Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: SIG Stops Production of .40 S&W Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Rex,

FYI I’ve had great results using a Bar-sto 40 to 9 conversion barrel in my .40 cal p229s with .40 cal mags. Mine has done OK with the 40 spring But some recommend swapping to the 9 mm spring as well, I think it depends on what type of 9 mm ammo you’re using.
    Thanks. Actually, I bought such a Bar-Sto 40-to-9 barrel, years ago, but have been unable to find it, since we cleaned-up after Hurricane Harvey. I looked where I thought that I had stored it, which would not have gotten wet, but it was not there. Maybe I will eventually find it, in some box or bag of gun stuff. It would be nice to convert my P229R DAK, permanently, to 9mm, with the Bar-Sto barrel, and with a 9mm extractor, especially if it would prove to reliably feed a good defensive load, such as my stash of G2 or Gold Dots.

I can still shoot .40 in my P229R DAK, in moderation, and, preferably, with an nicely heavy WML on the rail, and mostly with my still-healthy left hand. When I was wrecking my right hand, in the Eighties, with big-bore Magnums, I mostly fired the big guns with my right hand, and .38 Specials with my back-up/secondary Model 60, left-handed. I write lefty, and found it difficult to write reports, with that ancient artifact known as a pen, if I fired many big-bore Magnum rounds lefty. (Yes, that was a clue, that I missed, for too long. Not until about 1990 did I finally admit to myself that I have K/L/GP100/1911/P220-sized hands.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Not where I shop; typically Luckygunner dot com, Midway USA, and one LGS.

My .40 P229R DAK bashes and batters my arthritic right thumb, hand, and wrist, which prompted me to retire it in 2015, as soon as my chief OK’ed 9mm duty pistols, but, because long-stroke DA is my least-perishable triggering skill, I figured I would buy some fresh ammo for it. Well. Hmm. Wrong. I have exactly 13 rounds of my old .40 Gold Dots, that was properly stored in the box, in a clean, dry place. (I gave away the rest of my .40 ammo, after I phased-out shooting .40 S&W.)
    Some stock grips are hard on the right side thumb. There are alternatives that may feel better. Also, with some searching you could probably find a 9mm top end to use on the gun and if nothing else, Barsto can fit a 9mm conversion barrel.

Hope that might help make the gun better for you. If you need more grip info, feel free to send a PM.

I have it on good authority this is just for commercial SKUs, not government sales. LE and military can still get the.40s if they choose to. Probably a wise business decision with 9mm pistols being the big commercial seller (and im no fan of SIG). I know for a fact they have recently made 2000 P320s in .357 Sig for which there is no SKU.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    Some stock grips are hard on the right side thumb. There are alternatives that may feel better. Also, with some searching you could probably find a 9mm top end to use on the gun and if nothing else, Barsto can fit a 9mm conversion barrel.

Hope that might help make the gun better for you. If you need more grip info, feel free to send a PM.
    Thanks!

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Sig likely didn't decide to stop production of 40's last week....these things are planned at minimum months in advance....larger companies plan multiple years ahead.....
    Exactly. There was a thread from January of last year where Sig announced the dramatic downsizing of their product lines? Full size and subcompact 320’s in 40 and 45 were eliminated. I’m guessing that they sold more 45s than 40s so the 45s stuck around and the 40’s went away.

I’d bet good money that 40s will remain available for LE customers. With the P320s (or 226s) the frames are the same. Just run a whole bunch of complete 40 slides and slap them on when needed.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Just saw sone if on social media claiming SIG NH is just shut down completely for a couple weeks due to a cluster of positive ‘rona cases among employees. Supposedly per a Davidson’s rep.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Thanks. Actually, I bought such a Bar-Sto 40-to-9 barrel, years ago, but have been unable to find it, since we cleaned-up after Hurricane Harvey. I looked where I thought that I had stored it, which would not have gotten wet, but it was not there. Maybe I will eventually find it, in some box or bag of gun stuff. It would be nice to convert my P229R DAK, permanently, to 9mm, with the Bar-Sto barrel, and with a 9mm extractor, especially if it would prove to reliably feed a good defensive load, such as my stash of G2 or Gold Dots.

I can still shoot .40 in my P229R DAK, in moderation, and, preferably, with an nicely heavy WML on the rail, and mostly with my still-healthy left hand. When I was wrecking my right hand, in the Eighties, with big-bore Magnums, I mostly fired the big guns with my right hand, and .38 Specials with my back-up/secondary Model 60, left-handed. I write lefty, and found it difficult to write reports, with that ancient artifact known as a pen, if I fired many big-bore Magnum rounds lefty. (Yes, that was a clue, that I missed, for too long. Not until about 1990 did I finally admit to myself that I have K/L/GP100/1911/P220-sized hands.)
    Top Gun Supply carries the Barsto conversions. Jarvis, KKM and EFK all make conversion barrels for SIG as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Top Gun Supply carries the Barsto conversions. Jarvis, KKM and EFK all make conversion barrels for SIG as well.
    Thanks. Out-of-stock, at present, though. I bought my now-misplaced Bar-Sto barrel from TGS.

If I could find 357 ammo, I’d have already bought a SIG 357 barrel, but, unlike during previous ammo-buying panics, 357 SIG is rarer than .40 S&W.

Not to worry; I have plenty of revolving pistols.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
    Any reports on this one? I had a chance to buy some ranger one, but don't know much about it yet.
    https://www.bluesheepdog.com/2019/03...Specifications

9MM LUGER 147 GRAIN BONDED JACKETED HOLLOW POINT WINCHESTER RANGER ONE RA9B1 @ 1010 FPS 4" BARREL

PENETRATION EXPANSION RETAINED WEIGHT % RETAINED WEIGHT
    Bare Gelatin 13-inches 0.644 inches 99.1 144.99 grains
    Heavy Cloth 13.7-inches 0.577 inches 99.5 145.55 grains
    Wallboard 13.1-inches 0.607 inches 99.5 145.59 grains
    Plywood 16.6-inches 0.517 inches 99.5 145.59 grains
    Steel 17.5-inches 0.476 inches 99.4 145.49 grains
    Auto Glass 12.8-inches 0.476 inches 67.5 98.75 grains

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    Mods: If this comment is inappropriate/unwelcome, then please delete and accept my apology.
    Post is fine.

And a reminder of forum rules:

Under absolutely no circumstances should you ever: Post comments in support of criminal violence or other illegal activities, including illegal modifications of firearms.

https://pistol-forum.com/misc.php?do=showrules

I don't give two sideways shits what any given member elects to comply or not comply with. That's your risk to run. You do you but PF isn't the place for it. There are many long standing members who simply can't or won't risk being associated with it for professional reasons, and that predates today's current events.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List