Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Having issues with holster bulging

Quote Originally Posted by Porter75 View Post
    Geez...this gets expensive.
    Just you wait buddy. Pretty soon, we'll have you decked out in all the finery.

When it comes to appendix carry - counterintuitively 'bigger is better' for concealment purposes. There is a fine line between having enough gun below the waistband into the inguinal crease that the muzzle portion of the holster can lever the gun in more tightly and that a wing/claw/junk pad can help twist the grip up and around; and having a small enough grip that you can conceal it. I've found that longer barreled guns conceal easier in AIWB holsters.

You might also need to change your pants or pants sizing and/or the stiffness of your belt and/or the tightness of your belt. The recommendation of, "Size your pants up a size for IWB carry." does not apply to AIWB. In addition the recommendation of, "Buy the stiffest belt you can buy." may also not apply (mileage varies).

Jeans, men's jeans in particular, are cut roomier in front of the hips than in the back (that might be for uhh...'obvious' reasons). As a result you may find that sizing down your jeans means you can wear your gun more easily and more comfortably with less bulging. The reason being that wearing loose pants/jeans means you're cinching the belt tighter, causing the holster to twist (particularly near the belt buckle). Which compounds your problems. You can experiment simply by putting the gun on and cinching your belt tighter and looser and watch how the holster twists in relation to this.

Belt stiffness can often be reduced with AIWB carry, because the gun is supported by the hip/crotch (literally) and less on the waistband. Reducing belt stiffness allows you to have more flexibility such that the holster moves with your body as opposed to staying rigidly in place.

Since you have a mid-size Glock already, I suggest you run, not walk, over and pick up either a JM Custom Kydex or a Dark Star Gear holster for it. And then try on every pair of pants and shorts you have until you figure out what size of pants works best along with adjusting and readjusting the tension of your belt.

___

Personally, I've found only two IWB positions work for me as a person. AIWB and 3:30 just past the peak of my hip. And in both cases, they really work best for me with longer barreled guns (because I have a flat ass, I need more barrel length to lever the gun butt in for better concealment).

Site Supporter
    I didn't see any wings on any of the CE holsters.... It's amazing how much improvement in concealment you get from the wing and a small pad to push the bottom of the holster away from your body (thus the top of the gun towards your body). Even a very well made holster will be much more easily concealed by adding these bits...

example here: https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB-WC2-5.html
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Having issues with holster bulging

Great advice so far. The only thing I have to add is: you can get maximum concealment by carrying the gun very low at the belt line. There’s a tradeoff with draw speed of course, but in a nonpermissive environment, a deep carry holster can be the best option. (I would carry at 3:30 with this type of holster because it’s easier to conceal a slow draw).

Tony at JM Custom can discuss options for you.

Also: the Bersa Thunder has the most felt recoil of any .380 I’ve shot. Very difficult trigger too. I’d way rather carry a .40 cal Glock.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I really appreciate everyone's input. As you can see, I’m new to the forum and CC. I ordered a belt from Foxx Holsters (1.5”) and holsters from Concealed Express. Both holsters are AIWB and the Bersa is tuckable.

Holsters for these guns are definitely limited for how I need to wear them. I wear jeans and some days I'm up and down a ladder working on security cameras and constantly around a lot of people all day. I expect printing to happen, so appendix won't be the ideal place on those days and my tool belt will help conceal. Regarding the belt, the buckle needs to be in front on certain days, so I could wear a more tactical belt than dressy when working on cameras.

I have a Glock 23, but rather have a smaller size and keep the 40 caliber as I have a small frame. In that respect, I’ll have to buy a another gun, holster(s), and new belt. Geez...this gets expensive.
    If you’re going to have to plan your concealment based on what you might be doing that day that seems sub-optimal since shit happens and problems need to be solved no matter what kind of day you dressed for in the morning. Having to mess with your gun or find a time and place to ditch a holster or change carry methods only increases the chance someone might find out you’re carrying.

Also, a “tuckable holster” that has clips or loops on, over or under your belt is only concealed from someone who is passing you in the dark on a street or in a dimly lit restaurant. Anyone who is around you for any amount of time will eventually notice them.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Not a gun, but relevant given AIWB carry. This morning I got out of bed to walk the dog. Per usual, I stashed my LCP in my coat pocket and then grabbed a blade - in this case a Shivworks El NiÑo. I have the sheath setup for appendix carry, with a Discreet Carry Concepts clip. As I put it on, I realized it wasn't sitting right. I ignored and walked the dog. When I was standing in the elevator, I could see that despite being a small knife it was bulging.

When I got back in, I started looking at the sheath and realized somewhere along the line I had fitted a different DCC clip, that results in the knife wearing about 1/3" higher in height. A swap back to a lower ride clip and the bulging issue disappeared. The sheath was too high and hitting my thigh instead of tucking low into my inguinal crease and concealing properly.

Long story short - to help with bulging you may need to adjust your holster height, where you mount it, belt tension, belt stiffness, and/or all of the above.

Here is a comparison of the clips. This difference is minuscule but the difference in concealment and comfort is enormous.

Name:  3BB6B18C-C8DB-4425-A416-5C4F7C34EEF0.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  A39CAC3F-F68F-4CC3-96CE-829E3E027FD7.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  46.9 KB

Site Supporter
    . Geez...this gets expensive.
    Think of it as a long term investment. It may be expensive today but once you realize it saves you buying all kinds of "cheaper" gear that does not work you'll save money over the years.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Is carrying at work ok with your employer? If not, then this is not the place to do your initial learning. Get some experience carrying outside the workplace first.

At work, you are spending 40-60 hours/week with the same people. They will notice things that someone you see for 1-2 hours on one occasion will not notice. The ladies in the workplace will notice much more than men realize, and if anything is out of place, they will gossip about it as they try to figure out why it is out of place. The risk of getting caught requires a much higher level of discretion than general carry.

Do you have a way to discreetly lock up the gun if you need to enter a place where the gun is illegal, and to discreetly get it back on your person when you return?

Where will you be standing or sitting and around who? What will be at eye level? When might you have to bend at the waist at the wrong time and reveal a bulge?

I will let those who carry AIWB advise on that mode of carry. I have tried over a half dozen tuckable IWB holsters, and none of them were remotely discreet. As soon as you tuck in the shirt, you destroy the bagginess that is needed to hide the gun. I wear a lot of sweaters and sweater vests in cool or cold weather, and a lot of untucked polo shirts in warm weather. When I want to tuck in my shirt and have nothing over that shirt, I switch to front pocket carry.

My favorite pocket holster is made by Aholster. The design does an excellent job of minimizing printing, holding the gun securely, and remaining in the pocket while you draw. I wrap the hook by the rear sight in molefoam to prevent poking a hole through my pocket.

My next choice is a DeSantis Superfly. The anti-print panel goes a long way towards breaking up the outline of the gun.

A perfect example of why I want to carry at work is we have a homeless shelter and last Friday night a guy pulled a butcher’s knife and a pair of scissors on the supervisor and tried to kill him.

I don’t believe my employer won't have a problem with me carrying. I’m around the same people pretty much all day and have a separate office. Sometimes I’m in an office while they are sitting and I’m standing at the door.
    My shirts have to be tucked in unless I’m wearing a sweater. We have security cameras and I'm work on those so I'm on a ladder from time to time. So reaching up will definitely be a problem. That’s when I’ll have to lock it up in my car and it sucks.

Tuckable holsters aren’t discreet at all, but that’s the only way I’ll be able to carry most of the time. Since I don’t know when I’ll be on a ladder pocket holsters won’t be ideal as I wear jeans everyday. I believe it’s going to be a real challenge to hide my Glock 23, Taurus 380 or my Bersa.

The best solution for your situation is pocket carry with your smaller TCP, in my opinion.

I would not be concerned with it printing while you are on a ladder. You are also unlikely to draw it and turn around and fire while standing on a ladder, so that isn't a concern (in my opinion). You can easily stand with your hands tucked slightly in your pocket with hand on the gun for an extremely fast draw in situations where it might be required, particularly with the open-top type pockets of jeans.

If possible, I would look to see if you can trade the TCP or Bersa for a Ruger LCP. The primary reason being the broad availability of holsters for the LCP.

User Tag List