Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mershon grips

Mershon grips

I tend to be a nerd at anything I really enjoy. It is easy to go deep down a rabbit hole when I am digging something. There is a reason I have 400+ books on hand-to-hand fighting and 300+ books on shooting.

Recently, after some deep conversations with Darryl Bolke, Chuck Haggard, Greg Ellifritz, and a long and very interesting phone chat with Wayne Dobbs, I have been a bit obsessed with revolvers. I always have had a special place in my heart for them, but it now that I am forcing myself to make time to get some live shooting in, that obsession has been more in the forefront. I went back through some of the books I have that go back to when revolvers were the only real choice and can pick up things I overlooked before.

One of those things was some of the gear used back in the day. In one of the books the author talks very highly about Mershon No. 10 grips. While I had read the same info before, this time it resonated more with me (most likely because of the live fire I have been putting in with my own wheelguns) and on a lark I went online to see if there were any available, and amazingly enough - considering that these grips have not been made in over 45 years, I found a good set on Ebay for $17!

Mine own general preference in grips tends to run towards smaller ones (the ones I liked the best have been the original narrow S&W stocks with a Tyler T grip) so buying the Mershons were more in the way of historical research and nerdiness rather than for my own EDC, but that changed after I got them. These things frickin' rock. I have literally never felt so comfortable but functional in any grip/stock anywhere, and that includes semi autos. They are "plastic" but with almost a slight rubbery "squishiness" that gives me the feeling of locking in the gun in a way I have never felt. They are still new to me so I have not done much shooting with them yet, but should be able to get in a good session later this week. So while this is a somewhat tentative conclusion, I am really looking forward to putting them through their paces.

They are not particularly pretty, but I am caring about the efficacy and looks be damned.

Name:  mershon grips.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  50.1 KBName:  mershon grips 2.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  51.0 KB
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

I love it when I find "the grips"

Pachmayr bought Mershon back in the late 60's to early 70's time frame. That was how they got the Presentation grip and their grip adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I love it when I find "the grips"

Absolutely. The funny thing is I thought I found them with the standard panels and a t-grip. But these are just at anther level for me.

Those old guys kind of knew a thing or two

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Absolutely. The funny thing is I thought I found them with the standard panels and a t-grip. But these are just at anther level for me.

Those old guys kind of knew a thing or two
    Nice gun btw. What front sight is that?

Looks like an older brother to my M66

My "Mershon shod" pre model 21 (pre 1946 long action) in 44spl.

My first revolver age 14.

Has a BIG pile of 246 grain Remington's to its credit and has worn those grip the whole time.

Name:  SW 44 and 45 s.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  28.3 KB
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post

Has a BIG pile of 246 grain Remington's to its credit and has worn those grip the whole time.

Brother Kelley,

You must tell us more about both of those magnificent revolvers! What is the one to the right? Who did the front sight improvement work on the pre-21?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter

Brother Kelley,

You must tell us more about both of those magnificent revolvers! What is the one to the right? Who did the front sight improvement work on the pre-21? Please start a new thread and fill us in!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Nice gun btw. What front sight is that?

Looks like an older brother to my M66

I'm not sure. I got this M66 from Sherman House and it was already fixed up that way. I will reach out to him and see if he knows.

BTW, the sight setup on this gun is the perfect one for any fighting revolver. If I could, I would replicate on every revolver I have.

Both of those are sweet as hell!

User Tag List