Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Laugo Arms Alien Pistol...

Thanks everyone

Yes I’m really looking forward to getting it to the range. I own several P7 Series pistols and the heat never bothered me.

Site Supporter
    Got to shoot about 50 rounds through one of the 1/500 special edition guns yesterday. Gun had the Romeo 3Max type optic which came in the kit. 100 rounds fired total, 50 Remington brown box 115 FMJ and 50 Speer Lawman 115 FMJ +P. No mag dumps but I did run a few 10 yard Bill drills.

The good - awesome trigger pull and the flattest shooting gun I’ve ever shot with a dot.

The bad - the gun had two failures to feed with the Lawman +P and the screw holding the mag well in place came loose under recoil. While not as noticeable or unpleasant as with a P7, the gun did heat up noticeably above the trigger guard after just 100 rounds at a moderate pace. Nothing that would be an issue on a USPSA stage but could be in a class or extended practice session.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-04-2021 at 03:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Got to shoot about 50 rounds through one of the 1/500 special edition guns yesterday. Gun had the Romeo 3Max type optic which came in the kit. 100 rounds fired total, 50 Remington brown box 115 FMJ and 50 Speer Lawman 115 FMJ +P. No mag dumps but I did run a few 10 yard Bill drills.

The good - awesome trigger pull and the flattest shooting gun I’ve ever shot with a dot.

The bad - the gun had two failures to feed with the Lawman +P and the screw holding the mag well in place came loose under recoil. While not as noticeable or unpleasant as with a P7, the gun did heat up noticeably above the trigger guard after just 100 rounds at a moderate pace. Nothing that would be an issue on a USPSA stage but could be in a class or extended practice session.
    With current ammo supply and prices they could market that as a feature not a bug.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    With current ammo supply and prices they could market that as a feature not a bug.
    Very good, funny yet true.
    I used to shoot with some guys who loved the P7. Matches were no problem but classes? Their solution was two or more P7's on hand...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The bad - the gun had two failures to feed with the Lawman +P
    Could you add the info which "Lawman +P" exactly? Of course 9 mm, but which bullet weight and bullet kind?

(I'm considering to buy one. But besides the money, it's a quite big legal process where I live. I understand it's a competition pistol. But it's also important to me that a pistol is reliable.)

PS:
    This is what one of the best German IPSC shooters answered when asked about the pistol's ammo sensitivity according to Larry Vickers' video:

forum.waffen-online.de/topic/463429-laugo-arms-alien:
    Dazu habe ich nicht wirklich Erfahrungen. Ich nutze bisher ausschließlich Roundnose Geschosse. Damit läuft die Waffe störungsfrei.

Die beste Präzision und das beste Rückstoßverhalten habe ich subjektiv mit S&B 115gr.
    My humble translation:
    I don't really have experience with that. So far, I have only used round nose bullets. The weapon has no malfunction with them.

The best precision and the best recoil behavior I have subjectively with S&B 115gr.
    Last edited by P30; 04-08-2021 at 08:57 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    Could you add the info which "Lawman +P" exactly? Of course 9 mm, but which bullet weight and bullet kind?

(I'm considering to buy one. But besides the money, it's a quite big legal process where I live. I understand it's a competition pistol. But it's also important to me that a pistol is reliable.)

PS:
    This is what one of the best German IPSC shooters answered when asked about the pistol's ammo sensitivity according to Larry Vickers' video:

forum.waffen-online.de/topic/463429-laugo-arms-alien:

My humble translation:
    It was specified in the first paragraph of my post:

“100 rounds fired total, 50 Remington brown box 115 FMJ and 50 Speer Lawman 115 FMJ +P. ”

The lawman load was 115 grain full metal jacket (round nose) +P

The Remington brown box was 115 grain standard velocity FMJ (round nose).

I may get hate for this. My biggest wish for the Alien pistol is that this very expensive proof of concept spawns a polymer framed pistol with the same concepts that is in the price realm of the other striker fired duty guns. It will take a design change this extreme to get me away from Glock. It doesn't matter how much they tweak the standard striker fired gun mold, nothing competes with the system I have built around Glocks. The Walther PDP has come the closest, but it is still not enough to make me reinvest in everything around it. It's not just holsters and magazines, it's also things like 3d printed inert barrels, the dryfire mag, etc.

I got to shoot one of these (owned by a friend) over the weekend. It’s an impressive pistol to be sure. The machining, fit/finish and tolerances seem to be of a very high standard. The interchangeable top straps install and interchange without any play. We were able to switch between his RDS and iron sights without noticeable zero shift. The pistol was very accurate with WWB, 124gr +P, and my 147gr coated USPSA reloads. Ergonomically it was very interesting and remindedme of like a Walther .22 target pistol. The grip angle feels more Glock than 1911. The grip itself has nice grippy texture with an angle for the palm of the support hand to get purchase. Kind of reminded me of a Shadow 2 but with more angle. The contour supports a high grip and feels about as wide as a 92FS or Shadow 2.

The trigger is light and a short travel/reset that I’d estimate at about 2mm/4.5 lbs. It resets at the same point that it breaks which I personally prefer, and has a minimal reset pressure. I was able to slap it very quickly for close targets and use a “ride the link” style press for 10m targets pretty effectively. For more precise slow fire shots I noticed a bit of roll to the trigger that was very smooth without notchiness or drag. It reminded me of my P320 X-five in that way.

Recoil impulse was interesting. It’s straight back, sharp, light, and very fast. The slide cycles so fast that it’s hard to see it move watching someone else shoot. It’s noticeable lighter than my Glocks and P320. Overall it’s very controllable and easy to track the sights. I’m generally not sensitive to bore as but shooting my X-five Legion back to back with the Laugo really highlighted the high bore axis of the SIG. additionally, my Legion has the tungsten guide rod, legion frame, and tungsten grip weight It’s as heavy as I can make it. Even with all that weight the Laugo recoil was more controllable on fast splits even though it’s a lighter pistol.

The Lago ran well with the owner and myself blasting away. We had one failure to go into battery early on but the gun was bone dry. After adding lube it ran like a top for about 300 rounds. I’m not a big proponent of break in periods but it’s worth noting the one stoppage was within the first 100 rounds on a brand new gun without lube. Ejection was very consistent. Overall I would expect good reliability from this gun. I didn’t notice heat being a problem

Overall I was really impressed by the Alien. It’s a compelling design. If they can produce enough, bring costs down, and maintain quality and support Laugo will really have something.
    Last edited by Super77; 04-08-2021 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    I may get hate for this. My biggest wish for the Alien pistol is that this very expensive proof of concept spawns a polymer framed pistol with the same concepts that is in the price realm of the other striker fired duty guns.
    You won't. I had said that when it just appeared on the horizon, didn't get any hate. It is nothing but proof of concept now, between competition rules that negate its most attractive feature and its price. In the US nobody has a reason to use it in optics divisions, it may or may not get on a Production list but that division is dying off, and it is priced at a non-competitive level for any 9 mm shooting discipline. I was hoping that its inventors patent its features and sell patents / right to major gun makers who could implement them on a service pistol lineup. I don't see a particularly bright future for it otherwise.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    You won't. I had said that when it just appeared on the horizon, didn't get any hate. It is nothing but proof of concept now, between competition rules that negate its most attractive feature and its price. In the US nobody has a reason to use it in optics divisions, it may or may not get on a Production list but that division is dying off, and it is priced at a non-competitive level for any 9 mm shooting discipline. I was hoping that its inventors patent its features and sell patents / right to major gun makers who could implement them on a service pistol lineup. I don't see a particularly bright future for it otherwise.
    There are a couple people working on 170mm mag extensions.
    If they’re reliable, I would totally goof off in Open with that gun like higher cap CO.

There’s already a DAA Alpha-X insert so holsters are covered already.

If I ever make paper GM in CO and / or Revolver, then I am totally jumping the shark.

User Tag List