Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 1911 Clones - Who Makes the Best?

What about the Sig 1911-22? There is one on GB for $412 and a few days to go.

From quick review it sounds like they are 35oz (so maybe decent materials???) and made in Germany. I almost bought the threaded GSG 1911 back in the day, but shied away from the "pot metal" reviews I was reading about. Ended up with a M&P22Compact as a host.

I picked up an Advantage Arms .22 conversion out of the used case about 8 years ago and it has been great. Very reliable with ammo it likes such as Remington bucket o bullets... Really, like 100%. Won't fit a standard 1911 holster though.

Site Supporter
    I have a Colt Ace I bought in 1982 and one of the Colt .22s (that are actually made by Walther) back in August.

I’m really impressed with the Walther so far. I do wish I had bought a version with adjustable sights. Neither gun is ammo sensitive. If you buy one if the versions with the rail, finding a holster for it might be an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    What about the Sig 1911-22? There is one on GB for $412 and a few days to go.

From quick review it sounds like they are 35oz (so maybe decent materials???) and made in Germany.
    Pretty sure the Sig's WERE actually GSG manufactured, that could have changed, but I doubt it. My GSG weighs 32ounces w/o magazine on my scale.

I've been perfectly happy with mine, probably a couple thousand rounds, not as many as some users report, but enough to know it works.

At this point, my choice between the GSG and Sig 1911-22 would be entirely based on price. Here are some links to articles.

This Sig Sauer (formerly GSG) 1911-22 is a full size 1911. The operation, and ergonomics are identical to a Colt M1911A1 pistol. In fact, many parts are interchangeable with a standard 1911-45. However, unlike the M1911A1, ammo doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It's this very reason that many people opt to supplement their training with a .22LR.
    http://www.firearmsinsider.tv/gun-ge...-pistol-review

SIG Sauer markets a .22LR based on the 1911 platform, but it is manufactured by GSG and, cosmetic differences aside, is identical to the weapon featured in this article.
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...s-gsg-1911-22/

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Looking hard at a Unit 2 kit. The Unit 1 is the higher end with the 1" @ 50 yards guarantee. Recall which your's was?

https://www.marvelprecision.com/marvel-unit-1
    The Unit 1.

Site Supporter

Kimber

I have a complete Kimber 1911 in .22. It runs well. I believe the frame and slide may be aluminum but, I'm not sure. It appears that Kimber sells only the conversion kits now: https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/1911/rimfire.

I have a Nelson, Marvel Unit one and a Colt

I have a Nelson on a dedicated lower. It is more accurate than I am. They come with a lot of alternatives, including irons, or red dot base, or both, as well as threaded barrels. Mine is very demanding as to lubrication. The Bullseye shooters seem to feel they have a better accuracy reputation.

I have a Marvel Unit One. It does have the option of a steel slide, which I see as being much more durable. The Unit 2 is cheaper, but does not lock back. I have the upper on the frame from the 1911 pistol my father was given by his commander in Panama in 1945. Since the frame was made in 1918, its metallurgy is suspect, so I only shoot it with the .22 upper. I needed to spend a lot of effort on liberal lubrication, and it works best with a "high" magazine catch.

The Colt conversion is the prettiest, but the least accurate, with its recoil chamber.

Think about what you want to do with this: accuracy, durability, looks, and your wallet is always part of your guide. I believe the Nelson and all the Marvels will work, with a little fiddle-bitching around, and be really accurate, and on most any full size frame, using pretty accurate but cheap CCI standard velocity.

User Tag List