Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gaming Gamers Thread - (No Spawn Camping)

Started with the SNES, Super Mario World, Megaman X, and Secret of Mana. Eventually moved on to the Playstations and found my love of shooters with the SOCOM games, Metal gear solid, and the various Tom Clancy games. My parents had some work computers that I was able to run Command & Conquer on, but nothing else. The Xbox 360 was the first console I bought with my own money in 2007. Primary played Halo, Mass Effect and Call of duty 4, Plus an ungodly amount of hours into Elder Scrolls and Fallout. I had a gamefly account(netflix for games) at the time and worked through enough games to eventually build a disgusting 100k gamerscore. I later bought a PS3, but only ever played Metal gear 4...once. Played a ton of the Dark souls games too. Physically played Magic the Gathering and a D&D clone called "Hero Quest" for a while until my siblings moved out. Still have all my Magic cards and the HQ set on a shelf somewhere.

Halo and the COD4 will always have a huge place in my heart. My stepfather passed away in 2008 when I was 16. Playing those game on Xbox live with my Step-brother and his friends who lived in Florida created a pretty awesome relationship that I had not had before. Somewhere in this time frame I was also on the Ground floor of the first Extra Life Charity for children's' hospitals that grew out of the now defunct Sarcastic Gamer forum. I have not participated in it for years, but they having been pulling in some heavyweight numbers for a few years now and I am proud to have been a small part of that.

2015 I got an Xbox One. I fell into The Witcher 3 for nearly 8 months, bought a PS4 but only ever played BloodBorne...more than once. Played some other games, but at this time I was more interested in USPSA and my focus shifted.

Currently, few games of late have caught my attention, most of the new stuff feels like things I have already done. The current price increases and general attitude of the industry have soured me. The push towards more digital content has also been difficult on a slow rural internet.
    I may pickup Cold war just as an easy unwind, but after the new console generation solidifies itself I will be taking a long break from it all.

Been gaming since the 80's. Tabletop, Console and PC but just Console now. Xbox1X at the moment.

Honestly the games I remember really enjoying the most were on the C64 (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Gunship, Airborne Ranger, Pirates, F19 stealth fighter, Paradroid) and my Packard Bell 486 DX2/50 (Colonization, Civilization II, Doom 1-2, Hexen, Descent, Dark Forces, X-Wing, Tie-Fighter, X-com, Masters of Orion, Aces over Europe, Aces Pacific, Mechwarrior).

On Xbox I have really enjoyed the Fallout, Elderscrolls, Metro and Far Cry (Primal was my favorite followed closely by 5) . I have played quite a bit of FPS. I was on the leaderboards on COD World at War (only version I ever prestiged more than 1 time).

Was really into World of Tanks on Xbox for a while but they got progressively stupider so I don't play now. I was ranked in the top 10 in the world on several tanks (might still be.) I don't much care for the head to head battles anymore. I tried PubG, hated it. I have friends who beg me to play the new COD Battle Royale, but I am much happier not playing competitive games.

Right now I am playing Skyrim Special Edition doing actual roleplaying with my characters in survival mode. Kind of cool. I have Metro Exodus and Witcher 2 and 3 on deck to play.

I play Minecraft every once in a while.

I was also into tabletop gaming.

I was an early player of Magic the Gathering. Actually talked my "local" comic store guy into carrying them back in college so that I could get the cards after they were released. I actually still have a functioning complete Dark Tower game that my wife and I play when the power goes out.

I still have all my old AD&D 2nd edition stuff as well as my Battletech stuff, just don't play anymore. I was really into painting the Mech's/vehicles back in the late 90's. Stopped after I got married.

Some of the newer games have gotten so PC and "inclusive" to the point of silliness that I probably won't continue buying new games and just play old games and yell at people to stay off my lawn. Interestingly enough, I have several much younger friends that HATE these games more than I do. I wonder if the industry is cutting its own throat?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Wife and I were discussing buying a PlayStation 5, and then wondered why we'd bothered since there's a huge library of games lying around I either a) never actually played, or b) played and wanted to show her. So in the past year, we've finished:

Final Fantasy VII (the original)
    Knights of the Old Republic
    Mass Effect 1/2/3
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Uncharted 1/2/3
    Mortal Kombat 1/2

Also spent some time messing with RetroArch and found that emulators have come a long way in the past several years, so the classic gaming theme will likely continue for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I gotta' know.. WTF is "spawn camping"
    A "spawn point" is where your character appears ("spawns") in the game. In multiplayer games, assholes will hang around ("camp") spawn points and kill players that are just joining the game before they have the ability to respond.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

My lady and I work opposite schedules. I had the once house to myself last night, which happens two times every couple of weeks. Discovered how fun Squad was again on PC and also messed with Paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    My lady and I work opposite schedules. I had the once house to myself last night, which happens two times every couple of weeks. Discovered how fun Squad was again on PC and also messed with Paladins.
    Squad? Paladins?
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Monopoly is just a bad game. I don't know why anyone plays it.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/393380/Squad/

https://www.paladins.com/

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I tried Squad for a bit but couldn't get into it like how I used to be all-in on it's original, BF2: Project Reality.

The PR fanbase was much more team oriented. I think Mumble was much more immersive since the only people who could talk on the radio were squad leaders and everyone else could only use a local voice chat which was directional and dependent on distance as well (you had to yell to get someone 100 yards away to hear).

That key aspect forced you to play as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post

Right now I am playing Skyrim Special Edition doing actual roleplaying with my characters in survival mode. Kind of cool. I have Metro Exodus and Witcher 2 and 3 on deck to play.
    You're in for a real treat!

Get the first Witcher as well, it's cheap enough. Good storyline, but the game mechanics are like slamming your dick in a door over and over. It will make you appreciate 2 and 3 even more. Kudos if you are even able to finish Chapter 2 in the first game, that shows some real endurance. I ended up rage quitting and moving on to the 2nd game, but it was still worth it.
    Last edited by TGS; 01-23-2021 at 08:24 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Our first 'gaming' thing I can remember was a Radio Shack thing that played Pong, and maybe some other stuff. Later we got an Intellivision ( too po' for an Atari) and played it until we wore out the controllers. I haven't owned a console since.

I played D&D through high school. My first computer game was Wizardry V or VI, played on my Apple ][c. From there came Wolfenstein, on a 486sx.

My first MMO was Neverwinter Nights, on AOL, in 97(?). I started playing Dark Age of Camelot at release ( including standing in line at Gamestop for the midnight release) and played for a few years. I also played WoW for its first 4-5 years.

Played a bunch of Counter-Strike and TFC back in the day, I don't have the reflexes for it any more.

Right now my Steam library has 85 games in it, but what I spend the most time on is a stupid little addictive android game. There goes my gamer cred.

My consistent favorite since it was released is the Borderlands series. I love the art style and the humor. If I'm playing anything on the computer right now, it's Borderlands 3.

Playing first person shooters is kind of like dry practice, right?
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I was an early player of Magic the Gathering.
    Yeah, I started playing MTG in I think 1995 or so, and never really quit. Been missing playing in person since COVID hit. MTGO is pretty good, even better in some ways (consistent, perfect rules enforcement, can't wear out the cards, no need to shuffle, etc.), but there's something to be said for the social aspects of playing in person.

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Playing first person shooters is kind of like dry practice, right?
    Well, strategy-wise, I remember it seeming to translate pretty well to paintball the few times I had the opportunity to try that out, so maybe kinda sorta? Or you could just let it be fun for fun's sake.

User Tag List