Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Frankford F10 progressive press

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Yeah, a 6th station would be nice in terms of letting me separate seat and crimp while still using both a bullet feeder and a powder check die, and it would be sweet to have primer pocket swaging built in and a primer feed system that was less (not?) susceptible to getting jammed up by loose flakes of powder and/or other debris. I wouldn't replace my existing LNL AP if Hornady came out with such a press, but I'd surely be jealous of people who bought them.
    The Hornady Pro-Jector used a swing arm that swung over and picked up a primer on the up stroke and then swung under the shell plate on the down stroke. The system itself would occasionally tip a primer sideways (or have a primer upside down if loaded into the tube that way) but it was visible to the user. It was easy to glance at the swing arm as it came away from the pickup and fix anything that needed fixing before the primer was under the shell plate. I would like to see Hornady return to something like this. Maybe not the swing arm but something that allows for verification of primer position before loading.

As for swaging; it would be a wonderful thing to add to the press but might require a 7th station since it would take a dedicated case hold-down rod of some sort. Could linkage be added to the press so that the swage operation takes place at the top of the stroke? Probably but I think this might be more mechanically complicated than it would be worth. Probably the best approach would be to make a press with a tool head that moves up and down not unlike the Dillon 1050/1100, FA FX-10 or the Mark 7. But at that point it would be a new press design and no longer a Lock N Load AP. Maybe that's the right answer. Leave the LNLAP alone and come out with a new professional grade machine.

Speaking of swaging; have you used the LNLAP swage kit? I have been pleased with it and am still waiting for a 9mm kit.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    It looks like they sell the case feeder and bullet feeder separate from the press.

https://www.natchezss.com/frankford-...0-station.html
    Press is $650

https://www.natchezss.com/frankford-...ive-press.html
    Case feeder is $200

https://www.natchezss.com/frankford-...ive-press.html
    Bullet feeder is $380

That's $1230 for a 10 station with case/bullet feeders vs. a $2100 1050 with 7 stations and no bullet feeder.

I know, you get what you pay for. But man.....that is very, very intriguing for the price, flexibility, and the ability to have a lockout die with separate seat/crimp stations. I figure if I can get lee systems to be reliable and accurate, I can probably do the same with this thing.
    Hot damn, very intriguing.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Speaking of swaging; have you used the LNLAP swage kit? I have been pleased with it and am still waiting for a 9mm kit.
    I was not previously aware that it was a thing. Interesting concept, especially if you have to process a lot of crimped brass. Too bad it's sort of "upside-down" and thus can't be used with a normal size/deprime step as part of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I was not previously aware that it was a thing. Interesting concept, especially if you have to process a lot of crimped brass. Too bad it's sort of "upside-down" and thus can't be used with a normal size/deprime step as part of the process.
    Yeah the press has to be converted completely into a swage machine. But the conversion only takes a few minutes and it is easy to swap back and forth between swaging and loading.

Ideally a person would have the budget (and bench space) to buy a 2nd press just for swaging. Hornady could sell the LNL frame minus the powder and primer systems with the swage kits as its own product,

The other thing Hornady needs to do is make a shall plate for the Dillon 550 and 650 so those presses could be used for swaging.

Anyway, the swage process itself goes pretty well once a rhythm is developed.

#RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That’s actually a really sharp and well thought out press. I’ll be looking at it really hard end of 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Been hoping for a Gavin Ultimate Reloader video. I assume he will be doing something soon.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That's a lot of press for that price! The built in swaging got me. I never set up my Dillon for 5.56 because I was too lazy to deprime and deal with the primer pockets. Guess I'm working some overtime for a little bit.

Hope they are making a bunch of them. As someone who has just started a budget for a 1050 with all the goodies, this has me very interested. I would actually be willing to be a guinea pig on this one.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Anyway, the swage process itself goes pretty well once a rhythm is developed.
    Yeah, it looks like it'd be smooth enough, but I think I'd probably choose to arrange the dies slightly differently around the press, basically rotating every die two stations clockwise from where they are in all of the videos I've seen. That way it would be easier to just keep your right hand on the handle 100% of the time and smoothly drop in unswaged brass/pick out swaged brass with your left hand, vs that seemingly being a bit awkward with the input/output dies front and center. Unless there's some reason you couldn't do that...? Might be a case of not knowing what I don't know due to not having worked with the setup in person.

User Tag List