Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You won't believe what broke on my Glunk!

When I was working overseas I kept a complete bolt carrier group on a ziplock bag that had a bit of motor oil in it. The bag was wrapped in a rag and shoved in my pack, that I kept in my vehicle. I figured that the vast majority of rifle related issues could be handled in the field by just swapping out BCGs. Plus if I had a gun go down, I did not have to to be doing any analyzing, I just needed to get it up and running, and that was a simple way to handle it.

I never ended up using it, and nobody else did either, which was fine, but it was good insurance to have, and took up little space.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I go with the Overwatch Precision striker just to avoid this possibility. It's milled, not MIM, but otherwise identical to the OEM striker... No lightening cuts, holes, or other nonsense that could create a breakage or compromise safety.
    (I learned my lesson with a milled and lightened striker from a well known source that broke at the striker's tail... As in the whole fucking tail snapped off. I'm sure they would have replaced it for free but I wasn't interested in another one, having lost all faith in the product)
    Is the OEM striker MIM...?

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Is the OEM striker MIM...?
    Yes they are, for quite a while now. Even so, they rarely break, but as you found out it does happen.
    But a milled part can also break, so there's that too... Shit happens, stuff breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Parts do break. I lost a trigger return spring in a HK. Now I keep track of my round counts and replace high wear compenents on a preemptive basis.
    I agree, and really have no complaints. Was mostly just curious if this was unusual. I was surprised because it seems like a relatively low-wear part.

Even at $50, replacing a striker after 25+ years and many thousands of rounds is a pretty amazing ROI. I probably paid $400 for the Glock. The same Glock that was in the same Kramer IWB#3 for my first-born's birth (he's now a Marine), and at the birth of my daughters, four and then eleven years later, respectively.

Speaking of which, that Kramer IWB#3 is as good today as the day I got it--maybe a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    This one threw me for a loop.

So I have an old G19--Gen 2 I believe, circa mid-90s--that I bought new and has been my primary carry piece over the years. It probably has 10-15k rounds through it. I've made no changes to it other than sights and the recoil spring a couple of times, just to be safe. I've had two broken trigger return springs in that time, the second one being just a month or so ago.

I'm not exactly useless, but I tend not to fiddle with the internals of my handguns too much, recognizing my own limitations, and figuring they were designed that way for a reason. Having not detail stripped the gun in many years, I watched a video and replaced the trigger return spring (OEM).

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I head to the range. The first few rounds worked fine, then I get a click instead of a bang. Tap-rack-(no)bang. Detail strip again, thinking I must've reassembled it incorrectly when I notice the striker doesn't have much of a pointy end. Looks like the tip sheared of pretty cleanly. Pic here.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? Seems like a low-probability type of incident, but maybe I just haven't been paying attention. I'll order a new striker. Planning to just buy OEM, but is there any advantage to an aftermarket model? I don't think the lock time is the problem when my rounds go wide, but figured I'd ask. Also, are all G19 strikers the same (through the generations)?

Thanks!

Great title....so original.....

This may not be a popular answer, but I tend to keep a low round count carry gun and have a second one that I run until it needs cleaning or breaks.

Because stuff breaks and 15,000 rounds could be 10 years or could be 1 year... and do you replace things early preemptively or just have peace of mind with a backup?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    This may not be a popular answer, but I tend to keep a low round count carry gun and have a second one that I run until it needs cleaning or breaks.

Because stuff breaks and 15,000 rounds could be 10 years or could be 1 year... and do you replace things early preemptively or just have peace of mind with a backup?
    I think it's actually a pretty popular answer on PF, likely more so than on some other forums. It's a good practice. I'll admit that the G19 has been my primary, but not only CCW piece. I'm (apparently) not willing to limit myself to just one, nor to buy a duplicate P226, 1911, P7m8, etc. I do have a G17 that doesn't get much use and a G34 (cheater gun), but I find the G19 to be just different enough that those don't really count as stand-in trainers...

This has gotten me thinking about spare parts I need to purchase, though, for a variety of pistols. I usually think of springs--I wouldn't have expected to need a replacement striker. Perhaps wrongly, but I don't really think of it as a high-wear item. ...and they say dry fire of modern centerfires is not problematic, so I don't know what would have caused it. I'll do some rooting around re: the spare parts kits; I'm certain plenty of smart people have thought it through and shared it before.

If there are any GSSF matches near you, bring the old 19 to the armorer.

They’ll replace all the parts that have been superseded by newer versions without charging you for it.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Yes they are, for quite a while now. Even so, they rarely break, but as you found out it does happen.
    But a milled part can also break, so there's that too... Shit happens, stuff breaks.
    Glock firing pins are milled. They are not and never have been MIM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HTM View Post
    Glock firing pins are milled. They are not and never have been MIM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't work for Glock so I can't say anything more than most of the community, including other manufacturers, believe that Glock has switched to MIM firing pins.

User Tag List