Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I thought our hobby included shooting.....

I just found 2000 rounds of 5.56 and 9mm in a pile of household goods in our shop. That'll allow me to practice a little bit. I have enough powder and parts to make up about 5 years worth of 9mm practice ammo. I have a mothballed Dillon 650 and I loath handloading. I'm sure I'll get to the point of staying proficient, but it'll be work and not enjoyable.

My blue gun never runs out of ammo.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    At this pount, I’m not ready to give up monthly proficiency live fire with my EDC.

On the other hand, blowing $100 in ammo to shoot a local USPSA match...i dunno.
    Based on what I have on hand now, I can make it four years doing this, and have some left spare for a few matches. Probably not a 600 round a day class, however. At the moment I have two events in 2021, Tac Con '21 in Dallas and a Glock 1 day Armourer Course in August. Unless I want to spend for another few K rounds starting at $700/1,000, I will have to watch what I shoot. The rest of my focus in 2021 will be on "me", meaning meeting my diet and fitness goals, as well as considering starting BJJ.

I'm done with recreational and competitive shooting for probably 2 years minimum.
    I have enough ammo put aside to maintain a modicum of proficiency, but any improvements will have to come via dry fire.

The ammo flippers and hoarders are not only killing current interest in shooting but will kill future generations interest in firearms as well.
    Congrats flippers/hoarders you're contributing to the fading away of the 2nd Amendment.
    Kids coming of age today and over the next few years will not be shooters or enthusiasts, they'll be firearms agnostic at best.
    I saw it happen on a mini scale a few years back with the .22LR lunacy.
    At the gun club I run we lost a ton of kids to other sports when they could no longer compete with their rimfires. Most of them never came back.
    Those kids won't be standing up for 2nd amendment rights 2, 4 or 10 years from now.

I'm back into mountain biking.
    My son starts college in Grand Junction, Co. next year. So I'm thinking that Moab and that general vicinity will be my MTB vacation destination for a while.
    The next few years will be spent riding bikes (maybe I'll start racing again) and working out, maybe I'll dive back into BJJ and go for purple.
    Shooting is definitely taking a back seat.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    If ammo pricing stays the way it is, I imagine lots of folks who don't load their own will feel that way, and I can't really blame them. It's one thing when the ammo for the match costs me $10-15 and you $20-30. It's entirely another when it's still $10-15 for me but $100 for you. Hopefully everyone won't have given up on the whole idea by the time I'm ready to start going to matches again.

What are the rules on selling ammo you personally produced again? Can't do it at all without the requisite FFL (I forget which number it is) or just can't do it for a profit? I could maybe see helping a very small number of people out that way for a very small number of matches if it meant the difference between getting to shoot or not, but it definitely wouldn't be sustainable for any length of time.
    In general it’s a very bad idea to shoot other peoples reloads. As for selling ammo, I would be less worried about the FFL if selling small amounts at a cost and more worried about liability insurance. It’s all fun and games till somebody loses an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In general it’s a very bad idea to shoot other peoples reloads. As for selling ammo, I would be less worried about the FFL if selling small amounts at a cost and more worried about liability insurance. It’s all fun and games till somebody loses an eye.
    I'm aware of the potential safety/liability issues around shooting other people's reloads, but I couldn't recall what the baseline legality was. I do appreciate that some folks reading the thread may not be aware of those concerns, though, so thank you for bringing that point up - I should have mentioned it to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'm done with recreational and competitive shooting for probably 2 years minimum.
    I have enough ammo put aside to maintain a modicum of proficiency, but any improvements will have to come via dry fire.

The ammo flippers and hoarders are not only killing current interest in shooting but will kill future generations interest in firearms as well.
    Congrats flippers/hoarders you're contributing to the fading away of the 2nd Amendment.
    Kids coming of age today and over the next few years will not be shooters or enthusiasts, they'll be firearms agnostic at best.
    At the gun club I run we lost a ton of kids to other sports when they could no longer compete with their rimfires. Most of them never came back.
    Those kids won't be standing up for 2nd amendment rights 2, 4 or 10 years from now.

My son starts college in Grand Junction, Co. next year. So I'm thinking that Moab and that general vicinity will be my MTB vacation destination for a while.
    The next few years will be spent riding bikes (maybe I'll start racing again) and working out, maybe I'll dive back into BJJ and go for purple.
    It is a shame. But I'd be lying if I didn't look at those prices of .22LR and look at my crate full of it and think, "Yea man, that could turn into a nice down payment on a motorcycle."

But I can't bring myself to do it, because profiteering isn't really in my blood. Plus, I have three nephews and a niece coming of age to learn to shoot and I'll need to feed the guns they'll be using.

Yep, the hoarders and the flippers are doing more damage to the sport than they could possibly realize.
    The last time we went down this road, it was mainly a lot of neckbeards and BOC's, now it seems like almost everybody wants to play the game.

The game is even being played at the hunting ammo level. Just peruse GunBroker and check the price on 6.5 PRC.
    Nope, I ain't doing it.
    I've made the decision to buy a new rifle from a manufacturer who chambers in proprietary calibers, and they also have the ammo to support it.
    Yeah, its gonna be a little more expensive, but still far cheaper than paying "ass-rape" prices to people who probably don't even have a firearm chambered in round that they are trying to sell ammo for.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

One “advantage” of getting older, is that I do not need very much centerfire handgun ammo, because I have aged-out of high-round-count shooting sessions. By age fifty, I had to minimize shooting .40 S&W, through my P229R DAK duty pistol, using my S&W Model 17-4 revolver, instead, to shoot .22 LR. My chief let me switch to 9mm duty pistols, in 2015, so I transitioned to Gen4 Glocks, to also get a lower bore axis, but by age 56, in 2017, I had to stop shooting compact Nines, relegating my three G19 pistols to being trading material. Fortunately, I can still shoot my more- “orthopedic” G17 and G19x Glocks, and have a sizable quantity of Gold Dot and G2 9mm.

The K-Frame .22 17-4 may not be a close match for Glock training, but it is certainly relevant for proficiency with my .38 K-Frames, and my .357 Ruger revolvers, which have become my favored daily-use guns, anyway. I did, however, get caught with quite low amounts of .38 Special carry ammo, which I had planned to refresh in Spring 2020. I was buying 300 BLK/AAC, when I should have prioritized .38 Special and .357 Mag carry ammo. I had better luck replenishing my .357 carry ammo, mostly one box at a time, per shopping trip, per location, from a local sporting goods chain.

I have found that I can continue to get .22 LR ammo, in modest quantities, if I pay attention, and am not insistent on finding the lowest-cost stuff. I am doing OK, with .22 LR.

Edited to add: High-round-count classes are out of the question, for the foreseeable future, unless the trainers allow .22 LR. I don’t have a “hoard” of anything. Some of my ammo spent a short time submerged, during Hurricane Harvey, so either has to be pulled apart, and re-loaded, or, especially in the case of the premium duty/carry ammo, that may well have survived intact, shot very carefully, at a pace that allows stopping in the event of squibs. (Lesson: Store ammo ABOVE floor level.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-20-2021 at 02:16 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter

100% this...all of it.

My comments here may not make me any friends but I'm pissed off enough that I don't care at all.

This needs to be said, and understood, good and hard: if you are hoarding ammo above and beyond what your normal shooting regimen is; or hoarding just to hoard; you are part of the problem of high ammo prices. If not the problem. You are directly and impactfully contributing to the very problem you are trying to avoid. It's literally the dumbest thing I've ever seen, heard, or read.

Yes I realize that its a free country and you can buy item x,y,z in whatever quantity you damn well please. Fantastic. Wonderful. Rock on.

[But hear this: you are engaging in unconscionably poor sportsmanship. Remember that from third grade? Yeah that...Hoarding ammo is worse than the guys who refuse to tape up; worse than the guys who interrupt your drills to pick up brass for their reloading; and damn near as bad as gun grabbing politicians. I'm more pissed about ammo hoarding and prices than the election itself and by at least one whole order of magnitude.

Is this how its gonna be every time a politician with a D after their name is elected president? Every time there is a riot in a town 600 miles from you? Every time there is a flu outbreak?

@JodyH is 100% goddamn right--this stupidity is killing the sport, the lifestyle, the hobby, and degrading the accessibility to the 2A faster than any politician.

This also goes for hoarding of magazines and guns, though it isn't as much of a problem. Although it makes no sense at all either.

The people camping out at Academy the morning after ammo freight is unloaded? Yeah...fuck you.
    The idiot filling up a shopping cart of fucking birdshot because that is all that is left? Yeah..doubly fuck you because now birdshot is getting pricey and shotguns were a viable alternative.
    The weasels hitting refresh on ammoseek every 30 seconds because they have no life? Fuck you doesn't even begin to cover it...
    Ammo flippers? Eat shit and die in a bankruptcy court.

I'm a high income earner. I could easily afford $1.20/rd. But why should I when its because of dolts hoarding ammo more than they'd shoot in 25 years?

Right now I'm shooting 200-300 rds about twice a year. Only to keep rust at bay. Skill improvement? lol. Dry practice about twice a week.

Don't give me the reloading shit either. The time I spend reloading would be the time I spent shooting. I ain't got time for that. And I'm not going to be spending tons of time trying to diagnose jams as either gun problem or reload problem.

I'm moving back to other hobbies as well.

Racing? Not sure...still very costly and has the second highest political baggage behind guns. Hopefully morons don't start panic hoarding intake valves. Or 93 octane.
    Camping/Overlanding? Already way too trendy (thanks instagram), trails are too crowded, gear is stupid expensive. At least this is due to demand not idiocy.
    Guitar? So far prices seem stable on picks and strings and people aren't hoarding 4x12 cabinets, amps, and guitars...

If you want to take exception to this post and troll me. Don't. Save your time-- you could be using hoarding ammo. or flipping ammo. or planning your next bulk purchase. Or calling your bros at academy gun counter.
    Last edited by fixer; 01-20-2021 at 02:48 PM.

User Tag List