at all.

I loved flight sims in the early 00's.

Other notable games for me were:

Goldeneye. The last console game I ever got into

Half Life. The OG PC game was awesome when it came out. The explosion in mods kept me playing it for years to come (Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, Hostile Intent

Rainbow Six. Loved this title and it kicked off a love affair with the Tom Clancy franchise. Rogue Spear was an excellent sequel and it absorbed way too much of my time as a young teen. Rave shield was alright but marked the beginning of the end.

Ghost Recon. Not really a sequel to R6/Rogue spear, but it was similar and awesome. I loved GR and all of its expansion packs. It also had a pretty healthy mod community in it's prime. Somehow all of the sequels turned into utter piss. Ubisoft destroyed the Clancy franchise and it makes me sad.

Red Orchestra. A truly epic mod for Unreal which launched a paid title and new gaming company(Tripwire) in the burbs of Atlanta where I grew up.

After Red Orchestra and Ghost Recon I pretty much swore off games(2005/06). At some point I realized in my teens that I was spending too much time in front of a screen and needed to get out and do more. College sealed the deal for me and I never purchased another video game. Last time I played a game was probably when the Wii first came out as it seemed like everyone had one at college(except for me) and wanted to play something in a group setting.

That is heavily dependent on which format(s) you choose to play these days. If you're into Vintage (used to be called "Type 1," basically includes all of the cards), then competitive decks can be worth $30,000+, but one of my personal favorites is "Pauper," which only allows commons, and is therefore quite affordable - most decks are worth well under $50, and there is a whole range in between.
    Back in the day, there was only one way.
    ― Ennius

Back in the day, there was only one way.
    Right, but splitting into more possibilities was sort of inevitable, especially once they instituted the "Reserved List" and said they'd never ever print another copy of Black Lotus or any of the other "Power 9" again, as well as a bunch of other powerful cards. These days, there are tons of options for how to play, and I can only see that as a good thing.

I've posted tons of screenshots elsewhere on P-F, play PC daily and a good bit of PlayStation(have owned all 5 gens at this point), also use Xbox Game Pass for PC to get access to exclusives without owning an Xbox.

Mostly playing Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 right now, about 60 hours in since PS5 came out in November. Awesome game, very good samurai movie/western feel with great combat, I just need to finally jump to a 4K display. Was playing tons of PUBG but a lot of those friends moved on to Overwatch, but my 6yo son is very much into Fortnite, so I play a lot of that with him and his mom lately. Cyberpunk plays like sure shit on my 2015 PC build, so decided probably time to plan a new build for this year if I can swing it and give the current setup to the kid.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MpjtHz

Got a Valve Index for Half-Life: Alyx, amazing hardware, super intuitive controllers, display is very good and really sucks you into the world. Alyx is a fantastic game. Beat Saber and Pistol Whip are also great VR titles I play somewhat regularly.

Have a spreadsheet I regularly update with titles and release dates to keep track of, new Nazi Zombie map coming Feb 4 and tons of new titles coming, can't wait for God of War: Ragnarok, Horizon: Forbidden West, Returnal, Hellblade II, Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2, Back 4 Blood(from Turtle Rock Studios, L4D successor), still waiting for Half Life 3.

Excited to see what the creator of Dead Space has coming, he's described it as a AAAA title, so we'll see, one of my favorite franchises.

Last edited by t1tan; 01-25-2021 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post

Then this fall my 7 year old started playing World of Tanks Blitz and got me hooked. The graphics are wonderful, it plays on my iPads, and I get to be a virtual tanker again. I’ve been spending too much time playing it but have to admit it is enjoyable despite the “gamer” qualities. The only thing that really sucks is when I (who spent 8 years of my life as a tank commander) gets slaughtered by some kid. Something that happens all to regularly.
    WOT Blitz has taken over my office and a lot of others in our Agency play it religiously; due to all the travel and iPads and whatnot. It’s addicting but I wish they’d tone down the “pay to win” shit.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List