Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: We need more light reading: 2021 gun wish list

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Several of my neighbors and I have this fantasy about incorporating our own town here in the rural road we live on, establishing our own police dept., etc. Of course every officer picks their own sidearm, but the issue side arm for all officers and auxilliary's will be a Glock 18, and each patrol car will feature a full auto M16 and full auto MP5 in the rack. City will get ahead of many other ammo buyers by being a certified LE agency, weekly practice will be mandated for all full time and auxilliary officers. Maybe we elect Lost River as sheriff in that ID place and he deputizes us all?

So funny thing about that...

When I came out of the desert, without going into a bunch of details, some folks (a major lobbyist group in my state, and other states) thought I would be a good fit for public office (such as Sheriff). They sponsored me to "Campaign School". It was extremely interesting, on many levels. The people who attended, the strategies it took to win, etc. One thing that I found pretty funny was the very vast majority of the people attending thought that all they had to do was simply sit there for the week and not pay attention.

It was very much a room full of narcissists. However the guy that had been flown in to teach the class laid a few things out at the beginning. He was not there to be our friends. We needed to pay close attention to what we were being taught, as we were expected to know the material he presented. We may not like his methods, but if we followed his formula exactly as he taught it, right down to what side of the road to place signs, color and height, times, dates, etc, we had a 90 something % chance of being successful. He also said that there would be a test at the end of the week. Out of about 15 people attending, only myself and one other guy were literally taking notes and paying attention. The rest were so self absorbed it was stunning.

When the time came for the test, the vast majority were pissed that they were not given the answers and nobody was kissing their ass. You could see that they were the type that had been handed everything their entire lives and this was to be no different. The guy was brutal with them. It was funny.

While I passed the school with ease, since I actually paid attention, I was so disgusted with the whole process, and the levels people were willing to go to get elected (even as a Sheriff) that I decided that I would stay in the shadows. I appreciated that I was thought of for public office, but I did not have the stomach for what some people were willing to do.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    So funny thing about that...

When I came out of the desert, without going into a bunch of details, some folks (a major lobbyist group in my state, and other states) thought I would be a good fit for public office (such as Sheriff). They sponsored me to "Campaign School". It was extremely interesting, on many levels. The people who attended, the strategies it took to win, etc. One thing that I found pretty funny was the very vast majority of the people attending thought that all they had to do was simply sit there for the week and not pay attention.

It was very much a room full of narcissists. However the guy that had been flown in to teach the class laid a few things out at the beginning. He was not there to be our friends. We needed to pay close attention to what we were being taught, as we were expected to know the material he presented. We may not like his methods, but if we followed his formula exactly as he taught it, right down to what side of the road to place signs, color and height, times, dates, etc, we had a 90 something % chance of being successful. He also said that there would be a test at the end of the week. Out of about 15 people attending, only myself and one other guy were literally taking notes and paying attention. The rest were so self absorbed it was stunning.

When the time came for the test, the vast majority were pissed that they were not given the answers and nobody was kissing their ass. You could see that they were the type that had been handed everything their entire lives and this was to be no different. The guy was brutal with them. It was funny.

While I passed the school with ease, since I actually paid attention, I was so disgusted with the whole process, and the levels people were willing to go to get elected (even as a Sheriff) that I decided that I would stay in the shadows. I appreciated that I was thought of for public office, but I did not have the stomach for what some people were willing to do.
    This is the whole problem with politics. Hardly anyone with the integrity that you want see in an elected official will run for office. (With some exceptions of course, like LL’s uncle)

If that 1950's Winchester 94 .30-30 doesn't sell by the time I get my tax return, I might have to buy it.

Future gun purchases that I keep thinking about but don't have any sort of a schedule for include:

- An FN MkIII High-Power, because I have an Argentinian copy but would like to own a less janky, original FN one as well.
    - A S&W .22 revolver, because revolvers by gods and inexpensive trigger control training.
    - A .22 AR-type rifle of some sort, one that could be suppressed and had controls that worked like an AR. For low noise, low expense training and because neat.
    - An unmolested, Russian issue Winchester M1895, for "classic rifle shooting" (sorry, not going to look up the actual translation for the name of the sport). (This one is a little bit out there, as I know of one that is for sale for a bit over $2k. A wee bit over my budget...)
    - Related to that last one, while I dislike Mosin's, an American made Russian issued one might be amusing.
    - I need to buy another safe for all these dream guns, dammit...

Honestly though, I could easily spend several guns worth of money just on uprades to my AR-15 alone, not to mention the holsters, reloading gear and such that I should get. And ammo, let's forget ammo. Not to mention all the things that should be done around the house. Not really planning on buying more guns for a couple of years, unless something turns up that can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you're going to flee the US - go someplace with better (or at least similar) gunlaws and a similar Freedom Index - https://www.cato.org/human-freedom-index-new

Uruguay
    Estonia
    Czech Republic

Switzerland is a bit freer, but the gunlaws are more restrictive than here and citizenship is more difficult to attain.

Uruguay and Estonia top my list if I were to decide to leave the United States for some reason. My colleagues in Canada seem to enjoy a nice life, but it's clear gun ownership is under attack there, sorry @Maple Syrup Actual (how often does an American apologize to a Canadian?).
    Just a few notes on Estonia (as much as I do like the people there):

- The place is tiny.
    - All guns need a permit.
    - All gun permits are only valid for 5 years at a time.
    - Carry permits are only available for citizens.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

User Tag List