Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tubbs Flat Wire Recoil Springs

Wow, I was essentially asking "How do springs work?" Sorry.

Lots of good in-depth info from the M4C link. As I really wanted to avoid having a research project, the always sage advice of a Sprinco and H or H2 buffer is definitely the way to go for me. Thanks guys.
    My apologies to weasels.

Springco are fine if you take care of them but they love to rust if left outside. I had one fail in a 6920 that’s kept in a truck or an a 4-wheeler in a barn.

I recommend IMSI springs. They are chrome silicon springs, and seem to last longer than Wolff spring steel springs. I like them in my pistols. Tubb recommends chrome silicon springs. For AR-15s, I honestly like the JP silent captured spring system. Makes the AR shoot a lot smoother.

As far as the flat wire and the original post, in a confined environment like a pistol recoil assembly, or mainspring housing, a flat wire spring (rectangular spring cross section) allows one to get more cross sectional spring area into the same operating space. Chrome silicon plus flat wire design gives higher spring performance and longer life before replacement.

YMMV.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    Our local group has an "Optimized braced pistol" build that a lot of us run (maybe nine people I know of?), and the Tubbs spring is one of the spec'd parts. Maybe it's not for everyone, but it was listed as a non-negotiable part of this tuned gas build. My macro pistol with a Law Tactical folder has a regular buffer, and my build with a LW BCG has an empty buffer. Both run the Tubbs spring. They shoot soooooo soft, it's cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    The complete lack of response to this question is an answer all its own. I suspect the flat wire spring thing is not really a thing at all. I'll move on quietly...
    Amphibian over on ARFCOM has been running a number of full auto trials for improving controllability and smoothness.

Probably some of the best open source firearms testing I've seen posted anywhere. Full autismo analysis of multiple parts and combinations.

His findings were that the best in terms of rate of fire and controllability was:

The Amphibian
    -A5 Buffer Tube
    -Kynshot 9mm Hydraulic Buffer (same length as A5 buffer)
    -Tubbs Flat Wire Spring

That combo dropped a Midlength AR from 850-900rpm to 630rpm, with a smooth recoil impulse. This smoothness extended to semi auto fire as well.

Thats about the extent of what I know about the Tubbs though.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Amphibian over on ARFCOM has been running a number of full auto trials for improving controllability and smoothness.

Probably some of the best open source firearms testing I've seen posted anywhere. Full autismo analysis of multiple parts and combinations.

His findings were that the best in terms of rate of fire and controllability was:

The Amphibian
    -A5 Buffer Tube
    -Kynshot 9mm Hydraulic Buffer (same length as A5 buffer)
    -Tubbs Flat Wire Spring

That combo dropped a Midlength AR from 850-900rpm to 630rpm, with a smooth recoil impulse. This smoothness extended to semi auto fire as well.

Thats about the extent of what I know about the Tubbs though.
    Please, do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Anybody here have any experience with these? The sales pitch is heavy on theory and comes across as plausible but I never studied hard enough to be a real engineer.

So, I would appreciate real world experiences pertaining most of all to reliability and the shooting experience in a lightweight AR-15 build.
    Sorry, just noticed this. I have Tubbs flat springs in a couple of mine. I do like them. Not enough to equip all with them, but the are definitely silent -- which is cool. as for performance improvement in any other category -- I don't notice any significant difference.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

While shootability, perceived recoil and control ability are all niceties that many focus upon, others want extreme reliability. The reliability of the AR platform is highly dependent on many factors. Gas port size, Gas system length, Barrel dwell time, Buffer type & weight, quality of components, chamber dimensions, suppressed & unsuppressed, magazine feed lips, lubrication, ammunition and more (extractor performance ...) all factor into the firing cycle.

Mike Pannone conducted testing where he stressed the platform to the failure point then changed springs and buffers to document performance effects. And you will see in the article it was a specific AR of know origin and quality. Check out his article here: https://www.defensereview.com/m4m4a1...yre-our-fault/

To give a blanket statement that spring XYZ will do ABC in your weapon may or may not be true and may have unintended consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Please, do you have a link?
    Sorry, it was in the M16 section of ARFCOM. But when the forum got backed up after being deplatformed, I guess it disapeared.

But Amphibian is still there. His testing is on his website, but the m16 specific content has been put behind a password.

http://www.c3junkie.com/?page_id=164

This gives a hint to the level of testing though, with info on the Tubb spring:

http://www.c3junkie.com/?page_id=977

User Tag List