Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gaming Gamers Thread - (No Spawn Camping)

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Anyone here setup a RetroPie? I have an unused Raspberry Pi 4 I've been thinking of experimenting with. If the end result is more complicated than turning the system on and grabbing a controller, it might not be worth the effort though.
    I had never heard of a "RetroPie" before.

Now I want one.

It looks like it would scratch several itches: embedded code/board work, DIY stuff, and gaming.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    RetroPie experiment thus far.

Name:  retro_pi_1.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  retro_pi_2.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  38.9 KB

The initial configuration is a little awkward - most of it is done with your game pad, but a keyboard and mouse are required for a handful of things. Once it's setup and you have your ROMs loaded, you turn the thing on, pick what you want to play, and go. Have only tried a handful of games, but the premise seems solid.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Loaded up Capcom's CPS-2 library and found a Mad Catz fightstick I'd had in a closet for about 12 years. RetroPie recognized the fightstick immediately, and after about 60-seconds of mapping the buttons, I was in game.

You can pick up a Raspberry Pi CanaKit for about $70 and there's a decent chance it'll work with gamepads you already have lying around. I can safely say it's worth a try if you're curious.

Name:  xcota_retropie.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  98.3 KB
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Finally getting around to playing some of Halo: the Master Chief Collection. CE is still my favorite Halo game. This pic sums up a lot, though

― Ennius

Anyone have experience with Ready or Not? Came across it today and it sounds like the spiritual successor to the SWAT and Rainbow Six-style tactical shooters of old. It's Early Access on Steam, but seems to be well received.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Anyone have experience with Ready or Not? Came across it today and it sounds like the spiritual successor to the SWAT and Rainbow Six-style tactical shooters of old. It's Early Access on Steam, but seems to be well received.
    Looks interesting. However, Void Interactive appears to be a New Zealand company. What do they know about guns? [sarcasm] And why set the game in the US, why not Wellington?
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    My gaming update:
    Battlefield:2042 is a strategy-free shitshow with boring maps where everything is pointlessly overbalanced. It's basically a grindy not-fun waste of time.
    Yet my three old gaming buddies and I are happy to be getting a few hours in every Sunday morning, if only so that we hear each other talk shit and complain about what a crappy game it is.

Call of Duty Warzone released the new map a couple weeks ago and just added the anti cheat update last week. Caldera is a fun map and the strategy has changed a lot.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    My gaming update:
    Battlefield:2042 is a strategy-free shitshow with boring maps where everything is pointlessly overbalanced. It's basically a grindy not-fun waste of time.
    Yet my three old gaming buddies and I are happy to be getting a few hours in every Sunday morning, if only so that we hear each other talk shit and complain about what a crappy game it is.
    The last good Battlefield game was Battlefield 2.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    The last good Battlefield game was Battlefield 2.
    I have to admit that I had a good time with BF4 until they over-nerfed and over-balanced everything. The maps were well laid out and looked good too. But yeah, BF2 was way better.

User Tag List