Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: The Gaming Gamers Thread - (No Spawn Camping)

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Wow, reality meets fiction.

I've never played any of the Assassin's Creed games, but I found myself watching a video of AC2, where the protagonist is running around Florence, Italy. I had to stop the video because at one point I said, "I've walked down that exact street!"
    I really enjoyed AC Origins (Ancient Egypt) and AC Odyssey (Ancient Greece). I believe Origins has a free "exploration" mode that allows you to fly over the historic location in the game. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Wow, reality meets fiction.

I've never played any of the Assassin's Creed games, but I found myself watching a video of AC2, where the protagonist is running around Florence, Italy. I had to stop the video because at one point I said, "I've walked down that exact street!"
    I was a big fan of the series in the beginning, the first one with Altaïr, and Ezios arc across 2/Brotherhood/Revelations were fantastic, then the whole conflict between Assassins and Templars just disappeared from the series. I’ve still played all of them hoping for the story to go somewhere, but I’m always left disappointed. Despite that, Black Flag was very good and expanded on the ship combat they built for 3, and now they actually have a new game called Skull and Bones to take advantage of the systems they built, it was delayed for years but supposed to finally release in November. Origins was a good one story wise, Odyssey was okay but had some of the worst voice acting I’ve ever heard in a AAA game. I’m working through Valhalla but keep ditching it for other games, but graphically on a PS5 on my 65” Samsung S95B it is very impressive. They just officially announced AC “Mirage” and are supposed to reveal it in a week or two. It’s like Call of Duty though, they crank out an annual title and hardly put any work into it because they know the name will sell it, so I never expect much.

I’d never gamed until my son got “Battlefield 1”. My fascination with WWI weapons got the better of me.

The only other game I played much was Battlefield V, which sucked.

Starting out, he had to tell me what buttons to push.

I eventually got good, much to the chagrin of my better half.

I haven’t played in about 3 years. It was fun, but I was spending too much time on it. Besides, there weren’t many people playing anymore, and my favorite mode, Frontlines, had all but vanished.

Campers generally didn’t last long in BFI. They were easy pickens for scouts (snipers).

There was nothing more gratifying than taking out a tank with a limpet charge.

Site Supporter
    Its not a new game, but I've been playing a lot of Battle Brothers recently. Imagine X-com, but with mercenaries in a medieval fantasy setting. You and your band of former caravan guards, farmhands, runaway apprentices, and if you're very successful, a hedge knight or two provide protection from wild beasts, bandits, raiders, monsters, and worse. There's magic in the world, but all your dudes have is their skills and hardware. As the player, you manage contracts, buy equipment, keep your company fed, and control the dudes in the turn-based combat map.

Like X-com, you lose guys, sometimes by the cartload. Bad decisions mean you lose key guys you've leveled up all game. Really bad decisions mean you lose everybody and start over (each game has a new random world). It is very satisfying when you get your company to the late game however. Sometimes you have to be a little heartless, abandoning a village to monsters because you just aren't good enough, or leaving one of your guys to be eaten by monsters because he has a busted leg and can't run away fast enough, and if you stick with him, everyone else dies. Also, though, you occasionally recruit some ne'r-do-well day laborer who through luck and experience ends up becoming a face-kicking killer.

I need a break from multiplayer games and decided to try Cyberpunk 2077 out again since it has had some time for patches and I was able to get a series X to run it (even though I said I was done).

The jank is down to acceptable levels from launch and has been pretty fun. The game play is a bit like a faster version of fallout 4 with the addition of some real time excel based combat..I mean quick hacks. Some of the story parts are a bit heavy handed even for an RPG. The preamble for some quests can often take nearly 45 minutes only for it to contain a single combat encounter in a room or two.

I also recently finished playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint which was pretty fun. It takes an hour or two to start getting the hang of things and to figure out how to turn off the signature Ubisoft hand holding.
    This is probably the closest game I have found it a while that compares to SOCOM II from the Playstation 2 days. It also doesn't hurt that I was able to make a reasonably close rendition of an LTT 92 in the weapon editor

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    I really enjoyed AC Origins (Ancient Egypt) and AC Odyssey (Ancient Greece). I believe Origins has a free "exploration" mode that allows you to fly over the historic location in the game. Highly recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I’d never gamed until my son got “Battlefield 1”. My fascination with WWI weapons got the better of me.

The only other game I played much was Battlefield V, which sucked.

Starting out, he had to tell me what buttons to push.

I eventually got good, much to the chagrin of my better half.

I haven’t played in about 3 years. It was fun, but I was spending too much time on it. Besides, there weren’t many people playing anymore, and my favorite mode, Frontlines, had all but vanished.

Campers generally didn’t last long in BFI. They were easy pickens for scouts (snipers).

There was nothing more gratifying than taking out a tank with a limpet charge.
    I really enjoyed the campaigns of the first two Battlefield Bad Company games. The multiplayers weren’t bad. My favorite version for online play was BF3. BF4 went to far towards COD. I liked the Vietnam and 1943 online play. I buy the newest version. I watched too many streamers play who didn’t like it.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I almost got sucked in to the black hole of "Star Citizen" (since I love the Chris Roberts games of yore), but quickly realized I just don't have the time for all that.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I picked up one of these today on Amazon, same day delivery. A couple hours in with it and I’m really impressed, I wanted a way to play Fortnite and Minecraft over Xbox Game Pass with my son while I’m stuck at work. I’d prefer to use my iPad and my elite controller but I don’t have access to decent wifi at my station, so this is the next best thing I think, seems very well thought out and definitely exceeded my expectations.

https://a.co/d/7SWI5Xv

^further

I just tried it in the car on the way to a restaurant playing Back4Blood over Xbox Cloud Gaming on my iPhone. No issues besides a dip or two over 5Ge over the course of 15+ minutes, don’t think I could expect better for now, I’m happy.

Student
    I do not play video games, but recently I watched a review of Pathways Into Darkness / the Marathon trilogy on MandaloreGaming's channel and found it to be a very insightful series of video essays that start with mechanics and design, and end up in lore.

I only ever played the first Marathon a little bit in the library in middle school. It was also my introduction to a multiplayer game that was played on a LAN rather than everyone sitting in front of the same device.

User Tag List