Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Today’s “big cat” interlude

We were fortunate to be able to visit Kenya before the world went completely nuts. There were only three times I was nervous while there. The first was on our way to Samburu and groups of Somali immigrants were (lightly) harassing the tourists in the Land Cruisers. The second was in Samburu National Park where we saw a female leopard dragging her gerenuk breakfast through a gully while being stalked by a solitary hyena. She would occasionally stop and glare at all the chattering tourists.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_12b.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  88.1 KB

The worst was while taking a short tour of Lake Naivasha by boat. We got a little too close to one hippo for my tastes. This picture was taken right before it dove to chase us off.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_3de.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  53.1 KB

Fortunately the guy running the boat recognized the signs and had scooted us out of the way when it came back up.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

On my trips to Africa, I would never see a leopard (at least during the daytime). Those suckers are elusive. A hippo? Those things are just plain dangerous. They will attack you just because you walk on two feet. I sat hidden by a river for about an hour trying to figure which head popping above and below the water was a bull (they look the same with their mouths closed). My PH and I took our best guess, the shot this one square in the head with a .375 H&H and it went down under water. It took a while but we got a cable around its neck and dragged it out from the water with the Landcruiser. Turns out it was a cow. I saw an entry hole in the head but it look fine. We surmised that I may have knocked it out and it simply drowned.

Name:  Hippo.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  70.2 KB

Site Supporter
    that is a big critter, Paul.

I don’t want anything to do with critters that just get ‘knocked out’ by a .375 H&H!

We were pretty lucky to see several leopards. Three in Samburu and two in the Masai Mara. This guy we saw right before dusk. It’s one of my favorite memories of Africa.
    Name:  3CC740FD-EE9A-4C10-8EBF-146C6021EA44.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  102.0 KB

Name:  5805012E-0D8F-4981-BC23-DD19A3C0290A.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  87.9 KB
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Wait for it...

Wrist control. Worked hips out so as to get foot on cats hip, pushed him out. All while being worked over with “claw pics” (play on clinch pics) And I bet he did not take Craig’s class. I’ll bet he can now roll that window up like no one else.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    Wrist control. Worked hips out so as to get foot on cats hip, pushed him out. All while being worked over with “claw pics” (play on clinch pics) And I bet he did not take Craig’s class. I’ll bet he can now roll that window up like no one else.
    Would have been the spot for a Clinch Pik if ever there was one.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Would have been the spot for a Clinch Pik if ever there was one.

That is exactly what they are designed for.

User Tag List