Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on APX

I am pushing 10k on the full size I use for competition, and concur with WARDOG68. Even on recon competitions with dirt and mud in the pistol, it worked with just the regular (heavy) recoil spring - I had no issues with it not returning to battery when fired, only when the slide is manually cycled. IMO it's the most comfortable full-size, striker-fired, polymer pistol to do volume shooting with on the market today.

The only other beef I have is the slide stop spring is generally too strong for the 21 round magazines to actuate once the magazine spring gets a little older. This is what causes the slide to not lock open on the big mags.

I carry the compact daily, it has seen a number of courses and competitions too, and it's my goldilocks grip size between the Glock 19 and 26 in terms of grip.

For the pre-panic prices, it was a total steal.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Hold on, in Italy you guys get APXs chambered in 9x21? That's rad

Civilians can't own 9x19, so everything sold commercially is 9x21.

So, I wanted to add:

I am by far any authority on shooting handguns or anything, but I humbly suggest that in today's market the APX might be the best deal for the price in terms of what you get.

Name brand gun for meme tier pricing. I got one for $360 plus tax last week and saw another full size at a different store for $350. The APX Carry sells for $340 which is competitive with those little SCCYs and definitely more affordable than a G43/43X.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Civilians can't own 9x19, so everything sold commercially is 9x21.

So, I wanted to add:

I am by far any authority on shooting handguns or anything, but I humbly suggest that in today's market the APX might be the best deal for the price in terms of what you get.

Name brand gun for meme tier pricing. I got one for $360 plus tax last week and saw another full size at a different store for $350. The APX Carry sells for $340 which is competitive with those little SCCYs and definitely more affordable than a G43/43X.
    The no military calibers / no 9x19 was a thing in France and Italy for many years but my understanding is it has been lifted or at least eased in recent years. There may still be local legal advantages to 9x21 but I don't think it's the only option.

Site Supporter
    Has anyone tried one with a manual thumb safety?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Has anyone tried one with a manual thumb safety?
    I'm still on the lookout for someone who has hotrodded a compact with the thumb safety...haven't seen it yet.

Mildly tempted to buy the part and drop it off at my 1911 'smith and say, "knock yourself out." I don't know what I don't know, and I don't know what he doesn't know, and he doesn't know what he doesn't know, so, I wait. Sounds simple, though.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have an APX.

It does not get used a lot, since I'm replete with about 9 guns between Gen5 Glocks and M2.0 Smiths and those really hit the sweet spot for me.

But that's honestly a shame. The APX is not only a good or acceptable gun, it's an excellent gun with few real critiques. It looks funky and the slide serrations don't work as well for bare-hand gripping as you'd think, but that's...really all. The trigger is solid for a striker. It's very comfortable. Recoil is very soft. Most critically, and typically of Beretta, it is superbly reliable with excellent build quality. I can shoot mine fairly accurately.

I'd say it's my 2nd favorite striker platform after the Gen 5 Glock / M2.0 Smith, which I consider equally excellent and tied for my #1 spot.

A person buying into a striker system with Red Dot, Full Size, and Compact options could do a WHOLE lot worse than taking the APX dive. If you need a Subcompact option, stick with Glock or M&P for the G43 / Shield M2.0, as the APX Carry is not ready for primetime.

At the $324 shipped that I paid, it is tied for my $129 truly excellent grade, all matching 1943 Izhevsk Mosin as the best gun dollar I've ever spent.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The no military calibers / no 9x19 was a thing in France and Italy for many years but my understanding is it has been lifted or at least eased in recent years. There may still be local legal advantages to 9x21 but I don't think it's the only option.
    It still is a thing, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    It still is a thing, as far as I know.
    I can confirm, the 9x19 ban is still in force. .45 ACP is now allowed, though. Before 9x21 was developed, 9mm Steyr was an option, but didn't fit in 9x19 platforms. 7.65 Luger was popular in Browning HP and Beretta 98 pistols. Also a shortened .45 ACP cartridge called 45 HP. These oddball calibers go for half the price of 9x21 pistols.

I've been seriously tempted to pick up a P220 in 9mm Steyr. They're generally in 99.9% condition, and a few hundred Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by WARDOG68 View Post
    I did quite some work and usage, in the last three years on the APX, is a very good pistol, wonderfully apt for smaller hands, with really good ergonomics,

This is what I do regarding to trigger pull on the apx, I coat the components in a proprietary finish, rework the sear and trigger lever, Install an internal overtravel stop (I advice against external screws, for serious usage), done.
    When are we going to see your parts in the US? It looks like you have some APX grip frames with innovative molding, as well as triggers.

This video shows WARDOG68's APX triggers and grip frames:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlwe...ature=emb_logo

The grip frame is at 15:54.

I didn't know Italians pronounce APX as "A-pix".
    Last edited by john c; 02-05-2021 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I didn't know Italians pronounce APX as "A-pix".

"ix" is how you sound out the letter X in Italian.

User Tag List