Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 1911 Clones - Who Makes the Best?

.22 1911 Clones - Who Makes the Best?

I looked at the Browning 1911-22, but it's scaled down. I want something that is a 5" Government Model size and fits in my 5" holsters.

It looks like my choices are kind of limited here:

ATI/GSG 1911s (does anyone know if the mainspring housings can be switched from arched to flat?).

Colt/Umarex 1911-22 (seems like this might be the choice)

Others?

I'd prefer something that is complete, I don't have a spare lower sitting around to mount a conversion on right now.

I just got a Colt Conversion Kit delivered yesterday, I also don't want to convert back and forth so I am looking at buying a Brownells BRN-1911 frame and having a dedicated frame built up by a buddy who is a retired PWS armorer. I know that's the exact opposite direction that you want to go, and likely the most expensive option as well, but.....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Site Supporter
    There's a whole cottage industry built around turning the GSG 1911 .22s into race guns. I'd probably go that route. Check out CW Accessories and ZR Tactical Solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    There's a whole cottage industry built around turning the GSG 1911 .22s into race guns. I'd probably go that route. Check out CW Accessories and ZR Tactical Solutions.
    Does look like the GSG is the way to go for a 'turn key' approach. It does appear that you can use a standard 1911 MSH in them. That's great, a flat housing will mimic my guns.

Obviously, the best solution is a Colt or Marvel conversion on a dedicated frame, but it's not in the cards right now. I've got another gun to build first (9mm CCO). A .22 is a cheap(er) training aid to take advantage of the large amount of .22 I've accumulated over the years.

A Nelson iron-sight upper will go just fine on a .45 ACP frame/ejector, and I believe it will fit a standard holster. I could be wrong, though.

Changeover is not hard or time-consuming. Mine works fine with standard mainsprings.

Couple things about the GSG .22lr, my first handgun I bought when I turned 21:

-the frame is made from some kind of pot metal, expect gouges if you are abusive with your weapons.
    -sight cuts are not compatible with anything else, although it does include a bunch of spare (plastic) front sights you can switch out.
    -lots of cheap internal parts. Expect to buy the whole CW Accessories kit. Once you buy that kit, it turns into a pretty good gun.
    -Don't dry fire, ESPECIALLY after installing the CW Accessories firing pin, which is something you will want to get.
    -mechanically the frame is just about exactly a series 80 1911, so that's pretty cool. Not sure about parts compatibility such as the MSH, but I am fairly sure that most 1911 parts could be made to work with some fitting. Don't expect perfect tolerances.
    -buy a bunch of recoil springs, they wear out quickly.
    -trigger is good, not great.

Personally, I would strongly recommend you get a 22/45 instead. It won't fit your requirement of sharing holsters, but is just a vastly superior firearm, especially if you are going to be putting a lot of rounds downrange.

I have a late 1970s Service Model ACE. Handles like a 1911, even has a little recoil. Insufficiently reliable for competition. I would not expect a Colt Conversion to do better.

I have a Nelson Conversion on my least used Caspian action. A fine shooter with good ammo.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

When I wanted a .22LR 1911, I bought an RIA 1911, sold off the .45 barrel and slide, then stuck a Marvel .22LR conversion on it. It was the most accurate .22 pistol I've owned.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Couple things about the GSG .22lr, my first handgun I bought when I turned 21:

-the frame is made from some kind of pot metal, expect gouges if you are abusive with your weapons.
    -sight cuts are not compatible with anything else, although it does include a bunch of spare (plastic) front sights you can switch out.
    -lots of cheap internal parts. Expect to buy the whole CW Accessories kit. Once you buy that kit, it turns into a pretty good gun.
    -Don't dry fire, ESPECIALLY after installing the CW Accessories firing pin, which is something you will want to get.
    -mechanically the frame is just about exactly a series 80 1911, so that's pretty cool. Not sure about parts compatibility such as the MSH, but I am fairly sure that most 1911 parts could be made to work with some fitting. Don't expect perfect tolerances.
    -buy a bunch of recoil springs, they wear out quickly.
    -trigger is good, not great.
    I'll agree with this. The slide to frame fit, and the barrel/bushing fit is atrocious, so even with good sights you're not going to get decent accuracy (slide/barrel are lining up differently each time). I got the kit with the new bushing/threaded deal, guide rod, the $75 one, and it transformed the gun in this respect.

Sights - Dawson Precision makes a set for them, and they're great.

I haven't gotten an aftermarket firing pin, ejector, extractor yet and the little gun just runs. Once it starts hiccuping I'll get new springs and parts.

It's also a bunch of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    When I wanted a .22LR 1911, I bought an RIA 1911, sold off the .45 barrel and slide, then stuck a Marvel .22LR conversion on it. It was the most accurate .22 pistol I've owned.
    Looking hard at a Unit 2 kit. The Unit 1 is the higher end with the 1" @ 50 yards guarantee. Recall which your's was?

https://www.marvelprecision.com/marvel-unit-1
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List