Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frankford F10 progressive press

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Yeah, it looks like it'd be smooth enough, but I think I'd probably choose to arrange the dies slightly differently around the press, basically rotating every die two stations clockwise from where they are in all of the videos I've seen. That way it would be easier to just keep your right hand on the handle 100% of the time and smoothly drop in unswaged brass/pick out swaged brass with your left hand, vs that seemingly being a bit awkward with the input/output dies front and center. Unless there's some reason you couldn't do that...? Might be a case of not knowing what I don't know due to not having worked with the setup in person.
    Only one die of the three does any work. One die is bored through. This is the "feed" die and aligns the case with a rod on the shell plate. The next die is the swage die and has a spring in it to push the swaged case off the swage button. The last die is the "extract" die. It has some plastic fingers in it that lift the case off the rod and hold it so it can be manually plucked off the press.

The hardest part is getting used to working with the press and doing the work with the shell plate at the top of the stroke instead of at the bottom of the stroke. Die location in the tool head shouldn't really matter since it isn't much of a reach to drop a case into the feed die and take one out of the extract die.

Something you may have seen on YouTube or whatever is putting a hose or tube on the extract die. The other thing I've seen is cutting a hole in a bucket and putting this over the eject die. As cases go through the press they simply fall into the bucket. Either method appears to work although I've not messed with either one.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Something you may have seen on YouTube or whatever is putting a hose or tube on the extract die. The other thing I've seen is cutting a hole in a bucket and putting this over the eject die. As cases go through the press they simply fall into the bucket. Either method appears to work although I've not messed with either one.
    The tube method seems like it would work out fairly well. I haven't really delved too deeply into it because I don't currently have any rifles to load for, so it's more of a curiosity/thought experiment thing for me for now. The 9mm version you mentioned earlier seems potentially interesting, but probably less than 10% of the 9mm brass I work with is crimped, so I'd be reluctant to purchase that based on the idea that it might not get much use. I guess the plan would be that any time I see a military headstamp, that brass would be set aside, and then saved up for when there would be enough of it to justify setting up the swager version of the press.

Ultimately, a Dillon 1050 or the subject of this thread seems like a much slicker solution, but for those of us who have Hornady LNL APs already and a bunch of military brass, I can definitely see the appeal vs buying a whole new press.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    The tube method seems like it would work out fairly well. I haven't really delved too deeply into it because I don't currently have any rifles to load for, so it's more of a curiosity/thought experiment thing for me for now. The 9mm version you mentioned earlier seems potentially interesting, but probably less than 10% of the 9mm brass I work with is crimped, so I'd be reluctant to purchase that based on the idea that it might not get much use. I guess the plan would be that any time I see a military headstamp, that brass would be set aside, and then saved up for when there would be enough of it to justify setting up the swager version of the press.

Ultimately, a Dillon 1050 or the subject of this thread seems like a much slicker solution, but for those of us who have Hornady LNL APs already and a bunch of military brass, I can definitely see the appeal vs buying a whole new press.
    The Dillon is really overkill unless a person has an unlimited supply of once fired brass. Once the brass is swaged it is over and done with.

The Dillon is really overkill unless a person has an unlimited supply of once fired brass. Once the brass is swaged it is over and done with.
    Hence the brilliance of the Lee App.
    #RESIST

True enough. My typical supply of brass is whatever I pick up after matches, so I end up with a fairly random selection of headstamps, number of times fired, etc. The Dillon would be a nice way to just never worry about it, but I'm definitely not doing anywhere near enough volume to justify the purchase price. (Currently I cut out crimps with a hand tool when I find them.)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Hence the brilliance of the Lee App.
    If I didn't have the LNL system I'd have the Lee APP. I've come close to buying one anyway since Hornady doesn't offer a swage kit for pistol.

I guess nobody at Hornady has seen crimped 9mm.....

Maybe the wrong thread but this has me thinking. If I wanna upgrade to a progressive should I just get a Dillon and be done with it or has someone surpassed them?

Only really loading 9mm and want a fully progressive with bullet and case feeder.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

The machine looks interesting, but a year to see if it really works.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Maybe the wrong thread but this has me thinking. If I wanna upgrade to a progressive should I just get a Dillon and be done with it or has someone surpassed them?

Only really loading 9mm and want a fully progressive with bullet and case feeder.
    The two "easy button" answers for this question are Dillon 650/750 and Hornady LNL AP. The Dillon options are generally regarded as being better, but both systems have advantages, and I've been happy with my Hornady. Fully outfitted with case and bullet feeders, either will run you about $1K, not counting components or any other tools you may need. (Chronograph, scale, small tools, etc.) YMMV, of course, and I sincerely doubt you'd have any major regrets about just buying a Dillon and using it.

In the case of either machine, if you don't want to drop $1K in one shot, the case and bullet feeders are add-ons anyway, and you can definitely start without one or both of them to save money short term.

If I didn't have the LNL system I'd have the Lee APP. I've come close to buying one anyway since Hornady doesn't offer a swage kit for pistol.

I guess nobody at Hornady has seen crimped 9mm.....

I’ve been seeing a lot more crimped 9mm, maddening.
    #RESIST

User Tag List