Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG Stops Production of .40 S&W Pistols

SIG Stops Production of .40 S&W Pistols

Have we done this? https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/sig-...40-cal.403725/

Thank you for contacting Sig Sauer.

Due to the popularity of other calibers many of our current models in .40 have been discontinued and it remains to be seen if we will be resuming manufacturing in .40 again in the future.

Regards,
    SIG REP
    My guess is this reflects the market turn to 9x19. I assume .357 SIG is also being pulled from production. Of course, now that SIG is no longer making pistols for these cartridges, there will be a huge spike in demand for SIG pistols chambered in both cartridges.

And both will be back in a decade like 10mm....

You are probably right. 40 may make a bit of a comeback if there is a magazine limit of 10 rounds.

I personally like my 40 cal guns because I can use 9mm and 357 sig conversion barrels and shoot 3 calibers from the same gun so ammo adaptability is a plus.

Site Supporter
    No tears from me. My first pistol was a .40 and I'm glad I quickly switched to 9mm and I haven't shot a .40 in years. At 18 years old, .40 would cause my left wrist to lock up and hurt like hell after a couple mags. No idea why - I have no other problems with that wrist. Maybe I'm just a pussy.

Makes sense, considering the piles of police trade in 226s & 229s that filled the AIM & CDNN inventory for years and years.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    40 may make a bit of a comeback if there is a magazine limit of 10 rounds.
    You read my mind. I have been purchasing several 10 round .40 mags for my P2000 and P99 just in case we are faced with such restrictions in the near term. As a bonus to the 9mm P99 I recently picked up from a PF member, I snagged a complete P99 .40 slide, barrel, and recoil rod on eBay for $150.00. I fired it today and it worked perfectly. Another bonus is that .40 ammo is still available in some stores in the Seattle metro area.

While the market has certainly shifted, and I no longer own anything in .40, I have to say that the Sig P229 has to be the smoothest/easiest gun to shoot in .40 cal. Solid guns that were a joy to own. Shame that SIG quality has totally turned to dog shit.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    You are probably right. 40 may make a bit of a comeback if there is a magazine limit of 10 rounds.

I personally like my 40 cal guns because I can use 9mm and 357 sig conversion barrels and shoot 3 calibers from the same gun so ammo adaptability is a plus.
    To that note, do we think Sig is smart enough to bring back the P225 or P239 if we do indeed see the implementation of a magazine limit?

I’m gonna say probably maybe not.

229 .40

If only there were surplus .40 ammo to take advantage of the AIM Leo 229 I bought for $385 along with $12 mags. A potential hedge on .40 cal availability was my justification for getting one yet ammo stock no different from 9 for me. Surprised how compliant it is to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat6 View Post
    If only there were surplus .40 ammo to take advantage of the AIM Leo 229 I bought for $385 along with $12 mags. A potential hedge on .40 cal availability was my justification for getting one yet ammo stock no different from 9 for me. Surprised how compliant it is to shoot.
    I did the same thing, but also bought a good little pile of ammo at $11 a box.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I have a Glock 23 with spare .357 and 9x19 barrels and a VP40 upper with five magazines for my VP9. My original plan after Sandy Hook was to use .40 for practice should we have another shortage, but there is just no ammo in any caliber out there. Pretty soon my 9x23 1911 will be going into my holster. I have a few thousand loaded rounds for it, including 500 or so of the Silvertip factory round.

If the ammo supply does not get better, gun sales will fall through the floor as buyers will not buy guns that cannot be shot.

User Tag List