Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long(ish) range .22 shooting expectations?

Site Supporter
    Tikka T1x in a KRG bravo stock, and a Riton 6-24 scope (adjustable parallax is a freaking requirement man), and it's not a challenge to hold a 2 inch group at 100 yards with bulk ammo of practically any sort. 1.2 inches with some nicer ammo, but still not match grade stuff. That should work out to under a 5 inch group at 200 with bulk ammo, if I call the wind right. That's also the whole point of shooting that cartridge at distance, for me.

I regularly shoot 22lr at 200 yards. It’s a blast. Beyond 200 yards it’s just frustrating. I run a leupold 4x rimfire optic on a cz 452 or a Ruger American rimfire. As noted above the choice of ammo will determine results. Supersonic ammo is inconsistent but still fun.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

And unless I get ahold of myself, I might be adding a BSA 12/15 with a Freeland stock and forearm to the safe. The downside is I’ll have to d&t it for modern mounts because I don’t want to go down the vintage scope trail.
    We've got some local guys running peep sights on old rifles out to 200 yards and beyond. They're having fun.

Site Supporter
    From the way less sophisticated side of things here. A dozen clay pigeons on the hundred yard berm and a stock marlin .22 semi auto with a cheap 4x scope was loads of fun and not hard to get hits on when I was a teenager. Eventually the pieces get smaller than the beaten zone so you might make a couple three trigger pulls before you get a hit. 12 ga shotgun shells didn’t last very long at that distance either. This was shooting mainly bulk ammo.

Shoot what you have and buy more shit when you identify what your current set up can’t do that you want to do.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Tikka T1x in a KRG bravo stock, and a Riton 6-24 scope (adjustable parallax is a freaking requirement man)
    How do you like that Riton? They popped up when I was searching for a compact scope but I'd never heard of them and kept looking.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    We've got some local guys running peep sights on old rifles out to 200 yards and beyond. They're having fun.
    If this one came with the peeps I'd give it a go but I like seeing what I'm shooting at so a scope is in it's future regardless. I had an epiphany this afternoon. EGW sells undrilled sections of pic rail up to 24" long. It's already set up for some kind of long scope so all I should need to do is get the distances and spacing and have the EGW rail drilled to match. Then I can use a modern scope and mounts without adding new holes and if I ever come in to stupid amounts of disposable income, I'll go down the vintage scope trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    From the way less sophisticated side of things here. A dozen clay pigeons on the hundred yard berm and a stock marlin .22 semi auto with a cheap 4x scope was loads of fun and not hard to get hits on when I was a teenager.
    That's a good idea and IIRC the 100 yard range at the club has a 10" or 12" plate for more reactive fun.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Bi-pod, rear bag or front rest with rear bag?
    It occurred to me this morning I don't have a "good" bipod. I've got a cheapie McCheaperson pic rail mount NC Star and an old Harris that mounts on a sling stud that I've had 15 years or so. Both came on other rifles I bought and they're more helpful when taking pictures than what they were actually designed to do. I hit Amazon and ordered the M-LOK mount version this morning and it was waiting for me when I got home. I'll give it a whirl and if I like it, I'll get a second so I can have one for both the 10/22 and RPRR.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I can hit an 8" plate at 200 yds with my CZ 455 but I have no idea how I do that. If I had a mil dot scope it would be a lot easier. It's a challenge for sure but with the right gear I don't see why one couldn't expect 2 MOA with no wind. I'm considering a better scope for my 455 so I can replicate long range precision shooting with bigger bore rifles. My range is limited to 200 yds. It's a lot of fun and ammo cost is doable.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-22-2021 at 11:36 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Mostly 100 yards or less shooting with my .22's. For shooting with consistency out too 200 yards my reproduction 52B (Miroku) from the mid 90's with CCI Green-Tag and Standard get the job done. My Buckmark rifle becomes inconsistent past 125+ yards regardless of ammo but the glass is 4X Weaver Grand Slam scope (possible factor), this setup is great for tree rats. Because of the expense with CCI Green-Tag these days i tend to stay with the Standard.

Site Supporter
    .22 rifle shooting will probably be the bulk of my shooting this year. I have a Savage MKII heavy barrel. The factory plastic stock sucks, but I added a pound of lead to the hollow butt which helps balance the long heavy barrel better, as well as making it settle and hold stable on target much better. I also fitted 1” rings to it, and a cheek riser. So it sucks less, but I will probably upgrade the scope and stock in the next year or so. I can stack Blazer .22 or better (wolf, sk, lapua, CCI Standard, eley) in one hole out to 50 yards, and hit steel out past 100 with it.

There are several other .22 rifles that live here. LOL. But that one is the longer range, more precision oriented stick.

I think the heavy barrels really help with precision shooting, especially with high velocity cartridges that heat your barrel up with just a few shots. Barrel heat destroys repeatable POI pretty fast. I've proven that to myself with two Howa rifles. One has a heavy barrel and one a light barrel. Both are .223. The HB hardly ever heats up enough to change POI while the LB is only good for about 10 rds or less. I see the same thing with my Ruger Mini. Barrel heats up PDQ.

I know I'm not telling precision shooters anything here but many are getting 22 rifles for the first time to try the 200 yd game. If you want the most precision think about a heavy barrel.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List