Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall Drill Realization, Weak Hand Steadier

Wall Drill Realization, Weak Hand Steadier

So I have been trying out the Wall Drill as outlined here and before I tell you my realization, I need to set this up. I am right-handed, but left-eye dominant. I am farsighted, and I use a 1.25-1.75 magnifier on my left eye and distance on the right.

1) Weak-hand only practice has revealed rock steady sighting. (I am working on triggering with no movement, but it is pretty good.);
    2) Strong-hand only practice has revealed less stability and more movement. Because I am Right-handed and left eye dominant I am holding the gun in a vertical with my left eye, which makes it a bit more awkward. Triggering is really good, so I don't see a lot of trigger-related movement.

A) Is this normal?
    B) Should I change anything?
    C) Is this inherent and accept it or practice getting it rock-steady.

Thanks,
    CC
    Last edited by cclaxton; 07-04-2012 at 06:46 AM.

I know that I am much steadier on the trigger shooting WHO. I am right handed, right eye dominant.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

Quote Originally Posted by jstyer View Post
    I know that I am much steadier on the trigger shooting WHO. I am right handed, right eye dominant.
    same here but im left handed, right eye dominant.

I'm in the same boat as you CC... except that I'm LH and left eye dominant.
    The only thing I can figure in my case is that, while LH dominant, I do a lot of things that require strength with my RH.

My current theory is that my RH grip strength is better, resulting in a steady sight picture, even while manipulating the trigger. Live fire is a little different, mainly in that my RH is not used to solo recoil control so my firing cadence must be relatively slow to maintain accuracy.

Question: Do you also notice the same thing if you switch hands during 2H drills?

I do. But, I haven't tried this for more than a magazine during live fire.

As far as changing things goes, I'm actually beginning to think about looking for a cheap RH holster for my P30L so I can get some draw reps in. If that works out I'll likely try using my RH as my "Other Strong Hand". Oooh... maybe I'll be a real cool dude and even be able to dual AIWB carry a set of P30Ls!!!
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Quote Originally Posted by Corlissimo View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you CC... "....."

As far as changing things goes, I'm actually beginning to think about looking for a cheap RH holster for my P30L so I can get some draw reps in. If that works out I'll likely try using my RH as my "Other Strong Hand". Oooh... maybe I'll be a real cool dude and even be able to dual AIWB carry a set of P30Ls!!!
    LMAO! I'd love to dual-wield out of AIWB. We could start a club and our acronym would be SNOB: Stick NO Balls .......and now you've got the joke
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

There is at least one trainer that does dual wield AIWB.
    #RESIST

Don't leave me hanging LL-send us a YouTube link or something!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    LMAO! I'd love to dual-wield out of AIWB. We could start a club and our acronym would be SNOB: Stick NO Balls .......and now you've got the joke
    Sorry for taking so long to reply... I JUST stopped laughing!!!

So, all jokes aside (and since I'm also in a similar situation), is there anything unusual about the OP's observations?
    Two questions come to my mind:

1. Should it be something that we try to train out, or away from?

Or...

2. Is it better to train to enhance this behavior, thus attempting to become even more ambidextrous?

I know I'm leaning heavily towards #2, but have some concerns since I am still working so much on my "real" strong hand.
    Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Sorry if I'm hijacking CC. Just trying to steer this back on the track I think you were trying to go down.

We are diminished
    There's nothing uncommon about this.

When you spend most of your time practicing 2H shooting (which I think is a perfectly valid approach), your SH trigger manipulation is likely to become more refined than your WH trigger manipulation. Conversely, your SH is used to having help holding the gun while your WH is not so it's reasonable to see better stability in your WH hold.

The more you practice SHO and WHO, the more they'll come into parity.

(it's also worth noting that some people do in fact find they have better trigger manipulation skill with the WH... they get used to having a 2H grip as a crutch against poor trigger manipulation when shooting 2H and develop less than perfect technique and/or bad habits which then show up when they switch to SHO shooting)

User Tag List