Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: M&P9 Air Soft Pistol Training Alternatives

RFI: M&P9 Air Soft Pistol Training Alternatives

Looking for advice on air soft pistol and support gear manufacturers for blow back featured M&P9 clones.

Searching to continue training with similar gear as I currently run and since I know zero about about air soft and who to stay away from due to sub par quality. Use for FOF would be a win also.

This is to supplement live/dry fire.

Thanks for your advice and experience with manufacturers/brands and any retailers that you recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

This is an alternative to airsoft if you are using this for dryfire. It goes in your existing M&P.
    https://coolfiretrainer.com/

Paging @ranger

I'll second the coolfire trainer. It's good kit.

I just bought a Umarex G17.4 co2 gun to train with for GSSF. Working on scaling targets to simulate actual stage distances and spacing now. Seems that it'll work considering the ammo situation, I hate to use even my hand loads because of primer availability and prefer to utilize them for matches. I did have to pay $1 apiece to find 12 gram co2 cartridges and that blows. The panic has even hit airsoft evidently.

I bought a umarex Gen 4 Glock BB 4.5mm as soon as they came available in 2019. It was a real disappointment. The gun shot 4” low at 5yds and was no good for any practical shooting even at close range. The adjustment for hop up did nothing. I have heard similar complaints from other users. I traded it for one of those weird armscor .22 AR imitations and was happy with the trade.

I hope the 6mm airsoft version works better for you and I’m interested in your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I'll second the coolfire trainer. It's good kit.

I just bought a Umarex G17.4 co2 gun to train with for GSSF. Working on scaling targets to simulate actual stage distances and spacing now. Seems that it'll work considering the ammo situation, I hate to use even my hand loads because of primer availability and prefer to utilize them for matches. I did have to pay $1 apiece to find 12 gram co2 cartridges and that blows. The panic has even hit airsoft evidently.
    Dry fire targets

https://www.green-ops.com/green-ops-dry-fire-targets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

S&W has some options on their website. I'm considering the blowback airsoft pistol but from the description it uses CO2 cartridges and I would prefer a set up that uses propane adapters or green gas. I just don't want to deal with CO2 cartridges, in my previous experience green gas was cheaper and more convenient to use.
    https://store.smith-wesson.com/recreation/

The .43 caliber paintball gun looks pretty cool and has FoF potential.

Here's the Umarex green gas M&P but it's out of stock.
    https://www.umarexusa.com/sw-mp-9-gbb-6mm-black
    And same gun through Elite Force, also out of stock
    https://www.eliteforceairsoft.com/smith-wesson

I think the Umarex, Elite Force, and S&W listed gas blowback guns are all the same and made by the same manufacturer. I may get the 6mm gas blowback from S&W and try some green gas mags from Umarex or Elite because I "think" it's the same gun?

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    I bought a umarex Gen 4 Glock BB 4.5mm as soon as they came available in 2019. It was a real disappointment. The gun shot 4” low at 5yds and was no good for any practical shooting even at close range. The adjustment for hop up did nothing. I have heard similar complaints from other users. I traded it for one of those weird armscor .22 AR imitations and was happy with the trade.

I hope the 6mm airsoft version works better for you and I’m interested in your feedback.
    I bought the co2 version because they are a fair bit more powerful and give more recoil than the green gas guns which is what I was really wanting since they have a Gen 5 G17 offering.

I did have to turn down my hop up a fair bit as it was hitting very high, but overall I found that decent accuracy is measured in feet, not yards. At 15' it wasn't really usable as it was all over a 8.5" x 11" piece of copy paper. This is a full mag at 10'ish feet after messing with it a bit. I hope to be able to improve it to increase the range as it certainly has the power.

Name:  image0.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  15.3 KB

I don’t have any crazy accuracy standards but I have not been impressed with the 4.5mm BB version either. If I could hit a coke can at 5yds 100% of the time with POA=POI I’d be happy.

It’s too bad as I have some BB guns that are quite accurate. A non blowback G19 and a blowback Beretta 84 that I have are quite good and feel far more realistic then the Gen 4 G17.
    They also cost a heck of a lot less.

I pretty much gave up on the BB trainer idea and now run laser cartridges.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post

The 6mm version has a "hop up" kit installed that will allow you to adjust POI. I've never needed to mess with it, but it's there. Mine will hold an inch at 5yds if I do my part. It's minute-of-squirrel at 10yds (little effers won't stop digging up my landscaping). Maybe the 4.5mm version has that as well?

Chris

User Tag List