Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gaming Gamers Thread - (No Spawn Camping)

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Agreed. I remember the good old days when you bought the game and played it.
    That is 90% of why I am done with modern games.

Step 1 buy game
    Step 2 insert CD, then install
    Step 3 download 50gb update
    Day 4 Play g...
    Day 4 download new 50gb
    Step 5 Run out of hard drive space and delete something
    Step 6 buy "new" content packs that were already on the disc when you bought it.
    step 7 play game

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Holy F! Who can afford $50 per plane?!?
    I only buy things during sales. They usually go for 50%-75% off. Also the base DCS comes with a few free planes. Their next sale may be during the Lunar New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    That is 90% of why I am done with modern games.

Step 1 buy game
    Step 2 insert CD, then install
    Step 3 download 50gb update
    Day 4 Play g...
    Day 4 download new 50gb
    Step 5 Run out of hard drive space and delete something
    Step 6 buy "new" content packs that were already on the disc when you bought it.
    step 7 play game
    I don't remember the last time I ever bought CD. 98% is digital content.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    I don't remember the last time I ever bought CD. 98% is digital content.
    I have corn field internet. Stuff takes around 8 hours per 10 gb and I am restricted to only downloading in the PM. A physical disc knocks days off a download.

I read through this rather quickly but didn’t see it, is anyone into mobile gaming???

I started with my parents Atari which half ass worked and onto another yard sale variant that worked ever so slightly better in the early 90’s. My first console was Sega Genesis where it was Sonic the Hedgehog and eventually Mortal Kombat series. My parents split and after a few years my stepbrother brought his PlayStation and Resident Evil game over and I had to have one. I saved up and put one on layaway at K-Mart at the ripe age of 12. PlayStation brought a whole new level of gaming and graphics. My friends were jealous and by the time they had saved up enough money to buy one, PS 2 was released. Now my console was “obsolete”.

Thus I had to jump onto the newest player in town, Xbox. Xbox had some shit cool exclusive games like Halo. My first time being able to link up and have a full squad and play against other players in another room linked with a 25’ USB cord. Awesome!!! Kept us out of trouble when all other businesses in town that had kept generations of teenagers before us busy and out of trouble (or possibly be the site where it had began), had closed. Halo, GTA, and such kept us occupied but it was Xbox 360 and playing online vs other players in the world that really started to foster an unhealthy addiction as we entered into our 20’s and suddenly staying up all night playing video games was not conducive with college, work, family life, etc. that we all were entering varying degrees. A nearly 10 year hiatus ensued.

A friend told me about this fantastic mobile game that you can download on your phone call Players Unknown Battlegrounds (PUBG). It’s a battle royale game where you squad up with other players, loot to find guns, ammo, med kits, etc. and try to kill everyone else. Call of Duty also released a mobile version complete with their infamous version Team Deathmatch and the like. It took some time to adjust to playing but it honestly is the modern era of dads out at bowling night. I have made some great friendships with people whom I have never met. I can get a quick match in while taking a dump or play sitting at the hotel while on the road for work. All in a package that fits in my pocket and not having to occupy a television. It’s fantastic and aside from computer gaming, I see a bright future for mobile gaming***

***My kiddos are around the age I was when I got my first Sega. Still have the Sega and original Xbox and while they have access to it, they hav little interest. For the cost of 1 new gaming system I bought 4 prepaid iPhones with no plan. Setup parental controls to negate phone calls, texts, and web browsing. Also setup to get my approval to download any app that is age appropriate. They play their games on their devices during allowed time and it still doesn’t occupy the TV. They can also take their gaming devices on vacations or to grandparents house and play. With COVID we have been able to connect to their friends and they can text or FaceTime per my protocols. My eldest even plays PUBG and COD with me and the guys. The portability and cost really makes me think that this will surpass traditional consoles in the next 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuosity Student View Post
    I read through this rather quickly but didn’t see it, is anyone into mobile gaming???

I started with my parents Atari which half ass worked and onto another yard sale variant that worked ever so slightly better in the early 90’s. My first console was Sega Genesis where it was Sonic the Hedgehog and eventually Mortal Kombat series. My parents split and after a few years my stepbrother brought his PlayStation and Resident Evil game over and I had to have one. I saved up and put one on layaway at K-Mart at the ripe age of 12. PlayStation brought a whole new level of gaming and graphics. My friends were jealous and by the time they had saved up enough money to buy one, PS 2 was released. Now my console was “obsolete”.

Thus I had to jump onto the newest player in town, Xbox. Xbox had some shit cool exclusive games like Halo. My first time being able to link up and have a full squad and play against other players in another room linked with a 25’ USB cord. Awesome!!! Kept us out of trouble when all other businesses in town that had kept generations of teenagers before us busy and out of trouble (or possibly be the site where it had began), had closed. Halo, GTA, and such kept us occupied but it was Xbox 360 and playing online vs other players in the world that really started to foster an unhealthy addiction as we entered into our 20’s and suddenly staying up all night playing video games was not conducive with college, work, family life, etc. that we all were entering varying degrees. A nearly 10 year hiatus ensued.

A friend told me about this fantastic mobile game that you can download on your phone call Players Unknown Battlegrounds (PUBG). It’s a battle royale game where you squad up with other players, loot to find guns, ammo, med kits, etc. and try to kill everyone else. Call of Duty also released a mobile version complete with their infamous version Team Deathmatch and the like. It took some time to adjust to playing but it honestly is the modern era of dads out at bowling night. I have made some great friendships with people whom I have never met. I can get a quick match in while taking a dump or play sitting at the hotel while on the road for work. All in a package that fits in my pocket and not having to occupy a television. It’s fantastic and aside from computer gaming, I see a bright future for mobile gaming***

***My kiddos are around the age I was when I got my first Sega. Still have the Sega and original Xbox and while they have access to it, they hav little interest. For the cost of 1 new gaming system I bought 4 prepaid iPhones with no plan. Setup parental controls to negate phone calls, texts, and web browsing. Also setup to get my approval to download any app that is age appropriate. They play their games on their devices during allowed time and it still doesn’t occupy the TV. They can also take their gaming devices on vacations or to grandparents house and play. With COVID we have been able to connect to their friends and they can text or FaceTime per my protocols. My eldest even plays PUBG and COD with me and the guys. The portability and cost really makes me think that this will surpass traditional consoles in the next 5-10 years.
    Maybe I am "elitist", but I ideologically oppose mobile gaming and proudly belong to the PC Master race :P. I especially despise games that are full of micro transactions, which the mobile market appears to be rife with.
    Also logistically, there is no way you can have the same graphics on a table phone/ as on the pc and I can't learn any other control method besides mouse/keyboard.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    We have a PS4 and my son plays with his friends on it. But he's really a PC gamer. He's good too, he speed runs Dark Souls and wins Tarkov...tournaments? Not sure how that works. Anyway idk how well that translates to real world success, but he's damn good at video games.

Personally I'm a Zelda guy. Doom Eternal was pretty dope though.

Hi, I'm straitR, and I've been addicted to COD for last 17 years. Family and kids slowed things down (full stop, zero games) for half a decade, but I still love it and play the new Black Ops Cold War when the family goes to bed. Games take your mind off the BS hustle and bustle of life, and have always been a positive stress release for me. It's all about playing and laughing with friends (a lot). IMO, more people should 1) exercise regularly (preferably outside) and 2) play some video games online with friends (preferably with 2 fingers of neat bourbon).

Been gaming since I was a single digit lad and got an Atari 2600 the year they came out, then on pretty much every game system released since (including ColecoVision and Intellivision. Never bought a Game Cube). Started PC gaming in the early 2000's with MechWarrior, Castle Wolfenstein, and Medal of Honor. First COD dropped in 2003 and I was instantly hooked. I did that semi-professionally for a few years (COD 2/3) while in college just after leaving the military, but now I plug a M/KB into a PS4 for convenience.

Like most, I'm still hunting down a new PS5.

Figured this would be a good place to ask.

I don't currently have a game console, but need some input on purchasing one. I guess my choices are XBox or Playstation. I'm a retired boomer, some experience with a PS/2 (PS/2?! EEK!) mainly Ratchet and Clank; I've watched my son place some FPS shooter or other involving a Master Chief. That's about it. I plan to buy a mid-priced ($300) racing wheel, which may or may not be ensconced in a simulated "racing seat" of some kind, exact details to be worked out. I am likely going to add a wide screen monitor of some kind (again, TBD) but don't plan to go for multiple consoles/multiple viewports. This is strictly for fun.

In so far as racing games, I would prefer to select one that features "at least" Nurburgring and Lemans. Bonus points for current or past F1 tracks. I understand that there's been an explosion in eSports but let's face it, I'd be no match for a bunch of 14 year old gamers in their basements.

Here's my (uneducated) selection, feel free to steer (get it!? Steer? ) me in a better direction:

Console: XBox Series X https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-S/dp/B08...6186379&sr=8-3

Wheel: Thrustmaster TMX Pro https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9K9N33...v_ov_lig_dp_it

As to what to start out on, not sure right now between Project Cars and Forza Horizon, but am looking.

TIA...

For ideas about racing and various rigs, checkout SimRacing on Reddit. T Slot rigs tend to be most popular due to their flexibility. You can also buy just the plans or make your own and just purchase the materials from tnutz.com.
    My "gaming hobby" is flight sims - somewhat related. I ended up creating a movable stand that holds my sticks/throttle/MFDs and an additional monitor. For display I am using 65" Q80T TV.
    Another option is VR. I tried VR three times and never liked. My main issues were that:
    1. It's uncomfortable and gets hot/sweaty
    2. I got a little queasy (may be rectified by settings)
    3. The resolution is still low compared to 1440 / 4K one gets on TVs.
    My current "rig".

User Tag List