Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I thought our hobby included shooting.....

I thought our hobby included shooting.....

With ammo prices as they are, my hobby has changed from shooting to hoarding. I hope I don't have to show my grandchildren (hopefully I have some) my collection of a few different rounds as if I were showing off a coin collection.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    With ammo prices as they are, my hobby has changed from shooting to hoarding. I hope I don't have to show my grandchildren (hopefully I have some) my collection of a few different rounds as if I were showing off a coin collection.
    My Uncle had just contacted me about what gun to buy his grandson for action shooting. Can't find a G34 MOS in stock anywhere. We were also talking about ammo and I told him that while I really enjoy punching holes in targets, I don't enjoy it as much @ 75¢ per hole. I shoot monthly for work and have cut way back on matches.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

At this pount, I’m not ready to give up monthly proficiency live fire with my EDC.

On the other hand, blowing $100 in ammo to shoot a local USPSA match...i dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    On the other hand, blowing $100 in ammo to shoot a local USPSA match...i dunno.
    If ammo pricing stays the way it is, I imagine lots of folks who don't load their own will feel that way, and I can't really blame them. It's one thing when the ammo for the match costs me $10-15 and you $20-30. It's entirely another when it's still $10-15 for me but $100 for you. Hopefully everyone won't have given up on the whole idea by the time I'm ready to start going to matches again.

What are the rules on selling ammo you personally produced again? Can't do it at all without the requisite FFL (I forget which number it is) or just can't do it for a profit? I could maybe see helping a very small number of people out that way for a very small number of matches if it meant the difference between getting to shoot or not, but it definitely wouldn't be sustainable for any length of time.

I did some shooting tonight, with brass and bullets donated by generous friends. I provided the pistol, primers, and powder.

Name:  917323ED-B7F8-4360-AE96-309356B6C26E.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  35.2 KB
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Most of the centerfire rounds I’ve been fired since March have been assembled in my garage. I imagine that is going to continue. I even sent a care package to my MIL after she bought her first handgun: spare holster I wasn’t using (how did you know it would fit?), factory wadcutters, light kicking hand assembled practice ammo, snap caps, and ear plugs.

Prolly ought to go make some more.

When I switched from racing cars, I joked that shooting was cheaper.

I might go back to racing cars this year...

Get friends, some airsoft pistols, and do some realistic force on force.

If training for defensive (rather than sporting) purposes, FoF is pretty useful.

FoF and dryfire can do wonders even with very limited live fire.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    When I switched from racing cars, I joked that shooting was cheaper.

I might go back to racing cars this year...
    Better do them both...in a year to two, they're both history.

User Tag List