Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gaming Gamers Thread - (No Spawn Camping)

Site Supporter
    Been gaming in one form or another since the late 80s. All of the Fallout games, Doom, different AD&D games. Currently playing the Baldar's gate games again. Pen and paper games, AD&D, Battle Tech, and Starfleet were my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Why no one makes gun controllers and those types of shooting games anymore is beyond me. You'd think with all the dryfire systems on the market someone would do something that works on a console.
    Agreed. Or even better, a "dry fire aid" in the form factor of a 9mm (or .40, .45, whatever you need) cartridge but with a camera instead of a laser that works with a PC, presumably via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. Pop it into a gun, engage in automatically scored dry fire. Or even better-er because safety, something like a SIRT. Bonus points if it I can import USPSA-type stage designs from SketchUp or similar and run through them for score.

I don't really play much anymore. My wife would like to get another console though.

I started with a sega gensis, but we hit the big time with a PS1 and crash bandicoot. Mom and Dad took away Duke Nukem, Nuclear Dawn, and something else I don't remember. Then, we were one of the first families to have PS2 tha ks to an uncle at Christmas. Mom and Dad were unhappy. That's when we started playing Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, GTA, and pretty much any shooting game. Call of Duty split acreen with friends was common. Then... we went online. After that I was all about SOCOM amd SOCOM II. I still yell "green up" like I used to in SOCOM lobbies when at a stop light.

After the wife moved in we had an Xbox360. Then an XB1. She started playing COD and was good. Then she joined a clan. Then she got really good. Like, no fun to play with anymore good. She was getting nukes every round. She was on the leaderboard for the original COD black ops for a bit because of her K/D. After college and moving I played The Division and liked it. She stillplayed COD but the clan broke up.

Then we had our son. Gaming stopped. Consoles were sold. Life changed for the better, but gaming wasn't part of it. Last year I played Escape from Tarkov on PC a little but not much. My wife would like to play COD again.

My brother is a real gamer. He got the bug bad when we were kids. Has a gaming PC and does GTA mods, flight sims, and all kinds of stuff. He used to be a streamer but I'm not sure if he still does that. His daughter slowed that down.

Site Supporter
    I started with DigDug and Sopwith on an IBM 8088XT, with DUAL 5 1/4" floppy drives and a super expensive EGA monitor.

NES and SNES were favored for JRPG's, and I own lots of them including an original SNES cart of Ogre Battle.

Then I begged my Dad to let me build a 486DX2/66 so I could finally run Doom. A friend had a 486SX/33 and it struggled a bit on that game. We mowed lawns together to save up for another 4MB stick of 72-pin RAM so we could play Doom on his computer without a boot disk. This need to tinker with PC's to get the best game performance led me to getting an A+ and Net+ certification before leaving high school, which led to a career in IT that treated me well from 2000-2008 when the balloon popped and I ended up joining the Army.

From there; Doom, Rise of the Triad (what an underrated game) Rainbow Six, early Counterstrike betas turning into playing Counterstrike competitively in a CAL-M 'clan' and winning a video card and some other swag from those victories. I'm still sad we'll never see a Half Life 3.

A PS1 snuck in there along the way and along with it came Gran Turismo 1 and 2. I'd by lying if I said those games had no effect on my love for cars. JRPG's like FF7 were also enjoyed immensely. Call me a softie but there's not yet been a movie, book, or any other story that broke my heart like seeing Aerith die in that game.
    The way Mass Effect 3 ended was a close second, though, but in sheer heartbreaking disappointment and not just pure heartbreak. God I loved the Mass Effect series though. Sucks that EA just flushed all of that endgame potential down the shitter. But it's EA, they're the Taurus of game publishers. People will buy it anyway even when it sucks.

Starcraft was around of course, and lots of other FPS's including the whole COD series. LOTS of time on COD:MW2, probably my favorite era for online FPS's. Battlefield:4 was a close second though, especially when playing with a group of friends.

I also have every Battletech/Mechwarrior game ever. I do mean *ever*. I even have every novel FASA or ROC published except one. Lots of empty COVID time on my deployment was made much more passable with the newest turn-based Battletech game on my MSI gaming laptop. Mostly because it was single-player and turn based so I could just leave it immediately if needed without any fuss. That led to me logging about 350hrs in that game over the deployment, of which I was actually playing around 100hrs.

Never really kept up with consoles after the PS1 but I loved the Halo series. I played them on PC though since keyboard+mouse is the way to roll for shooters IMHO.

After I got back from my recent deployment, I decided I needed a new gaming rig. So I built one. Intel I5 10600K OC'd to 4.22ghz w/32GB of RAM, and a Radeon 5700XT in an NZXT watercooled tower case and a shitload of SSD space. Rounded it out with a new Gigabyte 32in 165hz gaming monitor and an Apex Pro mechanical keyboard.

With the wedding and car projects and house and everything else, I've basically used it to post on P-F, buy shit online, and play about 30hrs of Cyberpunk 2077. Which stars Keanu Reeves and I'm rolling around with neon green pants and a huge ass revolver with a bizarre RDS so life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    ...with the newest turn-based Battletech game on my MSI gaming laptop. Mostly because it was single-player and turn based so I could just leave it immediately if needed without any fuss.
    Tell me more. Inquiring minds want to know.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/637090/BATTLETECH/

I played the original version, I see that there a number of new ones as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    https://harebrained-schemes.com/battletech/

It's pretty damn true to the original feel and core game concepts. They did rebalance a few things but overall in ways that honestly make a lot of sense and work well.
    It's set in 3025ish with nice weird Periphery adventures and LosTech floating around. All the drama is good old fashioned Succession war era drama, no Clanners to be found.

https://harebrained-schemes.com/battletech/

It's pretty damn true to the original feel and core game concepts. They did rebalance a few things but overall in ways that honestly make a lot of sense and work well.
    It's set in 3025ish with nice weird Periphery adventures and LosTech floating around. All the drama is good old fashioned Succession war era drama, no Clanners to be found.
    I heard it was buggy as hell. True?
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Casual gamer now. The Far Cry series is by “Far” my favorite. Back when FC3 was the latest, I found myself up till 4:00 in the morning playing Co-Op. Wound up with a pretty good team with me from the US, a guy from Germany, a lady from Romania, and a few random other players, and at times my brother.
    I like the Far Cry series too because they give you a lot of stuff to do, though most of them don't allow for a "good" ending.

I remember one time in Far Cry 4 I was watching an elephant walk up to a pond to take a drink when a crocodile sprang out of the water and grabbed onto the elephant's trunk. After which the elephant proceeded to stomp the crocodile to death. Crazy.

Then I had to laugh in Primal when I killed a dude in the forest and my pet wolf ran up and whizzed on the corpse.

LOTS of time on COD:MW2, probably my favorite era for online FPS's. Battlefield:4 was a close second though, especially when playing with a group of friends.
    That really was a golden era. I had forgotten about Battlefield: 4. That was always a blast.

I suddenly remember playing a crummy game called Navyfield for awhile too. WWII era ship game on PC.

User Tag List