Thread: Speed Six cylinder swap

Speed Six cylinder swap

I have a Speed Six in 9mm, a keeper.

Would it be feasible to fit a .357 cylinder and crane assembly to this revolver just for ammo flexibility? There are plenty such assemblies available right now.
    My apologies to weasels.

Depends when both revolver and extra cylinder were made.

Will likely require some gunsmithing, but have seen it done.

Thanks for the reply. I picked up a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manual where he mentions what is necessary to fit a new cylinder. If I were to stumble upon a trained Ruger 'Six gunsmith I might have it done. As it stands now, I'll just shoot 9mm in it.

It's cheaper ammo anyway!
    My apologies to weasels.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I picked up a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manual where he mentions what is necessary to fit a new cylinder. If I were to stumble upon a trained Ruger 'Six gunsmith I might have it done. As it stands now, I'll just shoot 9mm in it.

It's cheaper ammo anyway!
    TBH, .357 Speedys are the cheapest of the bunch these days. I’d much rather just buy another gun than mess with the (relatively) rare 9mm one you have.

JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Other Way ‘Round

Early days of IDPA, I was looking at alternative clipguns for SSR.
    Smith .38 Super or .40 maybe, but I was leaning toward putting a 9mm cylinder in a Security Six.
    But they changed the Division specs before I could round up the bits and pieces.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List