Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Laugo Arms Alien Pistol...

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    There are a couple people working on 170mm mag extensions.
    If they’re reliable, I would totally goof off in Open with that gun like higher cap CO.

You gonna load it with a 9 mm Major? I am all for goofing off, otherwise I wouldn't be shooting Single Stack, but at least I get a major pf benefit out of it. Doubt there is much hope for a wider adoption if they have to compete handicapped.
    Methinks it would've had a better chance in the US if it came chambered in .40.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    You gonna load it with a 9 mm Major? I am all for goofing off, otherwise I wouldn't be shooting Single Stack, but at least I get a major pf benefit out of it. Doubt there is much hope for a wider adoption if they have to compete handicapped.
    I think in Europe, some people are campaigning it successfully with a compensator and 9 major.

For me, I just don’t like reloading so would love 30+ rounds of minor in a fun to shoot gun.

The whole competitive / not competitive thing is overrated, IMO.

Max Michel beat Open with a CO gun at Area 6. The same competition that Production beat PCC...

I’d mentally just look to beat CO with my BBQ gun and have fun with friends.

Not really sure about that. I think the vast majority of people buying them are not competitive shooters. Outside the circuit, nobody really wants 40S&W in a high end pistol. Im just speaking from the collectors market, which I believe most of the Aliens went to.

Quote Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
    Not really sure about that. I think the vast majority of people buying them are not competitive shooters.
    Would that not be because it is not competitive, for one reason or another, in competition circles? Cost and inability to use the rail for optic, outside of goofing off in Open, makes unattractive it to CO and Production people. 40SW option would've made it attractive to a larger than only collectors group of people that don't mind dropping 5k for an ounce of performance advantage.

Would that not be because it is not competitive, for one reason or another, in competition circles? Cost and inability to use the rail for optic, outside of goofing off in Open, makes unattractive it to CO and Production people. 40SW option would've made it attractive to a larger than only collectors group of people that don't mind dropping 5k for an ounce of performance advantage.
    If you’re talking an option of 40, I certainly agree. Only being chambered in 40 would have majorly hurt its appeal to those willing to put down the money. I also feel most those paying five figures for them on GB won’t be subjecting them to much competition.

When and if the gun is imported again without the extras, it should be it a little more affordable. I’m hearing somewhere around $4000-$4250.

That would be a reasonable price to a match shooter if he thought it would be the best available Production gun. (It is IPSC Production but not USPSA.)

Speaking of which, Bac, I know you are not a competition shooter but you know enough of us you should have informed opinions...
    What Gun On The Rug do you think is the most effective for action shooting, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    That would be a reasonable price to a match shooter if he thought it would be the best available Production gun. (It is IPSC Production but not USPSA.)
    Jim, I am not following: how would 4 grand be a reasonable price for a Production gun, whether IPSC or USPSA, when Shadows and Tanfos are 25%-50% of that?
    @bac1023: I agree, the 40 option and 9 option would have the best appeal to gamers and collectors.

Jim, I am not following: how would 4 grand be a reasonable price for a Production gun, whether IPSC or USPSA, when Shadows and Tanfos are 25%-50% of that?
    @bac1023: I agree, the 40 option and 9 option would have the best appeal to gamers and collectors.
    Although most serious Shadow owners have 2 or 3 or 4 copies... if there was a clear advantage then I could see someone forgoing 4 Shadows to get one Alien.

I think most Open shooters are shooting 9 major, no? For capacity reasons.

I think 9 major would be just fine as long as there are suitable extensions.

Personally, my Alien is just sitting in the box until 170mm extensions are available.

And even then, there are CO guys beating my ass with polymer guns so I can't really blame my Shadow....

The Alien is super fun to shoot, though. It feels great.

Even though I'd rather race Porsches than Ferraris due to availability, cost and aftermarket support...

Having / driving a Ferrari for fun doesn't sound like it would suck.

To quote a usually reliable source (Me!) ...if he thought it would be the best available Production gun.

Yes, I know the CZ mutants currently rule Production. Maybe because you can't buy a series production Alien.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

There's another way to look at the 4 grand price point for a production gun IMO...

Are guys willing to pay limited gun prices to shoot what they perceive to be pretty much a limited gun in production? There's already people pushing to have 2011 frames in production and already production shooters looking to build as close to a limited gun as they can get away with.

Limited seems pretty popular still and the price points of an Atlas don't seem to keep them out of that division. I'm not so sure that there aren't a growing bunch of production shooters willing to play at the limited price point but in the production division.

Average price point of production guns seems to be moving higher in general, I'm not sure that Shadow 2 prices represent the ceiling of what some of the division is willing to pay.

Then there's always the creative rationalization math that says if you're paying 5K a year in consumables to reload and shoot 50K rounds per year the cost of the pistol is a lot less significant than the 20K you're going to spend feeding it over the next 4-5 years.

I'm one of the poors though, I'm just conjecturing. But there seems to be a sizable chunk of USPSA competitors that are relatively price agnostic about their gear. I'm not so sure how high the ceiling is.