Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Laugo Arms Alien Pistol...

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Very cool gun. Does it heat up like a P7?
    Looks like it’s worse. Just over 90°C or 194 F inside the trigger guard after a 50 round mag dump.

Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    Looks like it’s worse. Just over 90°C or 194 F inside the trigger guard after a 50 round mag dump.
    To be fair, it got down to 63C (around 145F) within 30 seconds. That's still really hot, but i doubt you would accidentally burn yourself. Would definitely like to hear more on how much of an issue this in a real world high volume practice session on a hot day.

If this thing heats up like a P7, it would be a no-go for me. I couldn't go for more than a box of rapid fire without having to put gloves on.
    @JCN: shoot 10 bill drills back to back and let us know, eh?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    If this thing heats up like a P7, it would be a no-go for me. I couldn't go for more than a box of rapid fire without having to put gloves on.
    @JCN: shoot 10 bill drills back to back and let us know, eh?
    Sure if you pay for the ammo!

Honestly, if it wound up being a heating issue I’d do like I do for suppressors (or any of my thin barrel rifles) and just have some water as a heat sink.

For matches with 30 rounds of shooting and then 30 min of waiting... I don’t see this being a real issue.

There is a European shooter on PSTG who has been shooting one of these in IPSC for a while now and reportedly it's not a big deal. He has a cheap battery powered fan he uses when he wants to have a high round count training session.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    There is a European shooter on PSTG who has been shooting one of these in IPSC for a while now and reportedly it's not a big deal. He has a cheap battery powered fan he uses when he wants to have a high round count training session.
    Thnx. I don't keep the subscription over winter months, it is usually very stagnant there. Gonna be keeping an eye on this still. I am sure not an issue for the matches but practice is where things get hot. This summer I was getting my Shadows hot enough to feel it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Thnx. I don't keep the subscription over winter months, it is usually very stagnant there. Gonna be keeping an eye on this still. I am sure not an issue for the matches but practice is where things get hot. This summer I was getting my Shadows hot enough to feel it a bit.
    I'm sure it depends on the powder somewhat too. Shooting a lot of Doubles with ammo loaded with Titegroup can get my P320 slide too hot to touch sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    I'm sure it depends on the powder somewhat too. Shooting a lot of Doubles with ammo loaded with Titegroup can get my P320 slide too hot to touch sometimes.
    I am not versed in powders at all; my experience has been that this was all about pace and rate of fire. I am probably more attuned to this subject than most because P7M8 was my first handgun. Based on my memories of it, I would probably need four to support the type of practice sessions I did this last summer with one Shadow.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    That’s an amazing looking piece. Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post

Thanks to the OP and to you for posting that video. What an interesting and innovative firearm, and the Vickers video really does it justice as far as explaining it.

I hope you really get along with it.

The heat thing seems like it would be able to be reduced with various thermal coatings or a thermal barrier between the chamber area and the frame. These work pretty significantly in the automotive world. I am a little surprised if it is as significant as the P7 as it is the barrel closest to the trigger area rather than the gas block chamber but then itmay be about the same. The Walther CCP which uses the same gas block/barrel layout as the P7 except a polymer frame doesn't seem to have many complaints about temps getting too hot. I wonder how much is transfer from metal to metal vs metal to polymer?

To the OP thanks for sharing your experience with an awesome pistol. I'm always excited to see companies and designers try new things in the gun world.

User Tag List