Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gaming Gamers Thread - (No Spawn Camping)

I got BF2042 for PC. It's on sale via Epic games for $30 (if you use their coupon). I have mixed reactions. It's a bit of a chore/complicated to find the game modes you want to play - such as TDM. I still haven't 100 figured out the best way to join matches. I also have difficulty figuring out team makeups in game, apparently because they removed the score display?
    Gameplay wise, it's decent but I wish there was a simple way to join TDM so you can play with equipment. The whole class nonsense doesn't bother me that much, although it's a bit weird having Indian or Swedish soldiers play for the Russians. That's why I liked the older system of classes where you could tell sides easier and it was way more realistic.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    Mini rant time on DRM, customer service, and EA being the literal devil

TL: DR Write your shit down, password safe, a notepad, whatever. write it down.

Despite the current issues of BF 2042 I still have some desire to purchase it. I have enjoyed BF games since the time of bad company 1 and "own" every single BF game.
    Having some plans to purchase 2042, but waiting for my monthly data cap to reset before I commit to it,
    I decide to load up Battlefield 1 for some fun WW2 action.

I booted up the game and was greeted with a pop-up "we've noticed that you have not signed-in in a while, so for security purposes we have reset you password (which I knew).
    Please use the link sent to .....@.....com" Huh, I stopped using that e-mail almost 10 years ago. It literally doesn't exist anymore.

Well I have a second EA account that I created for steam, maybe I can use that. After lots of searching, there is literally no way to link an Xbox from EA's side, it has to be through a game.
    Turn on Xbox, boot up BF1. Hit with another reset pop-up. Can't find anywhere to link my accounts.

I go to EA's website and click their the FAQ/help links and there is an option for dealing with a lost email, which sends you an e-mail...to the lost account
    Ok, no problem "login through microsoft". Which somehow logs me into my new account despite only being linked to my old one. Ok well I'm in, reset password. *sends another password reset email to the wrong email. Crap.
    Customer support it is then.

CS is done only by live chat, ok. Guess I will go back to this when I have more time...
    Start ticket, wait 20 minutes for a rep to sign on. Describe the issue. "Ok no problem, we will de-link your account and transfer the data to your new account,
    but first we need you to answer some account verification questions." Oh shit, here we go

What is you IP address?

Last 4 of credit card associated with account
    uhh, let me ask my parents what CC they had 15 years ago hang on...

What is the billing address of the account
    in the time frame that I made this account was 3 house and 2 911 re-addressings ago

What is you DOB
    uhhh 1918? I was under 18 when the account was made so what ever it is it's fake and I don't know

What phone number is on the account?

Remember the house thing? Yeah the phone is kinda like that too

Name an EA title and the exact date you purchased it

for real...is this for real!

"Sorry we can't help you with the answers you have provided at this time. Have a nice day!"

Over 2 hours of my day off gone and now I have hundreds of dollars of games tied to an inaccessible account and I will be barred from playing any future EA titles on my Xbox.
    Guess I will play some more warzo....the Caldera update made it unplayable on xbox.
    Dude that is miserable luck.

I got accidentally lucky and avoided this by turning my old hotmail address into my default spam/online shopping email address, and kept it alive that way. If that hadn't happened... ugh!

I was done with video games before I graduated high school in 1987, never even had an Atari in our home, and have only tried my hand at them a couple of times since, always with dismal results.

About a decade ago, a buddy loaned me his "old" system, some kind of Nintendo, I think, to help pass the 2mo recovery time I was facing after a surgery. He gave me some cursory instruction and the promise that I'd get the hang of it quickly. I did not. All the games were first person shooter and my character usually got stuck in a corner and got killed before I could even figure out how to turn around.

This played out again last week when my son and I were spending a crappy weather, dads & sons day hanging out at with one of my best friends and his son at their place. Eventually the game system came out, Nintendo Switch, which what my now pie-eyed 5yr old has been talking about wanting to get when he turns 6. (His best buddy and is 6mos older and already has one.) I tried and failed once again to do anything useful at all with the controller.

I'd like to learn how to operate one of these infernal machines so as to have another tool in the box for spending time with him and being better able to monitor what he's doing on the system when he's playing alone. Any suggestions on how I can learn how to play a mf'ing video game in 2020too?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I'd like to learn how to operate one of these infernal machines so as to have another tool in the box for spending time with him and being better able to monitor what he's doing on the system when he's playing alone. Any suggestions on how I can learn how to play a mf'ing video game in 2020too?
    I only play games on the PC and can't stand the controller. Unfortunately, the only way to learn is by practice. If you can handle keyboard/mouse better than the controller, start on the PC and slowly move to a console. Also, some consoles allow you to use keyboard/mouse.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    You might want to try something simple, like Clubhouse Games, just to get the feeling of using the controller. Then maybe try Mario Party, which has a number of different game types you can try to get a range of samples.

The control schemes in some games are so complicated I have to take notes on the button layout so I can remember what I'm doing, and I'm a millennial who grew up with this stuff. Go slow and practice it like anything else.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Steam's Summer Sale is on. Already picked up "Cities: Skyline" and "Deep Rock Galactic". Also has 29% off "Final Fantasy VII Remake" - wish I had waited a week before buying that.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

If I wanted an education in the history, technology, and types of shooting games (arcade games, video games, first person shooters), are there resources that people would recommend?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    If I wanted an education in the history, technology, and types of shooting games (arcade games, video games, first person shooters), are there resources that people would recommend?
    this is probably not quite what you are looking for, but may be interesting as a starting point. These are from way back when, before G4TV turned into a woke mess, the "Icons" series was pretty good.

Full youtube playlist link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=438t...AaQ0ajXXt5uIAD

This one has little to do with FPS games and is about the start of video games as a whole

Check out https://youtube.com/c/NoclipVideo

Great video game documentaries and behind the scenes for a lot of titles, even obscure and cancelled games.

Geoff Keighly also has done some great work on some Valve based game documentaries.

New ninja turtles game is fantastic.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

User Tag List