Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I thought our hobby included shooting.....

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have a healthy stock of 9mm and a decent amount of 5.56; probably enough to maintain profiency for the next few years. Plus a grab bag of 45, 40, 38spl, and .22. However, agreed with all the above. Ill still grab 9 or 556 when I can find them for reasonable prices (extremely uncommon) but I refuse to buy at current panic pricing. It's not affordable.

Even though I have probably far more than I need the current ammo crisis makes me feel guilty whenever I do get the time to go out and shoot it. Not very fun. I am going to try shoot up a bunch of my ammo (especially my 9mm) between now and when I go back to clinic full time in May as I am unlikely to every have this much free time again, but after that I'll be dry firing and subsisting on what I've already got stockpiled for the next few years.

Site Supporter
    I bought a recurve bow last summer, but I haven't used it much. Psychologically, I think it has the potential to be as rewarding as shooting guns.

I have enough ammo for the two classes I'm taking in March and for monthly live fire sessions for the rest of the year. I'll shoot more revolver this year than ever before because I still have the ~500 rounds of .38 Special I bought when Wal-Mart got out of the ammo business. I think/hope Biden is smart enough not to make a divisive issue like gun control a major early priority, but I know it's something he really wants.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I bought a recurve bow last summer, but I haven't used it much. Psychologically, I think it has the potential to be as rewarding as shooting guns.

I have enough ammo for the two classes I'm taking in March and for monthly live fire sessions for the rest of the year. I'll shoot more revolver this year than ever before because I still have the ~500 rounds of .38 Special I bought when Wal-Mart got out of the ammo business. I think/hope Biden is smart enough not to make a divisive issue like gun control a major early priority, but I know it's something he really wants.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    I’ve mentioned before that the last ammo shortage is what motivated me to buy my first compound bow. The discipline of archery would likely appeal to many here.

As an aside, my LGS recently secured 75k rounds of 9mm and they ration one box of ammo per customer per visit and for the reasons others have mentioned, I am glad of it. It may not be convenient or provide the quantity a customer wants, but that policy is keeping lots of people shooting. I have greatly enjoyed the feedback/ reviews of many here like @JodyH after their shooting outings and am disheartened to hear of these plans to bail on this rewarding pastime, but I understand. Maybe we need a gofundme of sorts to keep some of our members plugged in and shooting?

I doubt the ammo crisis is a financial issue for most people, for me it's more availability and "bang per buck".
    I'm not going to spend 2 hours standing in line at Academy to buy 100 rounds of 9mm or days scouring the internet to snag the last in stock box of ammo.
    I've personally spent more on mountain bikes and accessories in the past 2 months than I did on shooting stuff over the past two years.
    I also feel like I'm getting more enjoyment from biking than shooting, hence I bought a $2500 hardtail Surly Krampus SUS instead of 5000 rounds of 9mm.
    Same with the Trek fat bike I bought in January and the Trek hardtail for my son we'll be picking up this weekend.
    The "fun factor return rate" on my bikes has been exponentially greater than what I get from shooting.
    4 hours of mountain biking by myself or with my son is 100x more fun to me right now than 4 hours at a USPSA match.
    Two or more days of biking and camping... nothing shooting related even comes close except maybe ECQC .

I will probably buy a S&W 43C .22lr J-frame to do some live fire revolver practice with and continue to shoot my Glock 44 quite a bit because I have a lot of .22lr left over from when my son was shooting it a bunch.
    But I doubt I'll be shooting more than 50 rounds of centerfire handgun a month for a few years unless things drastically change for the better.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    But I doubt I'll be shooting more than 50 rounds of centerfire handgun a month for a few years unless things drastically change for the better.
    In speaking with an ammo dealer friend, 2020 saw the sale of approximately 7 million new guns, of which an unusually high number were first time gun owners who had no ammunition stores already. Even the people with ammo previously saved will buy on average of about 100 rounds for their new firearm (according to Federal report, not me). That is an extra demand on the marketplace of about 700 million rounds that was not present the year before. I have heard that the President of Federal has said new demand over the past year is at least that high. I am happy for all the new gun owners, but dang, and like Jody, supply and demand is weeding me out of the market. I have watched GunBroker over the last several days. I saw some 6.5 Grendel going for a little more than $4/round, 6mm ARC upwards of 2.25/round, 7.62 in the $1.50 range.

I may have to get into bike riding myself. Or, do more house chores.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

I have been to the range once this year. When I went I sighted in my 22 and my sons for squirrel hunting. I told him before we went that we would shoot but not like normal. I assured him we have plenty but may not be able to replenish for a while. When we got in the truck he looked at me and then looked in the back of the truck. There was only one 100 count 9mm ammo box in the back seat. Then he asked if I forgot to pack my pistols and I told him I was only shooting my carry gun. I went shot 50 rounds and called it good. On the way home he mentioned that we never leave having only shot what we had. I told him that it was also my first trip of the year and normally new years day I would have shot 2x's that of several calibers. Times change and so do priorities. I will shoot enough to remain efficient. I will commit to my carry gun. I will load what I need and grab ammo and components as I find it.

I hope all the new gun owners being the stereotypical new gun owner will keep their guns and leave it dormant until ammo supply return to normal. On the other hand, the selfish me hope they sell their barely used guns due to lack of use so I can pick through them. Thankfully, I've been stockpiling ammo for the last few years where I can maintain my usual shooting regimen for the next couple of years (but not to the level I should be doing where I would get really good at shooting). My new hobby is trying to get into shape (...again).

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    I’ve mentioned before that the last ammo shortage is what motivated me to buy my first compound bow. The discipline of archery would likely appeal to many here.

As an aside, my LGS recently secured 75k rounds of 9mm and they ration one box of ammo per customer per visit and for the reasons others have mentioned, I am glad of it. It may not be convenient or provide the quantity a customer wants, but that policy is keeping lots of people shooting.
    I think that this is our best short term solution. As long as demand is far greater than supply, almost everyone is incentivized to buy as much as they can afford. If the ammo can stay on the shelf, and many different people can each get at least some, then there's a chance to push down the panic buying, even if no one is shooting as much as they want, or have as much stockpiled as they want.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

When I was slinging lead yesterday (precision rifle with JV_, see my precision rifle money pit thread); JV_ pointed out that I need to go down a grain or so on my load and find the next lower accurate node to extend both brass and barrel life whilst saving powder. #HesRightYouKnow
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    When I was slinging lead yesterday (precision rifle with JV_, see my precision rifle money pit thread); JV_ pointed out that I need to go down a grain or so on my load and find the next lower accurate node to extend both brass and barrel life whilst saving powder. #HesRightYouKnow
    When I was a smoker, I respected the people who wanted me to stop smoking because it made me stink a lot more than those who were offended that I would take statistical years off my actuary table.

User Tag List