Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I thought our hobby included shooting.....

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    When I switched from racing cars, I joked that shooting was cheaper.

I might go back to racing cars this year...
    Wait until Biden does some work on gas prices.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    If ammo pricing stays the way it is, I imagine lots of folks who don't load their own will feel that way, and I can't really blame them. It's one thing when the ammo for the match costs me $10-15 and you $20-30. It's entirely another when it's still $10-15 for me but $100 for you. Hopefully everyone won't have given up on the whole idea by the time I'm ready to start going to matches again.

What are the rules on selling ammo you personally produced again? Can't do it at all without the requisite FFL (I forget which number it is) or just can't do it for a profit? I could maybe see helping a very small number of people out that way for a very small number of matches if it meant the difference between getting to shoot or not, but it definitely wouldn't be sustainable for any length of time.
    In theory, you'd get an 06 FFL to manufacture ammunition. Also an excise tax regime. The insurance will be prohibitive. In short, it's nice to consider, but not practical.

You'd need a direct pipeline for replenishing components, too. Not easy right now at anything other than extortionate pricing. Unless you have north of 100,000 primers on hand, you may not be able to safely share too many without wondering if you have "enough." (Assuming you shoot quite a bit...sounds like you do.)

Licensing, taxing and limits are coming for reloading components.

Site Supporter
    I just started my journey on reloading with a gp100 when this virus hit. Between the cut in hours and other factors that was inevitable due to I didn’t have the stockpile of components. Wish I had stockpiled before I wanted to reload. And yes @litllelebowski the these gas prices are gonna suck big time.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Well, there’s always golf!
    Last edited by JCN; 01-19-2021 at 09:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    It is never bad to have a few hobbies.

If self defense itself is your hobby, it is not a bad idea to consider really diving into the nerdy side of physical training or diet. You could take some medical training so that if a friend or loved one starts choking or having a heart attack you are able to be an asset to your community and work to save their life.

Maybe a defensive driving class with the kiddos or the wife? Maybe buy a decent flashlight, or some training with pepper spray or unarmed combatives?

Having lived through a number of bad ammo droughts, this one is certainly set to be the worst. I plan on buckling in, getting my physical training squared away and maybe a Stop The Bleed class as well. I've got basic first aid pretty well covered [emoji1787]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    In theory, you'd get an 06 FFL to manufacture ammunition. Also an excise tax regime. The insurance will be prohibitive. In short, it's nice to consider, but not practical.

You'd need a direct pipeline for replenishing components, too. Not easy right now at anything other than extortionate pricing. Unless you have north of 100,000 primers on hand, you may not be able to safely share too many without wondering if you have "enough." (Assuming you shoot quite a bit...sounds like you do.)

Licensing, taxing and limits are coming for reloading components.
    Right, I'm not thinking about making a business, just wondering if it would be legal to sell a little bit of ammo to fellow competitors at roughly my cost if it would help in terms of actually getting to have a match. If it require an 06 FFL to do that, then it's a complete non-starter.

As far as how much I shoot goes, I'm in that weird place between real competitive shooters and "normal" people - I'm usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5000 rounds of 9mm/year, which looks like "not enough" to real competitive shooters and "crazy gun nut" to people not in the know.

I sincerely hope you're wrong about licensing, taxing, and limits on components, but I'm also not about to bet against you. I'm sure that financial attacks of that sort are on the way.

I shot a 250-300 rounds of .45 ACP yesterday, outdoors USPSA practice.

Who knew that shivering in 36 deg temp, jumping into the car every 20 min to get warmer, swearing at the paster gun for running empty since pasting by hand was a bitch, and considering applying coffee from the thermos externally was a life of luxury.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Shooting as a "hobby" hasn't really been the case for me for a decade, due to limited range facilities. Dry fire and live fire to maintain proficiency is really where I have been for years.

Collecting guns is, however a hobby of mine. And I'm glad I decided to hop on the reloading train early in quarantine. I have enough primers, powder, and bullets to meet my proficiency needs for the next decade. Still, I am casually buying extra supplies when I see them. Of course primers are the difficult things to get.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Are we allowed to even say that on the new and improved PF these days?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    At this pount, I’m not ready to give up monthly proficiency live fire with my EDC.

On the other hand, blowing $100 in ammo to shoot a local USPSA match...i dunno.
    This is where I’m at. Once a month live fire? Sure. A 1200 round weekend class? Probably not.

User Tag List