Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on APX

Thoughts on APX

Looking to get one and just wants some thought, experiences on the APX.

Do a search for Beretta APX. There is a good thread with lots of feedback. I have one and it is a really nice gun for grip size and shape, smooth controls and very soft shooting. I thought of selling it with prices being so good but it is just such a nice gun especially for smaller hands or recoil sensitive I haven't listed it.

It's a hidden gem. I tried them all and settled on the Centurion . If I could find one, I'd get another in full size.

The long APX thread is a pretty solid source of info. I had a full sized that aced the 2000 round challenge, wish I had kept it honestly. I’ve got a Centurion now. I bought a compact grip module to go along with it and now it’s kind of a double duty piece for me. It’s been perfectly reliable although I haven’t put the rounds through it I did the full sized.

It’s big selling point before all the panic was that it was affordable. I think I paid about $325 for my Centurion. That’s a steal for a quality pistol from a reputable maker, in my opinion. Beretta seems to be doing a good job of supporting the gun with parts for sale on their website. It also seems they’ve won a fairly large contract in Brazil so hopefully that means the gun will stay around and supported for a while.

All in all, if you can find one for a reasonable price I’d say jump on it. In the current market, if you don’t like it you probably won’t have any trouble finding a buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickap7 View Post
    As of today, I have four Beretta APX pistols (two full size with dots, two Centurion) that have a combined round count of 5,277. The highest is my APX RDO, which is the full size gun with Beretta's red dot system. It has 2300 and change on it. Full disclosure, Beretta has provided ongoing support for me in terms of gear, including 3 of these APX pistols.

General recommendations: all the APX guns benefit from adding the APX Competition Striker spring. I have these in all of my guns, and have never experienced a light primer strike of any type. In the full size guns I also have the metallic RSA to add a little weight to the front of the gun, since the shortish barrel/slide combos tend to be a little snappy.

General opinion: the best APX is the RDO full size, it has ballpark the same dimensions as the Glock 45, which to me is the butter zone for guns. I want a girl with a short slide and a long grip. Beretta is absolutely committed to the APX lineup, and is doing a pretty good job of supporting the product, the Beretta USA store has a ton of aftermarket parts for the APX, including sights, grip modules, and other accessories.

The only real "problem" with the APX is that Beretta was late to the market with it, and it doesn't enjoy the robust secondary support of the Glock or the Sig P320 platform. There are a lot more people doing work on 320s than there are APXs, so if you want an aftermarket trigger you have to buy it from some custom dudes in Italy.

I did quite some work and usage, in the last three years on the APX, is a very good pistol, wonderfully apt for smaller hands, with really good ergonomics, I shot more than 100.000 rds on three apx, by far my favorite is the centurion, also the compact is really good for CCW, what I've found is that in full size version, return to battery with stock recoil springs are not always guaranteed, that would be a huge problem if used in adverse conditions, personally I use a custom recoil rod and spring, done by myself, single spring 18lbs, it performed flawlessy for 10.000 rds straight, with mud, sand, dirt and water. A simpler and cheaper solution, albeit perfectly functional would be using the recoil rod and spring for the .40sw caliber, it's stronger than the 9mm version, and always guaranteed return to battery. The .40sw recoil rod and spring is the nr.1 upgrade I recommand to any apx owner. In my very humble opinion.

As for the competition green rod striker spring, it performed well with commercial 9x21 rounds, BUT, I've had occasional misfires. But that's my experience. I would not use it for service/self defense use. It lower trigger pull weight very minimally.

One item that is truly useful is the oversized slide release. Back in the day when aftermarket was scarse, we bended out slightly the stock slide release. 10min with a leatherman tool, and you will have a perfectly functional release even with gloved hands.

I advised this mod during a shooting course done by BDSA (beretta defense shooting academy) done to lagunari troops (amphibious infantry), It worked quote good.

As for trigger mods, my very humble 2cents.. I'm absolutely against any mod done to trigger body or safety, in the apx the trigger safety is of paramount importance. For competition, anything (even silly things) goes, I work mostly on service/self defense/ccw items. I've seen here trigger safety springs cut with pliers to lower pull weight, or bending and cutting sear spring, and grinding trigger body or safety, I really would not do that.

You can have a nearly 1911sh trigger pull in a APX, with moderate work (done by a gunsmith worth his salt, obviously) It's mostly reworking the sear engagement, you can NOT shorten pretravel, that would pose significant reliability problems, as now.

The biggest problem in the apx trigger pull is the reset, it can be done amazingly short, BUT, it's really feeble, that is because the trigger return spring can not guarantee a forceful trigger return in battery, but, bear in mind this is shared by most of the newer striker fired pistol, in which trigger return is dependant only on a spring.

In my apx usage I've seen a problem with sand regarding trigger return to battery. But, this is a problem I've seen in other guns as well.

This is what I do regarding to trigger pull on the apx, I coat the components in a proprietary finish, rework the sear and trigger lever, Install an internal overtravel stop (I advice against external screws, for serious usage), done.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJAoDc9qSkJ/

(mods if the link is against rules please delete)

Hold on, in Italy you guys get APXs chambered in 9x21? That's rad

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickap7 View Post
    I have a few hundred rounds through my Centurion. I like it a lot. If I didn't have so many Glocks and holsters for them, I could see having the APX as my main platform.

I'd probably get a Centurion, if they offered a thumb safety kit with a non-finger-groove grip frame.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List