Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tubbs Flat Wire Recoil Springs

Tubbs Flat Wire Recoil Springs

Anybody here have any experience with these? The sales pitch is heavy on theory and comes across as plausible but I never studied hard enough to be a real engineer.

So, I would appreciate real world experiences pertaining most of all to reliability and the shooting experience in a lightweight AR-15 build.
    My apologies to weasels.

The complete lack of response to this question is an answer all its own. I suspect the flat wire spring thing is not really a thing at all. I'll move on quietly...
    My apologies to weasels.

I always heard to to just use a Sprinco blue, but I never ordered one. Got them in the cart now that I see the price is sane.
    #RESIST

Due to the superior nature of the materials used, Tubb Precision Stainless Steel Flatwire Buffer Springs have the same power as conventionally constructed "extra power" springs, yet provide that extra energy using a lighter spring weight.
    The quoted sentence exposes the snake oil. If the spring weight is lighter, where does the extra energy originate? How does that work in an AR? What gets the extra energy? Is it the bolt cycling faster?

Another way to think about it. The force of a spring is proportional to a constant times the distance the spring is compressed or stretched as long as the spring is within its elastic envelope.

Force times distance is energy. Power is energy per unit time. The spring weight is analogous to the constant. If the constant is smaller, the only way to get the same force is to increase travel. If that is not the case and travel is the same, the decreased spring weight has to result in decreased force. And that intuitively makes sense. In the rifle, the travel distance is fixed. So less energy should be the result. So how does the lighter spring result in extra energy?

The only way to have the same power with less energy for the same mass to be moved the same distance is to do the work in less time. So the rifle would have to cycle faster. That makes some sense as the same buffer is being moved the same distance. But if the rifle cycles too quickly, there are issues. So what benefit does the spring offer to the buyer? To the seller, it is obvious the spring offers a way to extract more money from the buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The quoted sentence exposes the snake oil. If the spring weight is lighter, where does the extra energy originate? How does that work in an AR? What gets the extra energy? Is it the bolt cycling faster?

Another way to think about it. The force of a spring is proportional to a constant times the distance the spring is compressed or stretched as long as the spring is within its elastic envelope.

Force times distance is energy. Power is energy per unit time. The spring weight is analogous to the constant. If the constant is smaller, the only way to get the same force is to increase travel. If that is not the case and travel is the same, the decreased spring weight has to result in decreased force. And that intuitively makes sense. In the rifle, the travel distance is fixed. So less energy should be the result. So how does the lighter spring result in extra energy?

The only way to have the same power with less energy for the same mass to be moved the same distance is to do the work in less time. So the rifle would have to cycle faster. That makes some sense as the same buffer is being moved the same distance. But if the rifle cycles too quickly, there are issues. So what benefit does the spring offer to the buyer? To the seller, it is obvious the spring offers a way to extract more money from the buyer.
    Only if the material is the same. The density of steel varies little, but the range of physical properties is vast.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Only if the material is the same. The density of steel varies little, but the range of physical properties is vast.
    Using spring weight in terms of firearms, like a 16# recoil spring for a five-inch .45 ACP 1911. Not using weight in terms of mass. In firearm terms, a 16# five-inch 1911 recoil spring should have a lower spring constant than an 18# five-inch 1911 recoil spring.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Using spring weight in terms of firearms, like a 16# recoil spring for a five-inch .45 ACP 1911. Not using weight in terms of mass. In firearm terms, a 16# five-inch 1911 recoil spring should have a lower spring constant than an 18# five-inch 1911 recoil spring.
    Got it, thought you were misapplying your physics

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Got it, thought you were misapplying your physics
    Oh, I probably am.*

*I am a EE by trade, so my statics and dynamics are not the best. Have not done much with it in thirty-plus years. Use a lot of thermo though.

I recently purchased a 9mm CMMG RDB upper and came across someone who did a pretty deep dive into optimal spring and buffer setup in the PCC context. Looking for the easy button, I ordered his setup (which includes the Tubb spring) but haven't even gotten the lower together yet so I have no personal observations to offer. He mentions liking the same setup for 5.56 though.

Around the same time I bookmarked this thread on M4C for future reading but never got back to it.

I’ve been shooting ARs pretty hot and heavy for about 20 years now.

I’ve played with a lot of different things in the buffer tube and have come to the conclusion that a mil-spec stainless spring and an H or H2 buffer is king of the hill.

The barrel and BCG is the heart of the system and getting that right is priority #1.

User Tag List