Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trijicon DI night sights

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Do you mean monovision glasses or monocular vision? (I have the latter, hence the question.) Either way, why would the hex recess be an issue? I'm just trying to understand that.
    With my monovision correction, I would see the hex plain as day. Combined with the fiber and top edge of sight, it would visually be a bit much, IMO.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Got it. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What rear sight do they come with — hopefully one that is more rounded than an HD.
    Seriously. The HD rear on my Clap CCO has several of my shirts looking like we have a moth problem.

Here's hoping they offer an option for a Novak dovetail.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    How different is this from the TRUEGLO TFO/TFX sights? I don't remember much about the TRUEGLOs, but I have a vague feeling that they weren't seen as being very good options for whatever reason.
    I have a Truglo front sight on my PX4. Obviously I have no experience with this new Trijicon sight.

It looks like the fiber optic is more exposed in the Trijicon sight. With the Truglo, when indoors, the fiber optic is very particular to its position in relation to where light is coming from. (When outdoors this has never been an issue as the available light is more diffuse.) The Truglo sight is also dimmer than a typical fiber optic sight (as the fiber optic is more protected in the sight than in most fiber optic sights) - although this has never been an issue for me, as the sight gathers enough light to be easily seen. In low light the tritium in the Truglo is dimmer than a typical tritium sight, probably because there's a fiber optic tube stuck in front of it. Still, it's bright enough to be seen, so it fulfills its purpose. I wonder if Trijicon has managed to make the tritium in their sight any brighter?

And obviously the Truglo has no user replaceable parts, it is what it is.

As for quality, I haven't been able to do much shooting during the last couple of years, especially compared to the typical ammo consumption of P-F members, but I haven't had any issues with mine.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Looks like the same HD sights for the rears.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    How different is this from the TRUEGLO TFO/TFX sights? I don't remember much about the TRUEGLOs, but I have a vague feeling that they weren't seen as being very good options for whatever reason.
    The original TRUGLOs had durability issues which the Newer ones (TFX ?) addressed.

The reason nobody else made anything like this was true glow had a patent, I’m wondering if that patent has expired or if these new sites somehow get around it. That patent was the reason the VTAC sites had the fiber optic stacked on top of tritium providing a six dot sight picture.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What rear sight do they come with — hopefully one that is more rounded than an HD.
    What ever came with all the feedback the forum gave to a Trijicon rep who worked on the original concept? Sharp spots look a little more melted but I can't tell for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bglimpse View Post
    Gentlemen, glad to see so many like the HD and sorry to hear they are tearing up clothing. When I originally worked on the concept for the HD, they were intended to be "hard duty" sights for officers and similiar roles. I use them on my carry guns, which are Sig's, and haven't noticed any issues. Reading through this thread has me thinking. If you guys want to, post up some photos showing where the hot spots are and I'll see if I can't change some things. I think I can break the edges more than they are currently are and create a more concealed carry friendly rear sight. I frequent this site and I always appreciate the honest feedback from the other members. Stay safe guys.

Bryan
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    What ever came with all the feedback the forum gave to a Trijicon rep who worked on the original concept? Sharp spots look a little more melted but I can't tell for sure.
    I find the rear sight that comes with the Trijicon fiber optic set to be very acceptable in terms of smoothness.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Got mine in from Midway. The package included two spare green fiber inserts and a torx key (why not include additional colors rather than replacements?). The fiber pieces are 2mm diameter (0.0785") and about 10.7mm long (0.42"), though only about 60% of the length is actually exposed. I noticed Trijicon advises against fiber pieces other than their own, saying theirs "are finished using a proprietary technique to maximize day and nighttime brightness". I did notice that the ends of the spare pieces are very clean and smooth, so maybe there's at least a little something to that (a clean cut may matter since you won't be melting the ends). The rear notch did not seem as sharp to me as HDs.

My initial impressions are that they work fine but may not really be better than other options. I do not find the fiber to be nearly as bright as a traditional fiber optic sight, either in full sun or indoor lighting, and while I want to spend some more time with them, I feel Ameriglo hi-viz sights may have an advantage in visibility overall. At night the DI sights seem basically equal to other tritium sights. You can see some variations in the dot when viewing off-axis (not straight down the tube), but not enough to be of concern.

I'll get some pics up in the next day or two once I can work up a decent setup for some comparison photos.

User Tag List