Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seven days ago on my back property

Site Supporter
    Many years ago, I was on a scout camp and we were shooting .22s in the National Forest. Way up in the mountains. Hiked in.

Horse people on the trail (behind us - our impact area was the mountain), so we stopped shooting while they rode past. They got mad at us because we started again “too soon” after they were past us. With our .22 rifles.

Ranchers on multi-use public lands they hold the grazing lease on: out on horses, I’m shooting in a pit a trail passes by. They’re looking at me like I’m trespassing (I’m not - it’s a grazing lease, not a property title), and tell me I shouldn’t be shooting while they’re out there because I might kill someone, and shouldn’t I just go to the range, and my “big stuff” (5.56 AR) is scaring the horses. And they lost a cow there last year to someone shooting it.

I’m like, you heard me shooting, you chose to ride your horses past here while I was shooting, I’m sorry but what do you expect me to do about it that doesn’t include ceasing and desisting my current lawful activity? Because I’m not stopping. And I didn’t shoot your cow.

I like horses. I like people. I like target shooting on public lands. I don’t like being told off for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    Horse women are like dog women, but with the craziness scaled similarly to the relative size of the object of their fixation.

We had a lot of coyotes in Vancouver but we don't actually have many coyotes here; I think the cougars kill them.

We do have horse women and hobby farmers here, but they're kind of different if you live in an area with guaranteed cougars and bears. There's not really a place for the "you got my Martha Stewart Country Kitchen™ muddy, what the hell is wrong with you" type hobbyists. In fact when I was outboard shopping recently, I was in horse country...and man, those are more like "this kitchen seems like a nice, well-lit place to rebuild my Jonsered" hobby farmers.
    Bonus points for slipping in a chainsaw reference.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Folks, trust me when I say (again) the locals in my AO would be freaked out. Does anyone not understand how crazy horse women and hobby farmers are?
    Nailing a horse chick or a redhead is one of the Rites of Manhood.

Thread is critically lacking in coywolf discussion...
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Bonus points for slipping in a chainsaw reference.
    A writer who knows his audience is a writer who gets paid.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Coyotes are all over the place.

Some years we have a lot of pressure from them. A few can do a number on calves.
    My nephew in SW VA lost calves one year to 'yotes. He put two donkeys out in the pasture with the cattle. The donkeys wouldn't even let him in the pasture for the first two weeks...

Name:  1007131151.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  86.5 KB

My property is contagious with the National Forest. It sat empty for over a year and the rotes were used to walking right around the house. I took this picture of this particular mangy, scrawny fucker a few days after we moved in full time. I sent him "over the rainbow bridge" out of pity and a fear he might get snippy if he was sick enough.

Seven years later, my neighbor and I have pretty much made it so yotes don't approach the house. It's been five years or more since we lost a chicken to a yote. We don't go out into their land and try to eradicate them, and they seem to get they need to leave us alone.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    A writer who knows his audience is a writer who gets paid.
    Pesos deposited in your Luxembourg account.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    My property is contagious with the National Forest.
    It's been going around.

Fortunately, we're separated by a few miles from the national forest. Who knows what little beasties you can be exposed to there?

There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It's been going around.

Fortunately, we're separated by a few miles from the national forest. Who knows what little beasties you can be exposed to there?

Much more clever than the comment I had.

User Tag List