Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Seven days ago on my back property

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post

Ranchers on multi-use public lands they hold the grazing lease on:

They’re looking at me like I’m trespassing (I’m not - it’s a grazing lease, not a property title)
    This a very common and annoying issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Nextdoor:
    “Is this your dog? No collar, does not come when called. This poor dog is hungry. Note: she* bites! I think she may have been abused. If you see this dog, please help! We need to get her adopted by a caring family who can show her the meaning of unconditional love!

*I think this dog identifies as she/her, but can’t be sure.”
    I missed this part initially. Did they legitimately write, "I think this dog identifies as a she/her, but can't be sure."?

Words fail me if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Pretty much any gun will kill a coyote within its range.

.300 WinMag has a lot of range.

If you care about the hide, there are specialty loads in small, zippy calibers that Will dead the coyote and not tear up the hide. If what you care about is not letting the coyote tear up calves and hides are irrelevant, then what you use doesn’t really matter. Like you said, whatever you have in hand when you see the coyote is what you use.
    Yup, I've seen coyotes DRT at 100 yards from .17HMR.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I missed this part initially. Did they legitimately write, "I think this dog identifies as a she/her, but can't be sure."?

Words fail me if so.
    LOL, no. I made it all up. But it’s based on real Portlandia.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

The only thing I've seen not reliably kill coyotes is birdshot. Which makes a logical sense. Still, 20-gauge #8 at point blank range will get the job done. Just don't count on it doing the job beyond about 3 feet.

I've looked at a lot of coyote skeletons over the years (they are common in osteological collections) and my perspective is this: If you think the round you're using could kill a beagle with good shot placement it can kill a coyote same-same. Coyote skulls aren't particularly robust either. I would be more concerned trying to head shoot a pitbull, GSD, Mal etc. with a light round, than a coyote, even a big one.

Put some other way, if I were out wandering around with just a pistol at my side and saw a coyote I wanted/needed to take. As long as I was confident I could hit 'em cleanly at the distance, I'd shoot them with what I had on me.

LOL, no. I made it all up. But it’s based on real Portlandia.
    Thank fuck dude.

I was gonna have a hard brain reset.

Site Supporter
    The only thing I've seen not reliably kill coyotes is birdshot. Which makes a logical sense. Still, 20-gauge #8 at point blank range will get the job done. Just don't count on it doing the job beyond about 3 feet.

I've looked at a lot of coyote skeletons over the years (they are common in osteological collections) and my perspective is this: If you think the round you're using could kill a beagle with good shot placement it can kill a coyote same-same. Coyote skulls aren't particularly robust either. I would be more concerned trying to head shoot a pitbull, GSD, Mal etc. with a light round, than a coyote, even a big one.

Put some other way, if I were out wandering around with just a pistol at my side and saw a coyote I wanted/needed to take. As long as I was confident I could hit 'em cleanly at the distance, I'd shoot them with what I had on me.
    First coyote I ever shot at, I was running my little 30# Brittany poking around looking for quail, and had 2 #8s in my Spanish side-by-side. She was down a hill from me searching for scent in a patch of cover, about 80 yards out, when a coyote jumped up from the other side of the cover and started an active stalk toward her.

I drew my 9mm and made a one-handed standing attempt on it. Shotgun shifted to left hand, draw, aim, fire - faster than actually thinking about it. Kicked dirt in its face, and it took off for another county.

I wasn’t surprised that I missed - more pleased that I hit close enough to solve the situation without needing to stitch up my dog. There are times I don’t care if I miss, or make a bad hit. I’d have been just as pleased with a peripheral hit that had the same result. Of course, I’d be bragging on it if I’d managed a kill shot!!

Thank fuck dude.

I was gonna have a hard brain reset.
    <CTRL-ALT-DEL>
    https://www.datalounge.com/thread/25...y-working-dogs
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Probably a case of me missing the joke, but originally reported on Duffleblog, so satire:

https://archive.is/TO0Mc

The flip side about coyotes is that they can be amazingly difficult critters to put down at times. They may eventually go somewhere and expire, but I have seen some hit with large caliber hunting rifles that ran off. Generally due to bullets penciling through/not expanding.

Unless you hit something structural or CNS, they can take off and not be recovered. One year I was home on break and had about 30 days off in October so I hunted coyotes every day. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I would guess I shot around 25-30 that month.

A few times I even took my oldest daughter (the one who does the mounted cowboy action shooting) out with me. It is EXTREMELY challenging trying to get a squirrely little kid to hold perfectly still and be absolutely silent while coyotes are coming in. There were MANY blown opportunities during this time, but we still had fun as she got to see see lots of coyotes up close, in addition to other wildlife.

The night before her first hunt I told her that she had to go to be early, as we would be getting up early. She sometimes was hard to get to sleep but she went to bed that night without a fuss. I don't remember exactly what time it was, but I want to say probably around 4AM she comes bursting into the bedroom and asked: IS IT EARLY YET?!

I had her pick out a couple of small toys that she could play with when we set up. That way she would be occupied looking down and hidden behind the brush. She was doing exactly that and I was blowing on the mouth call. I was also watching this big yote come in from a few hundred yards out .

I was focused of Mr. Wile. E Coyote. when I hear this "DAD ! LOOK A COYOTE! Kiddo is standing up from behind our sagebrush blind pointing across the gulley right at the coyote, who has now come to a screeching halt. with a 'What the Hell!" look on his face.

Fortunately he was maybe (I don't remember exactly, its been to long ago) 100-125 yards away at this time and I dropped him.

This first pic is from that day, and she was enormously proud and that hunt. Truth be told it was probably my favorite coyote hunt. She added to the challenge for sure, but was loads of fun.

A couple others from the month.

User Tag List